LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 7, 2010, 3:17 am 
Weight watcher

Keith, isn't the rule of thumb something along the lines of "...as long as you have a proper floor jack that's low enough to go underneath the car..."?
:wink:

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: February 15, 2010, 12:34 am 

This is how you wreck your sump. This is not a Locost but a Series 2 Seven. http://permeldgaard.com/lotus/2007/09/pictures-from-hill-climb-in-gjern.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 15, 2010, 7:47 am 
We are Slotus!

Yep, but what a GLORIOUS end it would have!!!!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 15, 2010, 9:17 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Looks like he's not the first one to throw sparks on that road.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: February 18, 2010, 8:45 am 
We are Slotus!

dhempy wrote:
Looks like he's not the first one to throw sparks on that road.

I wonder if the drivers all go back to that spot and look at them. I can just imagine one of them (a Corvette driver, probably) pointing at the marks that are the furthest down the hill and bragging, "Look! Those are MINE!" *Chest pounding and grunting ensues*

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 22, 2014, 11:44 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Devil's advocate here...

The things the other folks said about CG and skid plates are absolutely right.
But those ol' race cars sure look cool, don't they?

(BTW, most of 'em are dry sumped, too!)

What kind of sexiness is this and where can I get one?

PostPosted: March 24, 2014, 2:02 am 

Wow, nice old thread. I don't know about homebuilt race cars, but this picture is my idea of cool.

chetcpo wrote:
Attachment:
silkeborg_hillclimb_110-757308.jpg

I like to think this is how my car looked a couple of times this Saturday while trying to hang with the local hardcore Miata group through the Oakland/Berkeley hills. When your car is 25% unsprung weight, you catch a lot of air. Oil pan's okay, though, and a thorough chassis inspection this morning showed it's none the worse for wear.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 24, 2014, 10:20 pm 
We are Slotus!

cricket87 wrote:
What kind of sexiness is this and where can I get one?

Yo, Cricket-
That there is a Mallock, my boy, an honest-to-Sir Arthur real deal Mallock. The one behind it is as well, only with the "shark nose" on it. Mallocks come up for sale in this country every once in a blue moon, usually for something close to $30K, if most of it is there.

But, don't let that stop you... Iffen you can't afford one, just build one of your own! There's even some total nut-job in here that built one, sort of...

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: March 24, 2014, 11:47 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
What I've seen done on some race cars to limit movement or offload the mounts a bit is to put a radius rod ( tube with rod ends ) between the engine and the frame. In this case you would use a horizontal location so that the motor could vibrate up and down but not rotate. This also unloads the motor mounts from torque a bit.

This method was used on the 89-95 Taurus SHO's that had the Yamaha V-6 in them. There were two "Roll Dampeners" attaching the top part of the engine to a strut tower and the radiator core support. This was a sideways mounted engine (the way that Satan likes it), because the engine had a great torque band and you could get the car with a 5 speed no less, the rocking caused by trying to accelerate ( and decelerate) a heavy sedan really "exercised" the motor mounts. Their solution was to slow down the rotation counter movement with little tiny shock absorbers. The SHO was very hard on engine mounts, so much so that there is a backyard aftermarket for reinforced front motor mounts.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I