LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 2:27 pm 

My line of work enables me to come across various parts from the automotive sector. This piece showed up at my office this morning. Yes, it is real carbon fiber. It is off the 580hp 2012 Camaro ZL1 that is scheduled to be released spring 2012. More often than not the parts I have end up staying with me :) . I am hoping I get to keep this part because I think I can incorporate it into the hood of my locost. Do you guys think it would look good or would it be too over the top?
How it appears on the Camaro...
Attachment:
camaro1.jpg

Attachment:
camaro2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by tman21 on February 7, 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 2:51 pm 

Obligatory: "It would look terrible! You should send it to me so that I can properly dispose of it for you."

Seriously, that's a neat piece that you should definitely try to incorporate if you indeed get to keep it! :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 3:11 pm 
The voice of reason

Justin might put that on a Fiero. Since it doesn't even have an engine in front, the poor car would just be confused. If you send the part to me, I will make a model of it in SketchUp! :rofl:

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 3:32 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Justin might put that on a Fiero. Since it doesn't even have an engine in front, the poor car would just be confused. If you send the part to me, I will make a model of it in SketchUp! :rofl:
:boxing: Hey, I call dibs and no backsies!...So :P

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 3:48 pm 
The voice of reason

OK, having made it this far any Fiero should have a sense of humor. To the new cars, it can be all like "yeah baby, back in my day we had to make our own carbon from trees".
:)

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 4:34 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My first thought was that you could cut it down the middle and we could both make a hood and then you showed me the picture and I realized it wasn't a whole hood, just and insert.

Insert size is probably just about right. Now where am I going to get one?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 8:28 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
OK, having made it this far any Fiero should have a sense of humor. To the new cars, it can be all like "yeah baby, back in my day we had to make our own carbon from trees".
:)
LOL...Although I don't think the GT40 or Elise/Exige have much of a sense of humor to go with their vented hoods. :wink:

And maybe I'll actually get around to updating my avatar one of these days to reflect my Fieroless status and give people (myself included) one less reason to make fun of Fieros. I mean, haven't they suffered enough already?...However an avatar of my current project would just be the slowly shrinking massive pile of boxes filling the garage of our new house. :oops:

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 8:53 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I still have mine:

http://myfiero.oceanmoon.com/upgrades/fiero-43l-v6

Not my site. I'm not sure what happened to my old site.

I think it would be tough to fit a similar design hood to a locost due to tight engine to hood to upper radiator hose clearance.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 4, 2012, 3:51 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
And maybe I'll actually get around to updating my avatar one of these days to reflect my Fieroless status and give people (myself included) one less reason to make fun of Fieros. I mean, haven't they suffered enough already?

Actually don't have anything against them, it was more a joke about my age. I'd rather be the same age I was when they were common, it just doesn't seem to work that way though. So I'm working on my sense of humor instead. It's a work in progress though.

I don't equate the hood vents on a GT40 with the ones on a Camaro. Ones for show and the other is for go. On the one hand you have a big hole and on the other you have a Carbon fiber thing on something that's just a decoration.

Quote:
shrinking massive pile of boxes filling the garage of our new house.

You know it's 13 some years now and two children and best I can tell some things have just never been unboxed. Not useless things either - my life is in those boxes - oh wait that was my old glamorous life that required log books and a library and drafting tools and if i get my FF uncovered again this spring my kids are big enough to sit in it. Come to think of it I have an acre in my back yard and maybe I can teach them to drive in it in first gear. Now that would be cool. Have to wait until my wife goes out for some errands... Hmmm. How much trouble can one man get in...

PostPosted: February 4, 2012, 10:56 am 
Toyotaphobe

horizenjob wrote:
if i get my FF uncovered again this spring my kids are big enough to sit in it. Come to think of it I have an acre in my back yard and maybe I can teach them to drive in it in first gear. Now that would be cool. Have to wait until my wife goes out for some errands... Hmmm. How much trouble can one man get in...

Well let me tell you. The wife went out for groceries and came back in the door just as a huge wall of bricks that used to be our bar crashed to the ground.

Talk about poor timing!

But weeks later she'd forgiven me as I turned that area into a great little mini den area. It took the lumps much longer to go away.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 5, 2012, 1:54 am 

horizenjob wrote:
I don't equate the hood vents on a GT40 with the ones on a Camaro. Ones for show and the other is for go. On the one hand you have a big hole and on the other you have a Carbon fiber thing on something that's just a decoration.
They look plenty functional to me...Not to mention 580hp, 180+mph top speed, and a 7:41 Nurburgring time sounds like a pretty respectable amount of 'go' as well. :shock:

Quote:
Have to wait until my wife goes out for some errands... Hmmm. How much trouble can one man get in...
Famous last words. :mrgreen: