LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kawasaki jetski engine
PostPosted: May 26, 2011, 10:33 pm 

I was across from work today at the kawasaki shop and sitting there were a couple of jetskis,both 1500cc inline 4 cylinders,either n/a or supercharged,the n/a puts out around 180hp and the supercharged ones putting out 300 ,they are very small ,much like a bike engine in size,and have a small area that could be bolted a bellhousing to instead of the transfer case looking thing on the back,id guess its a reduction box.What a great little engine for a 7.

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 12:18 am 

I've always thought a 2 stroke boat motor would be sweet for a custom type car. (specifically the Mercruiser 250 hp v-6 one). The things that had me concerned that would need to be worked out is the fact that the boat motor usually runs more constant load so the ECU map may be bad for car use (easy to overcome) and the fact that the motor is designed to operate with a total loss cooling system which may not work so well when attached to a radiator. That said, anything is possible and if you can get a sweet 180hp motor for cheap go to it.

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 12:21 am 
The voice of reason

That's been one of my thoughts for a long time. I think it would go well with a transaxle from a Porsche or Subaru. It would fit better then a bike engine in the front, lots more room for intake and exhaust.

I suppose the rpms might be a little hard on a car transaxle though. Do these turn as high or are they a little more modest? I didn't know they went as big as 1500...

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 3:27 am 

The engines are 4 stroke inline 4 cylinder configuration that look just like a huyabusa engine or simular,they rev to around 9000 and sit vertically with normal looking car style engine mounts either side,horzonjob..yes a transaxle would be awsome,i was thinking of a rear mounted transmission in a 7 ,no bellhousing,so it would fit in the tunnel easily and running a coupler off the back of the motor to it,if you used a dirttrack tranny they have clutches inside the box so its an easy hookup,think along the lines of a new corvette setup.

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 10:24 am 
Toyotaphobe

[quote="wayne-o"if you used a dirttrack tranny they have clutches inside the box so its an easy hookup,think along the lines of a new corvette setup.[/quote]

I googled that and didn't find anything. Give me a name or something that would let me search for that tranny.

I had 2 jetskis with the 2 cycle engine and posted about using them 2-3 years ago and IIRC

1) we figured the 2 cycle wouldn't have the torque

2) we decided a rad system would work

3) the tranny adapter would be expensive

4) engine mapping would be wrong.

It was just a lark on my part since I had the jet skis and really was wondering whether to sell or mess around.

A 4 cycle engine that only needs a coupler instead of an adapter with a tranny with the clutches in it would change everything.
What displacement are the motors?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 10:36 am 
The voice of reason

I think the types of transaxle in Porsche, Audi, Subaru and VW make more sense. Then you get everything behind the driver and can narrow the tunnel a bit. Flywheel and clutch too, because the jetski won't have those.

I don't know about dirt rack transmissions with clutches inside them? Do you mean the 2 speed diffs? Curious here.

The problem for me with above is figuring out the flywheel clutch part, though I have seen this done on 2 seven/locost type cars. One from Westfield and another from a poster here...

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 10:55 am 

What about using a Harley trans? Self contained 4-5-6 speed options available with clutch. Just need to run a belt to it which would enable you to adjust the effective trans ratios farily easily. Small an lightweight. No reverse however.

PostPosted: May 27, 2011, 11:06 am 

Ok ...as I said the kawasaki engines are 1500cc,and are injected,as far as cooling goes you could easily lose the waterpump impellor and run an inline external pump and radiator,engine mapping? Its injected and desingned to run smoothly to 9 grand,what else do you want??? ...horizonjob look up either bert or falcon,those trannys are widely used.

PostPosted: June 28, 2011, 11:02 pm 

An Alfa transaxle might be worth a look too.
These are designed to be rear mounted with a front engine, and the transaxle already has a clutch, inboard brakes, and a front driveshaft input.
http://www.hiperformancestore.com/images/gtv6trans.gif

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 12:52 am 
The voice of reason

I've seen pictures of a locost with the Alfa unit and the problem is that the clutch and flywheel go next to the driver's hips and legs. The units from VW/Porsche/Audi have the transmission behing the diff so the flywheel and clutch go much further back.

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 1:40 am 

Fair comment Markus.

The front clutch/flyweel part of the Alfa transaxle looks (from the picture) as though it separates from the front bell housing.
Maybe that could be grafted onto a Porsche/Audi transaxle with an adapter plate ?
Don't know, never seen it done, but it might be a solution to the clutch problem if it is possible.

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 2:14 am 

Looking at the alfa transaxle it looks like a housing for the clutch could be fabd and bolted behind the jetski engine ,then a driveshaft running to a vw type gearbox,diff unit.If a motor could be had for fairly cheap then it would be a great combo.
Wayne-o...the kiwi...living in hell...i mean arizona.

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 12:31 pm 

We've talked about this before. The gearing is always the problem but it's not insurmountable. However by torque/hp/weight numbers the BRP Rotax Direct Injection motors are the lightest.

ROTAX SeaDoo Engine
Engine Type 1503 HO
4-stroke
3 cylinder
12 valves
188 kW / 255 HP
1493.8 ccm
External intercooler
2 water cooling circuits (one closed water cooling circuit)
Dry sump lubrication
2 oil pumps with replaceable paper oil filter
Mechanically driven supercharger

ROTAX SkiDoo Engine
Engine Type 797
2-stroke
2 cylinder
108 kW / 147 HP
799.5 ccm
Liquid cooled
Reed valve controlled

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 1:43 pm 

What's the torque curve look like? They are used to running revved and I would think that they develop their torque rather high up in the rpm range. Water pumps (basic part of a Jet Ski) need more torque the faster they run, little torque required at low speeds. Might not be very good at getting out of a parking spot...

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 2:32 pm 

1.5 liter 3 cylinder making 255 hp? Holy crap....