LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 10:42 am 

Any opinion if the carbon miss-match looks ok or not? Should i just smooth everything out and paint black? Yes the far edge needs to be contoured and blended to the top part.

Still getting either little bubbles or dirt on the part when i add the gloss layer of epoxy. Its driving me crazy! I will probably have to sand it down and pay some one to clear coat it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 11:22 am 

Those little divots are likely evidence of pin-holes in the CF laminated. I think I read somewhere that you could start with a warm substrate and let it cool as the epoxy cures so the air in the pinholes doesn't expand during cure, escape and cause the craters (those of us in the cozy north could just turn up the thermostat for a bit and then turn the heat off for a while). Could be an old wives tale.

I don't think that observers will worry about fabric orientation. The 'Gee Whiz' of bare CF generally overwhelms and detailed critique.

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 11:25 am 

there were not any pinholes in the top layer so it has to be sone sort of contamination. Thanks for your opinion too!

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 6:10 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
Any opinion if the carbon miss-match looks ok or not? Should i just smooth everything out and paint black? Yes the far edge needs to be contoured and blended to the top part.

Welcome to my world...........with using 2nd quality fabrics and wet ply lay up/vacuum bagging techniques this is the norm. No one will really take notice except you. If they do, there is a wonderful quote I saw some where on this forum that you can use. Give me a few minutes and I'll find it.

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 12:05 am 
We are Slotus!

jaf wrote:
Welcome to my world...........with using 2nd quality fabrics and wet ply lay up/vacuum bagging techniques this is the norm. No one will really take notice except you. If they do, there is a wonderful quote I saw some where on this forum that you can use. Give me a few minutes and I'll find it.
Not sure if this is 'zackly a "wonderful quote" or not, but I kinda like this one:
Attachment:
Notice to Critics.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 12:22 am 

If you like it, keep it as-is. If you don't, paint it. Anybody who disagrees with your opinion and decision, can go pound sand.

But to answer your question, it looks absolutely fine!...Mismatch and all. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 2:17 am 

Having worked with CF professionally for a few years the "Awe" wore off quickly.
Particularly after the advent of fake CF veneer! :ack:
I intend to do some CF parts for my own projects, and to paint them.
I'm after the weight savings and could not care less if anyone is impressed that I used CF or how flawless it might (not?) be
It may be only me that sees it that way. :?

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 10:01 am 

Most of the CF parts (runner bodies especially) I make for my iceboat get painted - I use the material for stiffness not bling. I built a CF tiller, for lightness with stiffness, but left it clear. The finish is ugly, but the audience that counts (fellow sailors) think it's great that I built a CF tiller. Don't sweat the odd wrinkle!

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 10:05 am 

I am happy with just doing clear if i can figure out how to do it!
Every one i too it too yesterday wouldn't touch it. Appropriately carbon fiber is scary and mystical.

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 2:45 pm 

sand is smooth, lay on some clear. Don't worry about bubbles or dirt or bugs. Lay on some more clear

Wet sand and buff, it will look like a million bucks

You should always put clear on top of epoxy for UV protection

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 5:14 pm 

I have never sprayed clear. Is it difficult? Any brands or suggestions?

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 6:01 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Not sure if this is 'zackly a "wonderful quote" or not, but I kinda like this one:
Attachment:
Notice to Critics.jpg

This is the exact one I was looking for. Something very similar will be displayed on my build, or on a small card that I can politely hand out to the critics.

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 6:23 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
I have never sprayed clear. Is it difficult? Any brands or suggestions?

Very pleased with the SprayMax 2K clear coat. Just make sure you have all of your jobs lined up and ready to go. After you "mix" the can you have a usable pot life of a couple days. You can extend that time if you clear/clean the nozzle and then place the spray can in the fridge, just make sure you warm it back up before you use it again.

I've had good success with sanding the cured laminate with 320 grit then solvent clean witingh IPA or acetone. Ensure you allow enough time (>30min) for the solvents to flash off before you spray so you don't trap them under the clear coat...........solvent popping looks similar to pin holes. First coats go on light then make sure you apply a nice even wet coat. Follow the manufactures flash off time between coats. Allow to cure then wet sand with 2500grit. Inspect, respray if you are not happy........if you are, buff smooth with polishing compound.

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 9:14 pm 

Yeah I have a can of the 2k to try again. I had a lot of issues the last time I used it. I started to sand the nose cone down and I saw that the fish eyes were caused by tiny pin holes. The spray max hates pin holes. Not quite sure how to handle those

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 9:43 pm 
We are Slotus!

jaf wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
Not sure if this is 'zackly a "wonderful quote" or not, but I kinda like this one

This is the exact one I was looking for. Something very similar will be displayed on my build, or on a small card that I can politely hand out to the critics.
Ha! Glad you liked it. Please feel free to change the names to protect the innocent ( :?: ) and use it for your own! I have it printed out at 8.5 X 11 and on a clipboard I lay on the fuel cell cover when I park the car in the paddock. :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD "Everybody's a Critic" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom