LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 24, 2014, 11:03 am 

I could use some help if you're good with photoshop/ altering pics...

My BEC project lives over in the non-traditional builds area, but I'm posting here as this is an exterior thing that maybe someone can help with..

I'm experiencing some serious project creep, which I'm cool with, but I want to make sure I like it before I do it.. I'm considering chopping the top on my microcar, but I'd like to do it in pics before the saw comes out- trouble is, I suck at photoshop (and most things computers :lol: )

In the pics below, I've marked off some measurements with the blue tape (don't know what I'm doing- I just figured they'd help with scale)... each solid line is one inch (the tape is 3" 'tall' total).

I wonder if someone here can post up a few different chopped versions for me? I'd love to see a chop at 1.5/ 2.0/ 2.5 inches... (maybe 3 for grins, but I think it would be too drastic.. Also, if you'd like more of a challenge, maybe chop it 2.5 front and 1.5 rear..

I'm aware of the challenges with the glass- certainly need to cut down the windshield, and totally replacing the side and rear tempered glass.. looking into Lexan AR (AR2 Makrolon)-- spendy, but might do the trick...

I know very little about what I'm asking of this photoshop job- maybe it's a 5 minute thing, or a several hours thing.. I don't want to big-deal it-- I'm just after a good idea of what I'm contemplating.. I've looked and looked- apparently I'm the first person in the universe to consider chopping an N600- pics of this mod just don't exist :( {{-Don't know how much it matters for a picture, but I plan to section the top and leave the front and rear glass at it's current rake/angle (I'm not going to 'lay the glass down' as many chop jobs do..).}}

Thanks for your help and feedback- I'm way past my comfort zone on this one, and I appreciate your thoughts..

-ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: October 24, 2014, 3:12 pm 

Turned out better than expected for 5 minutes in Paint ...

1.5-ish inch
Attachment:
chop driver side 1p5 inch.jpg

3-ish inch
Attachment:
chop driver side 3 inch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 25, 2014, 6:36 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

IMHO, you will regret it later. Plastic is a poor replacement for glass. A stone chip in the windscreen is no longer a simple replacement. Chopping makes the car look longer. If anything, I'd consider sectioning the car between the door jamb and the rear fender arch, leaving room for the flares. Then you are only dealing with flat glass rear quarters which can be cut from laminated windscreen glass (unless you can get someone to cut tempered glass for you). Nah, I'd leave it as-is.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 25, 2014, 9:12 am 

I think it looks pretty cool with 2-3 inches chopped, but man o man, what a butt load of work.

Think about trying to chop an egg and getting the lines to flow well and fit up. Then there's the plastic instead of glass for front and rear unless you feel like dropping a grand or more on custom glass.

Me, I'd open up the top an put on a California roof. :cheers:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 25, 2014, 11:20 am 
We are Slotus!

Welllll...... Iffen it wuz my* SpongeBob Squarecar, none of the "chops" look as good as the original. The 1.5" out of the roof ain't bad, but still not as "balanced" looking as the stock height. There's something about the "tall" kei car look that just looks right and proper.

*We both know it isn't mine, but you asked... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 26, 2014, 11:43 am 

More unsolicited advice/thoughts:

Do you have the room to take an inch or two out of the body? Chop and section the body as well as the top to maintain better proportionality. Do an inch out of the body and an inch out of the top, then section the car to shorten it 2-3 inches.

EDIT: How's that for scope creep? You started wanting to do a somewhat involved chop job and it has turned into massive chop, channeling, and sectioning of the car that takes an immense amount of time, patience, and skill.

PostPosted: October 26, 2014, 4:38 pm 

Ooh, it's one thing to channel a body on frame car, but to chop AND section a uni-body structure ... could get exciting. For chop alone, I favour the 1.5 inch, but is it worth the effort?

PostPosted: October 28, 2014, 6:08 pm 

First off- thanks Toy for the virtual chop.. really helps to see it that way..

After mulling it over, I'm with the majority here- I've decided to leave it as Honda stamped it out.. I'm not only worried about changing the character of the car, but admittedly I just don't think the payoff warrants the amount of time and energy required to get there..

One day I'll chop the top on something, I just don't thing this is that project..

Thanks for you input guys- :cheers:

-ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com