LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 17, 2023, 9:24 am 

I had issues with my tank in long sweepers if less than a half tank of gas...think on/off ramps. I installed a Holley Hydromat and problem solved.
Paul

PostPosted: October 17, 2023, 11:17 am 

I'm not there yet, but I'm thinking about cutting it open and install a factory Mazda/Ford fuel pump assembly. I don't know the height of the assembly, if it will work or not yet.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: October 17, 2023, 2:21 pm 

Hmm, it seems odd that there are so few tanks that work. Just an odd size and shape I suppose. The 8 gallon one from Kinetic jumped up to 340 or so, but I am not sure if I could make one for less sonce I wpuld need all the fittings and to have someone weld it up for me. Another option is to get one that is too large, then cut it down and have it rewelded which kay be the cost effective sokution

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 12:26 am 

doommachine wrote:
The tanks through Kinetic had a big jump in price from the manufacturer...
No kiddin'. And if somebody with web site maintenance skills would care to get in touch with me, I have a job for you: Upgrade my price list!

My lovely Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 took a dive, I have an elderly Mac that I keep around for legacy programs (Dreamweaver and FileMaker Pro v.11, to be specific) but my Dreamweaver doesn't work any more and Adobe thinks I should buy (rent, actually -- it's a monthly contract thing now) the latest version, and a late-model Mac to run it on. I told them I make Locost parts for a living, but NOOoooo, they don't care.

Back to the original question, and I'm sorry I got here late. From my experience and feedback from builders, the only issue with tilting that JAZ 10 gallon tank is that if done to excess, you can't put as much gas in it because the filler hole leans over when the tank leans over...which would be a whole lot of tilted.

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 10:04 am 

@doommachine

I laid out my boot so that my tank (the JAZ tank from Kinetic) sits vertical at ride height. If you have the room in terms of vertical boot distance with your build you can just make mounting brackets that keep your tank vertical.

@JackMcCornack

Keeping up with all the continuous technology changes for websites is a real challenge. You might want to look at one of the services such as GoDaddy or Shopify or some similar outfit. They have a lot of easy to use tools that simplify the process of creating and maintaining a commercial website. Also, they will typically do a conversion from your old site if you want. Naturally, they charge for that, but then you just have to keep it current with their tools.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 10:14 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@doommachine

I laid out my boot so that my tank (the JAZ tank from Kinetic) sits vertical at ride height. If you have the room in terms of vertical boot distance with your build you can just make mounting brackets that keep your tank vertical.

@JackMcCornack

Keeping up with all the continuous technology changes for websites is a real challenge. You might want to look at one of the services such as GoDaddy or Shopify or some similar outfit. They have a lot of easy to use tools that simplify the process of creating and maintaining a commercial website. Also, they will typically do a conversion from your old site if you want. Naturally, they charge for that, but then you just have to keep it current with their tools.

Cheers,

Pics?

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 11:19 am 

I have extended the rear of my car, to be able to fit that RCI 15 gallon tank vertically. I want some trunk space. I don't want the tank to take up that space.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 12:18 pm 

tibimakai wrote:
I have extended the rear of my car, to be able to fit that RCI 15 gallon tank vertically. I want some trunk space. I don't want the tank to take up that space.

It does look like a viable option, but it has neither a sump or baffles, so it isn't the best solution if one wants to hit the track it seems.

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 1:34 pm 

Alternative to finding the perfect gas tank, you could add a surge tank.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 2:51 pm 

doommachine wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
@doommachine

@JackMcCornack

Cheers,

Pics?

Look about half way down Page 180 of my build log here ==> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886&start=2685

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 19, 2023, 10:16 am 

Ok, I had the 8 gallon in my head and was not understanding vertical with that tank. I really don't want to deal with fuel starvation at the track, so the 8 gallon with foam, sump, and less slosh distance may win out. I won't likely be able to put it above the differential though since that would put the vent outlets at deck height. I do like where you have gone with the structure in the rear

PostPosted: October 19, 2023, 11:11 am 

I'm building my car for street use. That is one reason that I want to install a factory pump assembly, since it has a it's own surge tank, also it will be much quitter.

Locost/442E in progress