LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently June 14, 2024, 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 1:02 am 

If you're looking at this for a crash impact structure, I have to say I'd be pretty leery of the effectiveness of beer cans without some good testing to back it up. I don't know how well they would or wouldn't work in a locost per say, but here is a good read on a few various options (including beer cans) as they pertain to the small area crash structure on FSAE cars:
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1256 ... 167411/p/1

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 7:18 am 

Driven5 wrote:
here is a good read on a few various options (including beer cans) as they pertain to the small area crash structure on FSAE cars:
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1256 ... 167411/p/1

Excellent link! Great data.
Well, it seems beverage cans buckle at low pressure and don't give any resistance after the walls give in until they are completely flat. You might improve that by bonding adjacent cans together and using tomato cans instead of beer cans, but it would not be very elegant. Nor would it be lightweight.
JackMcCornack wrote:
Mind if I use it (and the pic) in my MEN blog?

I would be honoured. Given the discussion above, however, it remains to be seen whether it's useful at all.

Bas Doeksen.

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 4:08 pm 

basfromasd wrote:
JackMcCornack wrote:
Mind if I use it (and the pic) in my MEN blog?

I would be honoured. Given the discussion above, however, it remains to be seen whether it's useful at all.
Well, just because it doesn't work doesn't make it a bad idea. That's what testing is for...not to mention what surfing the net is for...not to mention what having one's friends surf the net for you and report back is for. Great link, Driven, and thanks.

I can see I have lots of work to do on side impact protection, it's not going to be an easy one.

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 5:11 pm 

I wonder what the effect would be if instead of surrounding the cans with foam, they were filled with foam? This whole thing is kind of an odd idea. I can imagine skinning them with clear Lexan and removing all doubt of the sanity of the builder. ;-)

John

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 8:15 pm 

I wish I could say I spent all day looking for that, but it's actually something I've had mentally bookmarked for quite some time now. Glad I could help though.

JackMcCornack wrote:
Well, just because it doesn't work doesn't make it a bad idea. That's what testing is for.

Absolutely. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison since these guys have a much smaller surface area to deal with, which could make a big difference in total energy absorbtion abilities.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 11:44 pm 

Just thought I'd let you know I'm back on the bodywork project. Since I don't have a lot of time to put in it right now, I'm working on mounting/trimming what I've built already. The cardboard is a place holder, I'm planning to replace it with sheetmetal.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 4:00 pm 

Jack, that one pic is nothing more than a gratuitous tease... just like the pic of Deanna in your other thread :lol:

We need more. I'm especially interested to see a front view with the nose in place and the control arms out in the breeze between there and the front fenders.

Mikey Bynum

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 12:55 am 

:-) One difference is, Deanna photographs well from any angle, and another difference is, Deanna doesn't need any improvement.

I haven't built the nose yet, Mikey, that's why you can't see a front view. When this car is finished, it (one iteration, at least) will look pretty much like the car in my avatar. The control arms will only be partially visible from the top and not at all visible from the front or rear, not particulalry "out in the breeze" though I do plan to duct cooling air past them.

PostPosted: July 3, 2009, 9:03 pm 

I would seriously consider buying of the these body's. A Morgan looks and works so much better then a 7. What about real honeycomb in the sides? I'm not sure how much it costs but can't be that ridiculous.

PostPosted: July 3, 2009, 9:32 pm 

SR7 Hopeful wrote:
I would seriously consider buying of the these body's.
:-) Well cool, because I would seriously consider selling them! It's going to be down the roads some, though.
SR7 Hopeful wrote:
What about real honeycomb in the sides? I'm not sure how much it costs but can't be that ridiculous.
The prototype is getting a "softened" steel tube structure (I'll put up photos when I get a chance) to crush before the cockpit does...at least that's what I keep telling myself.

PostPosted: July 3, 2009, 9:35 pm 

How about Foam inserts? Like what they use in the sides of Nascars?

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 10:08 am 

Hmmm ... with foam in the side pods, one could cut and line a vertical hole on each side ... and have insulated cup holders! :D

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 3:37 pm 

My thoughts exactly :lol:

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 8:12 pm 

Oh Jack,

Month and a half since the last picture. Come out, come out, where ever you are :-)

Any progress to see?

Mikey Bynum

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 5:30 am 

Ironically, perhaps intentionally, your initial streamlining shape takes in some elements from several of my favorite cars, such as the Ferrari Testa Rossa. In looking at your drawings, I think it might do to remind you that the lower area between the inner front fenders and the hood 'hump' will probably need to be altered to accommodate the wheel/tire movement in turning. I was thinking of a shape vaguely similar to a C-type Jaguar at the front, with more pronounced valleys between fenders & hood, headlamps & grill. And I had thought of using a grill from an S-type Jaguar (1999-2008) or something similar to give a rounded opening to the radiator, along with S-type Jaguar or Mercedes E-class (2000-2006) headlamps in the front fenders. The headlamps wouldn't be cheap, but they would be a compromise between modern aerodynamic and classic without requiring the covers of the Testa Rossa, the C-type or the early E-type Jaguar. Just some thoughts from a fellow whose first car was a 1956 MGA that also shares some nice lines with your model. My grill idea would look nothing like a Super 7, but the headlamps would give better streamlining.

Back around 1979 or 1980, I bought a new B2000 series (if I remember right - the small one) 4wd Kubota tractor. The thing was bulletproof, economical (and I sold it for more than I paid for it when I moved back to town, the only new vehicle I can ever remember selling at a profit). So I like your engine choice (I've been working on a Samurai with a VW diesel for several years as a hunting, fishing, retiring to the mountains burro).

Robert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next