LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 12:48 pm 

After waiting for nearly a year to install the Webber DCOE carburetor I purchased during the initial investments on my project, I was very excited to bolt on my intake manifold and mount the lungs for my rotary engine. Surprise! Although the manifold fit the 12a engine, when I tried to place the DCOE carburetor, (without the soft mounts) I noticed that the (choke?) was striking the intake manifold. EE Gads! However before I get into anything stupid, I am thinking that the “soft mounts” may in-fact, be thick enough to bring the carburetor back enough to eliminate this pesky (choke?) interference issue… so please speak-up of you have any insight on this issue! Man, if it is not one thing it is another.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!'"

~Bill McKenna

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 1:04 pm 

It looks like you might have enough meat on the manifold to carve out some clearance.

Alternatively look for a 1/2" thick heat insulator made for the webber/dellorto. That should stand the body off far enough.

I came this close (insert a thumb and forefinger emoticon) to a dellorto/webber setup before decideing to test my learning capabilities with EFI. I envy you old-school guys. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 2:27 pm 

thanks i know efi well, so old school is a lot memory. i may start making a nafold adapter first before grinding

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!'"

~Bill McKenna

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 2:39 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I had much the same setup on my old Datsun, and yes, the rubber isolation blocks were plenty thick to solve your problem. Worse case, get someone to mill down the IM where needed.

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 7:48 pm 

I decided to make an intake manifold space to accommodate the protrusion from the choke striking the intake manifold. I seem to be getting better at making these precise fit holes and round angle brackets, since it went together the first try and fit perfectly.

I still need some sort of “soft mount” so I will find out about alternative to the quarter inch spacer I mage… but this allows me to secure the carburetor so I can start figuring out the linkage. I am hopeful that someone has already figured out linkage for 12a rotary Webber DCOE set-ups… hum any takers?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Bill McKenna

PostPosted: April 1, 2011, 10:38 am 

I am using a 48 IDA downdraft on my 12A. I understand it might be a good thing to put in non metallic spacers as a heat insulator. I am using something called phenolic spacers. I would imagine these are available for the DCOE also. According to the data they will also drop the torque curve a bit too.

See the link:
http://www.racingbeat.com/RX7-1975-1985/Weber-Intake/16621.html

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356