LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
PostPosted: October 25, 2018, 6:37 pm 

Was thinking of building up at least 1/2" of glass / mat in the area, and somewhere in there embedding a "as large as I can reasonably fit" bit of steel that in turns has 2 bolts welded to it (sticking out the bottom). I'd love to get away from having anything on top, ie, bolts with washers. At least I could put on a 16 ga (or so) metal plate on the top and created a composite sandwich?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 26, 2018, 9:48 am 

That'll work, Tim, if you have a half inch available under the hood there. Put big holes in the plate so the 'glass can attach through the plate and into the hood. Vaseline is good for protecting the threads (and paper is good for protecting the Vaseline, and duct tape over the paper) but don't overdo it; you don't want Vaseline squishing out the ends of the tape.

What I've done to weld threaded thingies (can't really call them "bolts") to plates is use what McMaster-Carr calls "flat head machine screws" at <https://www.mcmaster.com/countersunk-bolts>, and grind them so instead of the heads looking like this*...

\ /

...they look like this:

< >

It leaves a nice gap between it and the (countersunk) hole in the plate where you weld them together, then grind the weld flat, then with body putty and paint, they look as pretty as if they'd come out of the factory.

* This is a side view, and note the taper on a flat head screw/bolt is quite different from the angle of a "\" but my Mac doesn't have an 82 degree slash key.

PostPosted: October 27, 2018, 5:21 pm 

(taking serious notes and will start grinding bolt heads as soon as I get the honey-do list under control)

Do you mean oval-head screws (bolts)?

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: October 27, 2018, 6:26 pm 

No, I mean flat head bolts, like this pic (I hope this works):

https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvA/conten ... 1494576568

If you countersink the hole in the plate to fit the head of the bolt, and then grind away the outer edge of the top of the bolt, you get a gap between the plate and the bolt head that you can fill with weld. I'm sorry my explanation is so crappy, I'll try drawing it when I get back to the shop.

PostPosted: October 27, 2018, 6:36 pm 

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

AS you can see. McMaster sells 'em both ways.... I can grind off the edges of the flat screws to create that gap, but your description made me wonder about the other type.

Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Louisville, KY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37