LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 28, 2020, 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 7, 2019, 4:36 pm 

I'm working on a exhaust side-pipe hanger design and would like to find the US part # equivalent for the exhaust hanger rubber piece shown in the picture below. Its from a 90's decade Holden Commodore/Calais/etc. models VN/VP/VR. Part number/identity indicated is GMR008. I haven't found anything on the US side that looks like it yet, but figure it might have a Chevy or other GM part equivalent. GMR008 is available from Oz through fleabay but the shipping is more than the part cost. Is there a US equivalent part #?

Here's GMR008's pic:
Attachment:
Exhaust hanger - 3-1.jpg
Exhaust hanger - 3-1.jpg [ 20.23 KiB | Viewed 2025 times ]

The Kustom Bitz folks in Australia use GMR008 in a variety of exhaust hanger configurations, some shown below:
Attachment:
Exhaust hanger - 2.jpg
Exhaust hanger - 2.jpg [ 56.15 KiB | Viewed 2025 times ]
Attachment:
Exhaust hanger - 4.jpg
Exhaust hanger - 4.jpg [ 62 KiB | Viewed 2025 times ]
Attachment:
Exhaust hanger - 5.jpg
Exhaust hanger - 5.jpg [ 76.71 KiB | Viewed 2025 times ]
Attachment:
Exhaust hanger - 1.jpg
Exhaust hanger - 1.jpg [ 61.7 KiB | Viewed 2025 times ]

A really elegant approach, firm but with some flexibility and a "fail safe" aspect. A variation on this theme might help with hangers that dodge my long trailing arms, but I need the rubber bits to mock something up.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Last edited by seattletom on March 7, 2019, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 7, 2019, 5:57 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Since it was only used on aussie cars, I doubt you will find it cheaper. Might try Rock if they show the holden model.

You might use a 3 hole Merc W124 mount: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-System ... SwZtNa4lOI

I use the common two hole variety. I'm in the process of fitting them to the spit trans mount They hold up very well. 1/2" holes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Fits-Acura-H ... SwO6hahvk3

Another 4 hole: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Fits-Toyota- ... SweTlbtQX3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

PostPosted: March 7, 2019, 8:53 pm 

Have you considered casting in Polyurethane?
Locost.

PostPosted: March 8, 2019, 9:06 am 

'Merican models would rotate in the opposite direction? (ducking)

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.
Girlfriend thinks I'm nuts for building this....

PostPosted: March 8, 2019, 2:49 pm 

Tom,
You might find what you are looking for at Rock Auto. Look at Mazda 626 1988 and newer. The "economy", at the bottom, although a little fuzzy, looks like the one.

WaltJ

PostPosted: March 9, 2019, 3:10 pm 

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, folks. I took a hard look at all of them.

My objective is to have a sidepipe mount providing both horizontal and vertical location for the tailpipe while clearing the long trailing arms. On the approach I was pursuing, a rubber bushing with a 4-hole, diamond patterned design with no slots between the holes was needed. Turns out the Holden part was the only alternative that has this. I was able to get some dimensions and mocked it up, but the result was too big for the space available, even if the part "shrunk" a bit. So off to another approach. :BH:

The C2 and C3 Corvettes had a similar sidepipe issue and used a simple mounting technique. With a little adaptation I think I can make the Corvette approach work and it looks like the mount would fit in the tight space available. And the parts are easily available. :) If this works out, I’ll post the results in my build log.

ChanoquinII, casting my own biscuits in polyurethane was a great idea. Hadn’t really thought of that. Very do-able and lots of different resins to choose from. 60 durometer poly-pieces would probably work in this application. I’ll file that one for the future if the Corvette approach doesn’t work out.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: March 11, 2019, 12:21 am 
The voice of reason

You could take 4 2 hole pieces of rubber and stack them in pairs to make a diamond? ( I'm ducking my head under the table now )

I've been liking the casting option too. You probably land up casting up some other things too.

My plan was something that was a little more like "That's not a side skirt, it's a muffler holder!".

PostPosted: March 11, 2019, 3:13 pm 

If you decide to go the casting route, make sure that the casting material chosen will hold up to the exhaust pipe temperatures. This isn't a suspension part.

Rolling your owns seems to me like a long way to go for an exhaust hanger.

I think you could perform the same "safety" function by using a motor mount or generic rubber suspension bushing, encased in a steel tube. Not unlike the trans mount and diff nose mount that I did for my build.Image

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: March 11, 2019, 4:32 pm 

The closest I could find are Walker Part number 35473 or 35145. they both have 4 holes but to have a slot. Not sure if the slot would mater if made like your examples above.

PostPosted: March 11, 2019, 9:18 pm 

Marcus, not sure how to respond to "My plan was something that was a little more like "That's not a side skirt, it's a muffler holder!" Jeez, this is a family friendly forum. :mrgreen:

Chuck, agree with the potential temperature sensitivity with a RYO casting, but I like the approach for making custom mounts/dampners.

Lee, thanks for looking up the Walker parts. Not sure if the slot would allow for the rigidity needed, as I'll only have one mount at the aft end of each 4' sidepipe. And then I've discovered clearance issues with the size/shape of the Aussie style 4-hole fixtures.

Think I'm committed to the C2/C3 Corvette approach at this point. I'll post some pics of the pieces over on my build log. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

PostPosted: March 12, 2019, 6:43 am 
We are Slotus!

"Hold my muffler and watch this..." -- Marcus :mrgreen: