LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 11:54 am 

Anyone have any idea what the details are on this?

It looks like a bolt-on kit. I can't access the web site at work, so no idea past this video!

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 12:49 pm 

That's pretty similar to what I had always pictured myself ending up with, if I had started down the 'traditional 7' body path. It still has some room for improvement, but overall it looks pretty darn good! :cheers:

Now that I'm looking at it and thinking about it again, I don't see anything there that would be incompatible with the full-bodied frame I'm building either. Dual interchangeable body options could be fun, and it may be easier to get any type of 'Lotus 7' replica through the DMV than a "Lola Mk 1" replica...Hmmm, or maybe I should just try to stay (get re-) focused on building the chassis right now. :BH:

...Although, I wonder how that would look as a 'hot rod' in the middle, rather than a '7'... :twisted:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Last edited by Driven5 on March 10, 2016, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 1:20 pm 

I agree, lower the bottom on the nose come down to the diaplane and your have a lot of room for cold air setup, oil cooler, maybe intercooler. I was thinking of doing something like this starting with the nose cone and diaplane, then use (i don't know what to call them), a fender that starts at the diaplane and over laps the wheel mounted fenders. So you would have a more aero nose, later add the side pods.

Graham

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 1:53 pm 

I couldn't find anything about it at http://www.capuletlife.com/

I like the basic look (big surprise there; you'll note my avatar looks similar...as do some Donkervoorks [sp?]) but you're right re the nose should come down to the diaplane. From both the aerodynamic and aesthetic standpoints, that hollow wedge makes no sense.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 5:32 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
easier to get any type of 'Lotus 7' replica through the DMV than a "Lola Mk 1" replica...

I think Jack is selling a body kit, it's not identical to a Lola, but fills the bill. It would just as well be used to make this, which Steve McQueen used to drive. I can't tell the difference from this Jaguar D-Type and the pictures of Jack's car. Less women draped on it, but it might be that Jack looks a little more approachable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 5:40 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
...From both the aerodynamic and aesthetic standpoints, that hollow wedge makes no sense.
That's why I'm thinking it has to be a Bolt-On Kit... if it was an as-built, no one would be leaving such a killer of streamlining out in the open like that!

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 5:43 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
which Steve McQueen used to drive.

Damn... That man had some style!!

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 5:51 pm 
We are Slotus!

Shoot... Nuthin' to it. Get some foam insulation from Home Beepo, some fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin and a whole boat-load of sand paper, and you too can do something stupid in the name of "Aerodynamics"!!!!
Attachment:
7 28 13 AX in Moultrie2.jpg
And now, three years later, I still haven't built a d*mn hood... Sigh...
:cheers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 6:18 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I think Jack is selling a body kit, it's not identical to a Lola, but fills the bill.
Yep, that's the one I've got...We'll at least half of it so far. But I believe the Lola was technically a sports-racer rather than a GT car, thus never sold for street use, and I haven't been able to get any official statements from anybody with the state as to whether it has to be a "replica" of an originally street legal vehicle or can be any car that has ever existed. Trying to pass it off as an XKSS (street legal D-Type) might be an option, but there are also so few of those in existence, and they are so rarely replicated, that I'm not sure how much easier it would be than the Lola to convince the powers that be to agree to its "replica" status or not. Lotus 7's, and even moreso hot rods, are common practice though...Then again, the bolt-on 'LeMans' sides still might not exactly help my case with those either. Regardless, since I've got a few different options that should allow me to to burn that bridge when I get there, I 'm not actually going to worry too much about it until I'm a few years closer to having the car on the road.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 7:14 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
...it may be easier to get any type of 'Lotus 7' replica through the DMV than a "Lola Mk 1" replica...
My local DMV could care less; as long as you can tell them what vehicle it "most closely resembles" they'll register it according to their rules for replicas. Here in Oregon (but most other states have similar rules--see <http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA> or the lead Registration page here on LocostUSA) a replica is...

Replica. A vehicle with a body built to resemble and be a reproduction of another vehicle of a given year
and given manufacturer.

...but there's some dispute about what a "vehicle" is.The question is, is a race car a vehicle? To alleviate that concern, I brought a photo of a licensed Lola Mk1 being driven on the street in the '50s as evidence. I'm away from my evidence locker at the moment, but I'll hunt it up for you.

Anyway, point is, both the Lotus 11 and Lola Mk 1 were available in street trim pre-1960, and there is adequate evidence to keep your DMV happy.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 9:08 pm 

If you need evidence to support a claim that the vehicle you replicated both existed and could be driven on the street you should google around looking for copies of the original FIA homologation papers for the source vehicle. These documents have all sorts of pictures in them, sometimes some drawings of parts of the cars, specifications and measurements and they have the added advantage of being VERY official looking in that they are covered with signatures and stamped seals.

I carry a copy of the FIA homologation papers for my Abarth in the car and they've helped me out when I was once stopped by a cop for driving a tiny, loud, "race car" that had no bumpers and had the engine cover jacked open "so that the license plate was obscured". I was able to pull out the official documents that proved that the car came like that in 1959, that I hadn't modified it, and I got to drive away without a ticket.

If anyone already has FIA docs for a Lotus 7 and/or for a Lola maybe they could scan them and post them so that everyone could have a copy.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 9:14 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
To alleviate that concern, I brought a photo of a licensed Lola Mk1 being driven on the street in the '50s as evidence. I'm away from my evidence locker at the moment, but I'll hunt it up for you.
Thanks Jack, that would be great! :cheers:

PostPosted: March 11, 2016, 10:35 am 

Driven5 wrote:
Trying to pass it off as an XKSS (street legal D-Type) might be an option, but there are also so few of those in existence, and they are so rarely replicated
But you hit the nail right there....

Rarely replicated... but they are replicated.

Few In Existence... Hence the reasons to replicate one.

Just beat them with undeniable logic! :BH:

K "esq" S

PostPosted: March 11, 2016, 1:04 pm 

botbasher wrote:
Just beat them with undeniable logic! :BH:

K "esq" S

Like my experience w/ Kentucky so far?

"Yeah, it's a replica of a 1958 Lola, but we have to have modern tail lights, so we will make you install 4 lenses in back... yeah, it really p*****s off the Cobra guys when we do that to them..."

For some reason, the Ford Vickys tend to be exempt from that.

Oh, and I must have a windshield w/ safety glass, not to mention a windshield wiper, 'cause, well, rules. Yes, that Bombardier has the plexiglass the original Lola had, but I must have safety glass. And a windshield wiper, even if it's one of those hand-operated thing you can remove...

/rant

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 11, 2016, 7:12 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

botbasher wrote:
Anyone have any idea what the details are on this?

It looks like a bolt-on kit. I can't access the web site at work, so no idea past this video!

It was brought up a while back. Neat kit. I wonder if any sold.

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2014/03/5k- ... lotus.html
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16567&hilit=capulet&start=15

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12