LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 2:37 pm 

Not sure we're talking the same thing.

Diffuser = front of the wheels wing?

10 deg isn't going to happen, so its time to figure out a better fix.

I'll scan my existing sketches tonight to see if any of them offer insight or a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 2:50 pm 

keep your fenders the way they are, just add a little front balance near the assphalt in the front of the tire... make it in a mannor that it forces the air over the leading edge of your fender and your problems basically solved!

Education Is The Most Effective Form Of Rebellion

Is that what happens to us? A life of conflict with no time for friends… so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses.
For my own part, regret nothing. Have lived life, free from compromise ... and step into the shadow now without complaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 2:53 pm 

My appologies, I thought with that comment you wanted to know about flow separation on the trailing side...Off hand I can't think of any rules of thumb for frontal aerodynamics, other than make it pointy and wedge like.

You may also want to look for more aerodynamic/styling ideas in both iterations (open and closed wheel) of the Gillet Vertigo.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 4:42 pm 
Toyotaphobe

If you're going to keep the open wheel fenders then why bother with another body? Making it so that the fenders wouldn't be throwing water, sand, snow, whatever all over the place, not counting the aero effects would be the main reason I could see for a body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 5:01 pm 

Hmmm, we're not seeing eye to eye, but that's ok. It is hard to visualize.

I'm talking about adding body parts (light, strong fiberglass composites) that are there to aid in airflow and also look decent. The wheels would still be able to move about with MC fenders on them, but imagine that they were shrouded front and rear with leading and trailing aero parts that allowed air to smoothly flow over the whole thing.

Sorta like this, but more fluid and careful to direct air up and over

And at the back, behind the front wheels and their fenders, add some smoothing and perhaps some low pressure, high flow louvers to pull air through an IC.

Like this, but with more work on the upper portion...instead of being completely gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 5:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Yeah, I was thinking just removing a few panels and the fenders off the 7 and dropping a body right over the frame to cover everything up.

You're talking bolting on pieces to in front of or around existing pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 5:29 pm 

Exactly. My goal, if it is even feasible, is to leave the wheels open-yet-streamlined, like a hybrid between a full body in the front, and the traditional design. Perhaps it is just to have the amusement of watching the cycle fenders do their work, but it seems like a workable idea.

The rear of the car definitely could use some smoothing and blending.

As for bolting a body right on top...well my solution would be more like fitting body parts to the frame and creating a final product that looks like it belongs there.

If you want to bolt a body on, consider starting with something like a Daytona Coupe body and cut it to fit. I myself was originally going to go with a Coupe, but my design kept changing so many parts that eventually it seemed better to just build from scratch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 6:23 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Well, it just so happens I have most of the body to a 62 (?) Ferrari GTO. It is bigger than the 7 but it is nice looking. I hadn't thought of fitting it to the chassis but with some nips and tucks here and there it might could be cut down to fit. I could leave it a vert or use the Ferrari fastback look for the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 6:42 pm 

Using a GTO body as nothing more than a glorified paper weight??...Does not compute!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 10:05 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Well chopped and channeled who knows what we might end up with. It's a sexy body.

And just to be sure we're talking the same thing I'm talking the first GTO which was a Ferrari not the Pontiac wannabe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 12:43 am 

There is certainly no question over which GTO you speak of. While I would have to guess it's replica bodywork, one should never assume either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 6:38 pm 

Sketches done over time, just to get a feel for what I want out of this project.

I don't necessarily draw great, so please no ridiculing! They are just ideas that pop in my head, better or worse.

I wish I had the skills to create these types of things in a CAD program, or perhaps even Google Sketch...but I don't. I can do some pretty mean work with fiberglass though, so I'm not worried about actually making it vs. just seeing what I like and what fits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 6:46 pm 

Dude, you are pretty talented. I really like the one on the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 8:06 pm 

Any of those would make a mean looking 7. I'm kinda diggin' the last one. From an aerodynamic standpoint I think the tapering solid 'fairing' behind the wheel will be better than having a stylistic vent behind the wheel as the others look to have to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 8:46 pm 
Locostering Legend

If you are going to fair in the wheels, consider widening the cockpit to gain some elbow room. I.e., sit in front of the rear wheels.

Other option is to copy the Morgan Aero 8 and pretty-up the front end. Fix the cross-eyed headlights, Pug nose, and open mouth.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next