LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 17, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Or, would I be better off making the pieces in stainless and having them TIG'ed? I can work one up in mild steel and use it for a pattern. I'd prefer nickle plating, but, not having two nickels to rub together.......

PostPosted: July 17, 2018, 5:42 pm 

If you ain't got the nickels, then you ain't got the silver to buy the chrome :mrgreen: :roll:

Chrome is so expensive these days, due to environmental restrictions on the process, that stainless would be cheaper, if you can manage it. Or even polished aluminum, which can look as good as stainless or chrome.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 6:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
but, not having two nickels to rub together.......
Well then, consider "Plan K"...
Attachment:
Silver.JPG

:mrgreen: Just kiddin'... Sort of... It would be cheap... :mrgreen:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 8:17 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Paint is -always- an option! We have plenty of stainless here in the shop and at least two really good welders who can give it a shot! I'm afraid Patrick is going to take on a slight German accent.........

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 4:51 pm 

Mine is polished aluminum.
Attachment:
grill.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 6:14 pm 

Or you could go with a vinyl wrap. Lots of "metal" looking options available from chrome to titanium.

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/3m-wrap-vinyl/

Edit: Oops, you're talking about the grill insert not the nosecone/shell. My bad. So nevermind, an insert would be tough to wrap.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Last edited by seattletom on July 18, 2018, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 6:28 pm 

Depending on the look you have in mind, silver paint can look good IMO. Of course, I'm biased and your thoughts may differ. This is what can be done with a roll of brake tubing and paint.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 6:47 pm 

Stainless radiator guard from a damaged Peterbuilt topped with one of Botbasher's sevens.
Attachment:
IMG_0587.jpg

PostPosted: July 19, 2018, 9:57 am 

No, Tom, you were right the first time. I'm looking at a whole grille shell, not just the insert. And, passing by one of our new Volvo trucks yesterday, I saw the perfect filler material....