LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boot Top Alternatives
PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 4:15 pm 

I need to start thinking about what kind of boot top (aka trunk lid) to use. Seems many alternatives are available: tonneau covers, padded vinyl-covered panels, aluminum panels, etc. Mine will have to be easily openable to access the fuel filler cap, and if solid will need to be hinged crosswise (halfway front-to-back) to avoid roll hoop bracing. Any ideas, pictures, etc. you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 12:06 am 

Here's how I did mine out of aluminum.
Attachment:
IMG_20150425_144127.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20150425_200110.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20150425_200041.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20150627_113706.jpg

I built a box out of aluminum sheet for the trunk interior, and used a couple dzus fasteners for trunk latches.
Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 5:31 am 

I was given an extra Brunton Stalker FG lid that I realized need more modifications than I had skills. I opted for a scrap aluminum lid. I Still have not added a tray around the tank though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 10:01 am 

My trunk lid is 1/8" fiberglass. I've added reinforcement ribs on the under side, half sections of alloy tubes glassed to the bottom surface. The reinforced lid can actually support a lot of wt. I also put a lip around the edge to help seal the boot area. The top side is cover with vinyl, including the hinge which prevents rain passing thru the hinge area. I would suggest that if you are going to fill the gas tank from inside the boot, that you add a support rod to hold the lid open and a stand off to locate and hold the rod end. I used an old portable radio antenna for my support rod, with it's swivel base. Davew

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 2:56 pm 

mine just ali sheet covered in vinyl, with a hatch cut out and locked using a hardware store cupboard lock. the front is held by tabs that slide under the main sheet. Image

PostPosted: January 17, 2020, 2:58 am 

Thanks for all the input, guys. There's obviously more than one way to top a boot. I'll probably end up with a hybrid of "all of the above." No wonder none of the published books include this in the "how-to's."

The Suzuki head rests in Johnlee's build are pretty cool, too. Another item for the to-do list. :D

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 19, 2020, 9:01 pm 

I used an 1/8" carbon pre-fabbed panel from some random e-bay store, a piano hinge, and some mcmaster-carr latches that kick ass.

Latches, super happy with these, total nerd-out satisfying 'clicK' on closing.

https://www.mcmaster.com/2033N15

Alex