LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19, 2008, 1:18 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

chetcpo wrote:
I don't see the need for a hose barb to hard line adapter. In stock form the miata's hard lines just have a double flare on the end and the hose is pushed over that and clamped.

I'm using 5/16 Aluminium hard line. (from Summit) It's much easier to bend and flare.

Well dang...the low pressure hose goes over without too much trouble, but I can't get the high pressure hose over the flare on the 5/16 line for anything. I've tried spit, soap, and every bit of muscle my fingers can muster, and it just doesn't quite stretch over it. Argh.

I'm going to go buy a pair of inverted flare to barb fittings tomorrow for the high pressure hard line. I won't bother for the low pressure side.

I was tight for clearance for the bulkhead fitting, -8 to -6 reducer, and a 90* ell (in either -8 or -6), so I ended up changing out the -8 bulkhead fittings for -6 bulkhead fittings. This made things simpler, and cheaper, too. Wish I could return the -8 bulkhead fittings that came with the tank.

Time for bed now, but I'll post some photos and more commentary tomorrow.

G'nite,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19, 2008, 12:14 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Okay, I wrote up my plumbing progress here: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 8699#38699

It doesn't add too much to the conversation, but there are some decent pictures:

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 8:29 am 

I didnt want to start a new post so I'll ask it here.

Does anyone know of any books about rebuilding a Holley 5200 series or the Weber Conterpart 32/36? I found some books online about rebuilding Holley carbs but it doesnt state what series are covered. I went to the local book store and all they had was a high performance Holley book with mostly aftermarket stuff. I'm looking to either buy a book from someone or a new one from online, so any information on what book would be helpful.

The caburetor is off of a 1977 Ford/Mercury Capri 2.3L.

Thanks in advanced.

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 3:50 pm 

I happened to be leafing through an old Pegasus catalog over the weekend and saw in the list of parts, two books listed. You might give them a call and see what they have. Here is their web site: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/home.asp

John

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 4:07 pm 

Thats funny you mention that because I was just doing the same; looking through their catalog. Funny I got it when I didnt own a pinto engine, and thought it was a neat catalog. Now I'm drooling.

PostPosted: July 5, 2010, 10:28 am 

When I had to make the transition from tube to hose, I used compression ferrules to help retain the hose onto the tubing. When used on tubing, I simply compressed them in place, using standard fittings, then removed the fitting. Where I would not able to remove the fitting, I "glued" them in place with LokTite. I'm sure the ones compressed in place will hold up just fine, not so sure about the long term effects of gasoline on LocTite, but the stuff seems to be impervious to everything.

I think that at least 50% of my solution is a good idea.

Bill

PostPosted: July 30, 2011, 6:28 pm 

I have basically followed the same plan as Chet originally posted. I have a hose to the pump, then filter, then hard line to the engine and back and hose to dump back in the tank. Now that I have got a good 50km on the car I am wondering if I need a vent for the tank. Where does the air come from to replace the gas that I've used? Do I need to add the one way valve from the Miata tank? Maybe feed it through the carbon canister then vent to atmosphere?