LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30, 2007, 10:07 am 

Another quick thought...

Maybe put some louvres on the back side of the front fenders to bleed air pressure out of the wheel opening. Kinda like a prototype racer but use a louvre shape or profile such that it looks period or vintage.

The caveat to this is that runnig in the rain may make a mess on the backside of the fenders as dirty water is thrown up and out of the louvres. Would look pretty cool running at speed in the rain though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31, 2007, 12:29 pm 

If I go with flowing fenders I would probably make an inner fender to keep the air, water inside the actual wheel well as well as protecting the glass on the outside of the fender. Louvers on the backside of the fender would lead to a way of getting air through the intercooler though.
I was thinking that the muffler could be mounted farther forward inside the fender behind the right side wheel which would lead to a much less expensive exhaust as well as only the tips would have to be pretty as that is all that would show.

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1, 2007, 10:09 pm 

Mocked up morgan style fronts, needs radiusing and a curved front. Fender should go all the way to the chassis untill it hits the top rail and I will try and change the slope on the inside from there to just cover the suspension with a notch out for the headlights. May have to narrow the running board by a few inches and give it the hourglass figure I like so much.
Dale

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2, 2007, 10:46 am 

Very cool!

I'd be a little concerned with the front of the front fender impacting speed bumps, road debris, etc. It is pretty low as you have it shown here. Dunno if tweaks are to follow. Definitely do the hourglass!

Might look neat if you flared upward and outward from the inside of the fender: raise the inboard start point to around 3.5"-4.5" above ground and flare to ~6.5" at the outboard, maybe a touch higher even. Would need to see it mocked up to get a feel for how it would work.

Just my gut response... ignore if it doesn't follow your vision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2, 2007, 11:12 am 

One thought I had but its rather vain or gimmicy. Was to put a pivot at the back of the running board and attaching the front of the fender to the suspension. This would add to unsprung weight ( which being a cruiser I am not terribly concerned with) even though in glass they wont weigh much. This would allow me very tight clearance at the front wheel but would lead to issues with running the exhast in the running board and making it flow into the shape of the side as well.
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2, 2007, 9:53 pm 

I am at a loss for the moment-in trying to get the front visualized. I tried sloping it down but i could not get anything like I envisioned. I have it drawn in 2d but am failing at getting it mocked up. More tries later I guess. I did find out that I will need to ad at least one inch to the diameter of the inner fender.
Dale

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3, 2007, 8:54 am 
have a cookie

hey looking real good. how much weight would a body this size add to the car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3, 2007, 9:13 am 

Being that half of it will be original steel I would guess that everything will add 200 lbs tops. It could be much less. The glass fenders should not weigh in at much at all. Mine is not going to really be a track car so I can just compensate with hp.
Dale
Dale

PostPosted: February 1, 2012, 10:50 am 

Hey Dale do you have an update for us?

PostPosted: February 1, 2012, 11:53 am 

mlacasse wrote:
Hey Dale do you have an update for us?

His last update that I'm aware of can be found here...
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12722

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie