LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 31, 2016, 11:43 pm 

And, JD, didn't you have to put a mixed set of headers onto your engine to get the clearances that you needed? Are you still running the car that way? Looks like it probably made no difference to performance.

PostPosted: April 1, 2016, 9:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

BHRmotorsport wrote:
And, JD, didn't you have to put a mixed set of headers onto your engine to get the clearances that you needed? Are you still running the car that way? Looks like it probably made no difference to performance.
Yes, you're correct... James Earl and me went round and round about having "mismatched" headers on the L and R cylinder banks.

In this case, the passenger side was a "Shorty" header for a Mustang GT and the driver's side was a "block hugger" type from Speedway. It really concerned me that they weren't identical. I got over it, but... Well, now I guess I know it didn't matter...

Happy Ending!
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 2, 2016, 9:32 am 

So is this where I inquire about putting a turbo on one side of a V-something motor? I was concerned that it would be too constricted on one side, or unbalanced, or something... but I guess it wouldn't really matter?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: April 2, 2016, 10:29 am 
We are Slotus!

geek49203 wrote:
So is this where I inquire about putting a turbo on one side of a V-something motor? I was concerned that it would be too constricted on one side, or unbalanced, or something... but I guess it wouldn't really matter?
Saab already been there, done that... They had a V6 with the turbo plumbed into one side (front, I think) of the V. IIRC, it was a "light pressure" turbo which ran at a low boost, in theory needing less effort to turn the turbo, so less "imbalance" in the exhaust... Maybe? I've slept since then, and might have the details confusified...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 2, 2016, 9:56 pm 

When i was at the NASCAR Tech in NC, one of the labs was to assemble a well used NASCAR Chevy 357 with various configurations of cams, intakes exhausts and restriction plates est and run it on the engine dyno.

One of the things that stuck to my brains is that a super free flowing exhaust can be detrimental to performance in the form of having far to much scavenging effect. Some cam profiles actually seem to prefer a slightly restrictive exhaust system, ones with to much valve overlap. This prevents the exhaust stream from sucking the new fuel/ air charge straight through the head and getting wasted. This has much bigger effect on fuel injection as the injector is timed with the valve opening to dump the fuel into the cylinder.

The reduced scavenging may account for the gains at the beginning but i'm sure it more that the engine was just warmed up.

Considering some of the crazy bends the high efficiency Eco cars have in their mass produced manifolds i'm not surprised a little hammer tweaking of a set of hooker headers will have no effect.

My supercharged legacy, inspired by a forum 1055 and I have been members of actually, ran better with the stock manifolds and 2” cat back exhaust. I reasoned that the stock cams overlap was longer than the super wanted and it would push the fuel right out.

My old 89 Mustang had BBK shorty equal length headers and i had to "persuade" to of the tube to clear the steering shaft even after new motor mounts and 1/4" shims. I loved that exhaust Great sound and big improvement in 3rd and 4th gear on the highway.

OK I have rambled and rattled on far to much and I will turn off my pretengineering now.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log