LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kurtis body
PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 7:29 am 

Still plugging away at my Kurtis project. The headrest was a LOT of work. Had to both look right and fit. Like most things, the last 10% of the job is 90% of the work

Im going to wheel it outside soon to mark the final position of tail lights and head rest. Things look different from 20-30 feet away than they do in the shop

Also had wheel widened by WeldCraft wheels in Michigan. Went from 18x6 to 18x9. Rear tires are 265/60-18. They are 9" wide x 31" tall, which is 1-1/2 higher than the body. Wheels / tires are too heavy but give the look i want...compromises....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 9:21 am 

Amazing work, Sean!! Can't wait to see it when it's all done. :thmbsup:

PostPosted: May 15, 2019, 7:01 am 
We are Slotus!

That's not bodywork, or metalwork... That's ART! Well done, Sir!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 16, 2019, 7:00 am 

Thanks for the compliments! Also made a Halibrand style gas cap. I bought a 3-1/2" one from Crafty-B (cool stuff) but it wasn't quite big enough, so i made a 6" one. Made a water tank for the supercharger coolant using the smaller cap. Not sure if ill use it. Wanted to practice making a tank with rounded corners.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 2, 2020, 6:17 pm 

So - worked on the kurtis this past week. Almost done with gas tank - need to weld top on.
Bought holley fuel pump module 19-360. Self regulating at 60psi, 340 LPH. The ecotec runs a non-return fuel system which this is designed for. It seems very well made
Bought a "Reed" style fuel gauge sender. I got the marine version, all stainless steel. Was only a few bucks more. It has a float that goes up and down on a rod rather than the swinging type
Cut hole in rear body and flanged it using modified vise grips. Came out good.

WAAAY off topic,but.....7 months ago i started a business with a long time friend making mountain bike hand guards (i think i mentioned it before - http://www.geohandguards.com )
Anyways it really cut into car time. Getting back to it now.
Planning to sell on Amazon Prime - i have been watching youtube about Amazon FBA (Fullfillment by Amazon) and PPC advertising (Pay per click) Now i get why amazon is dominating the
retail world. Lots of 20-somethings making $$$$$$ from home. They process (store, package, ship, etc) for 15-30%of the sale price.
Small expensive things (like a watch) are more profitable. Anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who is looking to make some extra money, should check it out

PostPosted: January 3, 2020, 12:53 am 
Toyotaphobe

I don't get or understand Amazon at all. But I do shop there regularly.

I've often wondered who was doing the manufacturing/selling and how Amazon got those goods, especially those you can get the next day. There's simply no time for Amazon to get them unless they stock them.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 4, 2020, 1:18 pm 

Nice work on the fuel tank. But what happens to the earlier fotos?

PostPosted: January 5, 2020, 4:48 pm 

here are some replacement pics

Rear body - getting ready to weld head rest in - that was a LOT of work!
Inspiration photo of the 1953 indy 500 winner
chassis in 2017 - starting body wireform
recent rear body pic
rear body during panel shaping
On the next car, im going to build bulkheads and attach to chassis before i start the panels

PostPosted: March 2, 2020, 9:11 pm 

More pics
Tail is welded together. gas tank is done. Decided to get some work done on the nose. For the nose/grill opening i made an oak hammerform which i attached to the chassis exactly where i want it. I can hammer on it to get the grill opening shaped properly and in the right location (both good things) Never did a larger hammerform before. Made from scrap oak from a pallet with lots of screws and glue. Ill fill in the defects with 2 part epoxy and see what happens.....
It is hard to appreciate the scale, but this thing is BIG. The rear tires are 31" tall and the fronts are 29"

PostPosted: March 5, 2020, 10:27 pm 

Thanks for the fotos. I'm eager to see that nose and radiator opening.

PostPosted: March 6, 2020, 7:47 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I don't get or understand Amazon at all. But I do shop there regularly.

I've often wondered who was doing the manufacturing/selling and how Amazon got those goods, especially those you can get the next day. There's simply no time for Amazon to get them unless they stock them.

That is how Amazon is able to deliver. Many companies use Amazon's warehouses for their stocking. But this is not a new idea. Fed Ex used this model first. Amazon simply took it tp a much higher level. My Daughter runs a small ceramic business in California. To sell on Amazon and not stock with them she has to promise to ship in a specific time. And she has to agree on a pre arranged price for Amazon customers.

Amazon has quite a market.
Thom

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 8:09 am 

Working on the Kurtis nose. Spent all morning saturday working on right side of the nose. Cut the suspension opening out and welded a 3" flange in. It really stiffened it up and will also help with mounting....but....i made the opening parallel to the top of the panel rather than horizontal to the ground. Looked really really really bad. So sunday AM, i cut it out, added more material to bring it to horizontal, made a new flange and welded it all together. There is a 5/8" radius in the corner (i have to grind the welds still) The original car had a a filler panel in there which was mounted to the chassis. Ill do the same, and run the brake hose through it. The shape is very similar to a 7

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 12:39 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Looks great and a lot of work to get where you are.
Did you ever check the runout on the rims after the modification? The steel racing wheels I buy sometimes have terrible runout. I think they were Barts, not Bassetts.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 6:16 pm 

Thanks MV

I didnt check runout. It looked like they did a really nice job. I use Aero Racing wheels (steel) on my Legends car - they have a lot of runout too.

PostPosted: March 18, 2020, 1:05 am 

Let me put in a plug for you to use the finished body as a plug to pull molds!

Would love to have one like it with Jag six power.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next