LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 18, 2023, 3:28 pm 

I'm planning another microcar build soon, and I'm thinking of windshield ideas...

I'm contemplating taking a Porsche Speedster curved windshield and cutting it vertically in half, then 'narrowing' it by about 4 to 6 inches (I'll cut the Porsche WS frame down by the same amount)..

The issue is how to handle the vertical seam in the center of the newly-narrowed windshield?.. I want the seam to be as subtle as possible, which means not using any trim at the center seam, but instead just butting the left and right sides together with some sort of transparent adhesive.. I've seen this done on street rods, but for the life of me, I can't find an online pic (the truck in the pick is just to show the idea of a split windshield)..

So, the question is this: What kind of clear adhesive to use, and has anyone here ever tried such a thing? I know what I'm asking is a very niche application, but this car is very, very small, and a cut-down Speedster WS would perfectly fit the character of the planned build, as opposed to using a stock WS or a Brooklands type instead... The build has not yet begun; I'm still in the exploratory 'what if' stage 8)

Thoughts?

Thanks-

ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: May 18, 2023, 10:03 pm 

Check out this site -- https://www.widemgb.com/

He cut down a windshield to fit his wide MGB. Check wrecking yards for the shape you want, try one of theirs to experiment and then do it for real. His website documents the complete conversion and is an excellent read. Someone else posted his website before.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: May 19, 2023, 5:58 am 

I know in aquarium applications they use silicone to "glue" the glass together. Might take some research to figure the best option for a car though.

PostPosted: May 19, 2023, 6:25 am 

I have talked to the owner of the local glass shop (Speedy Auto Glass) and he offered to build a windshield for my 53 Chevy truck (the same truck you have in your pic) where the two halves were glued together instead of the metal trim shown in your pic. He said he occasionally does these windshields for hot rods and custom cars. It did not sound like it would cost much. Might be better to check with your local glass shop and see what they can do.

I can also ask my local guy what adhesive he uses the next time I am in town.

PostPosted: May 19, 2023, 9:06 am 

I don't have recommendations. However, for the glue/epoxy/RTV etc. you should be searching for "optically clear" stuff. It does make a difference in looks.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 19, 2023, 9:12 am 

Aquarium/glass shower applications sounds like a place to start, but adding in the NVH of a moving vehicle may alter how those products perform.
Maybe a trial run with some thicker poly/lexan to see how it holds up, before cutting into a probably $$ Porsche glass?

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: May 19, 2023, 1:02 pm 

Thanks for your feedback guys.. When the time comes I'll visit a glass shop and learn what they're using for seams (the aquarium/ shower glass/ "optically clear" adhesive may be just what I'm after)...

Thanks Kartracer for the link on the wideMGB.. what an outstanding build!! For my planned build, the problem I think I'm going to have is I want a 'wraparound' type of windscreen with a standalone frame (convertible donor), and my needs for width are to end up at about 48/49" total.. I'm thinking a center seam might be the easy button to get to where I need to end up.. The Speedster design features a thin, delicate frame, with gentle arcs at every angle; no abrupt corners or edges..

I'm going to widen the next microcar by about 7", and even at that, I'm still looking to source/ create a freakishly small glass WS and frame..

*aside... the Porsche Speedster WS utilizes a small center mounted 'tension rod' to hold the WS frame together, so this center seam idea I'm envisioning shouldn't be very noticeable...

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com