LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 6, 2009, 12:38 pm 

So I've been pondering how to rivet the side panels and the floor onto the lower tubes at the same time. I know it's vanity and won't be as strong but I don't want rivets showing through on the outside of the side panels. I'm going with aluminum on the floor as well so both panels will need to be riveted to the bottom of the lower tubes. - How I do???
I don't want to rivet one on, then have to rivet the second one on top because the rivet heads would create gaps. (drawing 1)

wrapping the sides panels all the way around to rivet on the inside of the chassis seems like a pain. (drawing 2)

Doing both at the same time seems also like kind of a pain and if I honk up the side panels trying to form it over the tops I'd have to pull off everything to swap out a fresh sheet. (drawing 3)

Am I constrained to having rivets show on the sides? (drawing 4)

Help.

(Airframefixer are you out there....)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: July 6, 2009, 12:46 pm 

I Sikaflexed the floor down first, but did not rivet the sides. The Sikaflex could hold me weight alone without rivets.

Then I wrapped the sides around and riveted both the sides and the floor together.

G

PostPosted: July 6, 2009, 12:55 pm 

Just thinking out-loud here. - Maybe a scalloped approach so the rivet heads alternate but the sheetmetal doesn't overlap?
I dunno. I'm struggling here.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: July 6, 2009, 1:20 pm 

I'd do the floor first and then the side panels. I would imagine you are more likely to pull a side panel off than the floor. Having to remove the floor first to get a side off seems like a real pain.

I'd vote for something like your first picture. Only the floor next to the lower tube and riveted every other hole. The side panels probably do not need as many rivets per unit length as the floor would. You can drill a large hole in the side panel where you already have a floor rivet. Then rivet the floor and side panel to the tube in the remaining places. This will get you your no rivets showing (all on the bottom) and you'll have a smooth bottom to your side panel without using flush rivets for the floor.

PostPosted: July 6, 2009, 1:38 pm 

I would just run the rivets along the outside (but what do I know I think they look cool)

PostPosted: July 6, 2009, 3:10 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Lay the side panel over the floor panel. Clamp and drill the corners and then midway between, using clecos as you go. Remove the clecos and deburr, cleaning out all the chips that will prevent the panels from laying flat for riveting. The chassis should already be painted in this area. Silicone generously between layers, rivet, and wipe away the excess.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 7, 2009, 8:12 pm 

OK, that's 3 votes for putting the floor on and then the side panel wrapped under the floor with the rivets going through both the side and floor panel. As Greg says the adhesive alone would hold the weight and with the side panel folded under there is added mechanical strength also. Along the other edges of the floor I turned it up 90* and put in the rivets from the side.

Ron

PostPosted: July 7, 2009, 8:45 pm 

Skinny's Rivet Tip #437: Rivet the tranny tunnel sides first - before the floor goes on. It would have been much easier that way.

G

PostPosted: July 8, 2009, 4:09 pm 

Use countersunk rivets for the floor, lol. I uses a longer rivet on my car to attached the side panels and the floor to the chassis at the same time. Same idea as Greg mentioned, but i didnt use and Sikaflex. As i recall, Lotus rivetted the sides and floor with the same rivets.

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 6:11 pm 

How about only lapping each of the sheets half way accross the bottom face of the tube? The holes are getting close to the edge of the sheet, which isn't good for tear-out strength, but they shouldn't be loaded very heavily anyway. Keep in mind I've never done this and don't know exactly whet rivets you are using, but it looks like there would be enough room to do it this way.

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 11:06 am 

Thanks for all the feedback gents. I ended up going the floor-first with sides wrapping over top and secured with rivets through both.

- I'll post some pics when I have a chance.

PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 10:28 am 

SkinnyG wrote:
I Sikaflexed the floor down first, but did not rivet the sides. The Sikaflex could hold me weight alone without rivets.

Then I wrapped the sides around and riveted both the sides and the floor together.
G

Just a question regarding this procedure. Should the mating faces of the chassis tubing and the (alum) floor be bare metal for the Sikaflex to bond? No paint?

PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 11:10 am 

(BUMP)

PostPosted: May 26, 2018, 11:18 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
SkinnyG wrote:

G

Just a question regarding this procedure. Should the mating faces of the chassis tubing and the (alum) floor be bare metal for the Sikaflex to bond? No paint?

Adhesion is as good as the weakest bond.
If you did as you say, sikaflex is overkkill and would serve as sealant as most of the load would be taken by the rivets.

ETA.
For what it´s worth, I installed my panels as in the last drawing.