LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Muffler Mounts
PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 1:18 am 

nick47 wrote:
And . . . in the 72 hours since I last posted, the bobbin has broken again. Could have something to do with the engine starting to run on three cylinders over the weekend. Very shaky.

Those clamp hangers look like they'd work pretty well, but like a great many exhaust parts that are normally hidden under the car, not the most attractive.

I'm probably more concerned about aesthetics than I should be. However I agree with you. I think I'm going to try something similar to the idea I presented, but trying to eliminate the top portion of the brackeet, so it tightens with a single nut which is located below the exhaust out of site.

PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 1:36 am 

My first exhaust mounts failed too. My engine is solid mounted, so I did the same with the exhausts without any flex couplers either. I redid them last year with rubber hangers and kept it all tucked in and hidden as best I could. I don't really know if it will stand the test of time, but it can't be any worse than I originally had it.

My original solid mount had a piece of 1/2" tube welded end on to the exhaust pipe and it fatigued and broke outside of the weld, so this time I made sure to also have more area to weld on. Hopefully it lasts. Its tucked in and hidden enough that I had a hard time trying to take a picture of it.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 3:49 pm 

If the welds hold, and it looks like they will, that should last forever.

PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 3:57 pm 

davew wrote:
My first exhaust hanger, was also a bonded rubber mounting system. But I had the same breakage problem, because it is the only mount for the complete exhaust system. After breaking a couple rubber mounts, I changed the mounting system for the exhaust, to a small coil spring hanger. The under side of the aluminum bracket has a couple rubber washers and the top side is a coil spring with a thru bolt that attaches to a small rod end. There is also small rubber gommet in the center of the bracket so the thru bolt does not contact the aluminum bracket. This hanger allows you to adjust a little pre-load into the coil spring, and the rod end allows the whole exhaust system to twist when engine torque rolls the exhaust system. I do not think this attachment will break. Dave W

Brilliant :cheers:

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave