LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 8:52 am 

Wondering if anyones glued a window in like a regular automobile would with glue in a frame.

My question is, Did you paint the edge of the glass black or anything to hide the glue?

On a typical car windsheild theres that black edging so when glass is set you dont see the frame or messy adhesive underneath. But i tried picking at that black in my car on way to work this morning and its very tough, I dont know what type of paint i should use that wont jeopardize the adhesives effectiveness.

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 10:48 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Auto glass shops have that paint - I don't know what it is but it really sticks.

[Edit] Reread your question. Typically (older) cars has some sort of piece that keeps the glass from popping out, but with the paint in question adhering so strongly, I don't think it'll be a problem. If you apply the paint yourself, who knows...

Last edited by KB58 on January 3, 2018, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 4:25 pm 

I always thought that it was a decal of some kind - many cars have a kind of "dot matrix" pattern as the black part, and I thought that would be difficult to paint...silkscreen, maybe?

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 5:23 pm 

I read in the past that the oem black edges are a ceramic that is baked into the glass to cover the glue line and aid in the bond of the adhesive. The dot pattern is to minimize stress due to the uneven heating and cooling of the glass during manufacture due to the black ceramic edge.

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 5:32 pm 

The black band actually has a name - "frit"
https://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of-the-frit-black-band-and-spots-on-windshield/

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 6:34 pm 

How about that? Every day, it seems, I learn something new. My grandfather always used to say "It's a wasted day when you don't learn anything".

I can now amaze (confound?) my friends with my new word "frit". Very cool!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 8:07 pm 

Thanks. So I wonder if using glass primer and sicaflex will result in my window just blowing off at 140

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 8:39 am 
We are Slotus!

terryjr wrote:
Thanks. So I wonder if using glass primer and sicaflex will result in my window just blowing off at 140
Attachment:
Bad Idea but Good Time.jpg
You could become legendary! Especially to the driver right behind you on the track...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 11:08 am 

I'd use 3M windoweld and a rubber/metal trim piece to cover the glue edge.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 4:38 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
I can now amaze (confound?) my friends with my new word "frit". Very cool!

It was new to me too!

I knew the word, but not in that application. There are a bunch of NACA papers on frit (ceramic) insulating coatings on jet engine blades.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 1:49 pm 

I had mine glued in by a windshield place. Unfortunately not Fritted? all the way to the edge of the glass. Mine is inset to the frame with the steel edge protruding 1/4 inch from the base where the glass gets glued to. I am going to use black silicone to fill the small gap so its completely flush to the edge of the frame.
The frame is bigger and heavier but I wanted some "bambi deflection" its also angled at about twice the usual rake.

Dale

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 12:44 pm 

dale wrote:
I had mine glued in by a windshield place. Unfortunately not Fritted? all the way to the edge of the glass. Mine is inset to the frame with the steel edge protruding 1/4 inch from the base where the glass gets glued to. I am going to use black silicone to fill the small gap so its completely flush to the edge of the frame.
The frame is bigger and heavier but I wanted some "bambi deflection" its also angled at about twice the usual rake.

Dale

I'll be doing something similar. I still need to add a frame around the inside of the tube to set the glass on. Thinking 1/8" x 1 1/2" flatbar. I'll need to spend some time on this to make sure its a nice flat surface. I was quoted $160 by the glass place on the corner to cut me the 54" x 31" trapazoid shaped peice of 1/4" thick laminated safety glass.