LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 20, 2010, 3:37 pm 

I am looking for some advice please. I have ordered a 2 gallon fuel cell that will sit in the passenger footwell (the bulkhead will loop inside the first 8 inches of the passenger footwell to accommodate). It will come with an AN -10 outlet. I have not ordered fittings, hose, pump or filter yet becasue I cannot work out the solution - I have no experience with AN fittings at all.

1) I assume I'll need to reduce the -10, but to what -8, or -6? Reducers appear to step down just one size. Would it be a bad idea to have two consecutive reducers?
2) What size of hose do I need that will match the -8 or -6 and fit a cheap fuel pump (I'm thinking of the Summit $70 pump that dhempy used)?
3) Will the hose that is suitable for the pump fit the barbs on the stock Miata fuel filter?

Can anyone list the components I need that would all tie together?
Many thanks
Martin

PostPosted: July 21, 2010, 12:29 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Unless you're building a monster motor, go with AN-6 fittings. Anything bigger is expensive, large, and just plain ridiculous. Having multiple adapters to get from one connector type to another works fine, but is good to avoid any time you can.

Here's how I did mine the first time:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2741&p=39800#p39800

That's fine, but I recommend going with my final solution, particularly if your tank is already drilled for a larger size hole:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2741&p=81583#p81583

I tried a bunch of ways to make an AN-6 fitting work in a hole drilled for AN-8, without success. (Never could eliminate evidence of weeping fuel) I strongly recommend that your bulkhead fitting be the right size for the hole, and adapt from there.

I'm happy to turn an AN adapter to a barb adapter (as shown in that last link) for the cost of shipping.

You might ask your supplier if you can get the tank undrilled. Then you can just get a AN-6 bulkhead elbow and be done with it. Having it all to do again, I might even be tempted to plug up the big hole somehow and just drill a new hole to suit.

-dave "FWIW" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: July 21, 2010, 8:23 am 

Jegs.com has the adapters
555-110223 straight adapters
or
555-100213
That is AN to AN

I would see if the fuel cell has an NPT thread and just get a -6 an to NPT adapter
Dave

PostPosted: July 21, 2010, 9:57 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Given that you've already got the AN-10 hole in your tank, I'd go with that latter part:
Attachment:
adapter.png

You could then take an AN-6 hose, cut it in the middle, and put the cut end over a suitable barb.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: July 21, 2010, 11:18 am 

for hose sizes try here
http://www.gre6.com/ansize

Do you know what type inner/outer AN fitting is on the tank?
Are you planing to use the braided hose and AN fittings all the way to the pump/filter?

Dave

PostPosted: July 21, 2010, 8:46 pm 

Thanks for your responses guys.
Here is the tank that is on the way - it has AN-10 outlet, AN-8 return and AN-8 vent fittings. I called them and I cannot change the spec.
Attachment:
fuel cell.jpg

So I can drop straight down from the AN-10 to AN-6 using a bulkhead fitting in place of the AN-10 outlet?
Then, looking at the chart you linked, the hose that fits this should be 3/8 inch internal diameter.
The pump I was thinking of is something like this one (I could have sworn I saw one half this price before though)
Attachment:
fuel pump.jpg

The specs are - Electric, Inline, 325 gph, 45 psi, 5/16 in. Hose Barb Inlet, Outlet.
I take it that the 3/8 inch hose will still get a tight fit over a 5/16 barb, or will it not?
Thanks again
Martin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 23, 2012, 3:42 am 

I think there's a conspiracy between Jaz, Fuelsafe, etc. and Earls and Russell. There's no reason they can't make tanks with reasonably sized outlets but I think they do it so one has to buy more fittings. AN-8 is ludicrous for anything less than a 750hp motor.

I gave them all the finger and used the stock Miata pump assembly and built an aluminum tank from .090 5000 series around it.

-Steve

PostPosted: January 23, 2012, 6:50 am 

I am working on this same issue. Most imports use 5/16 hose. But an fittings are hard to come by in that size. My set up is a 8an 90, hose to a 8an strgt fitting to a 8an per filter to a 8an coupler to a 8an to 10mm adapter for the fuel pump. 8an out from the pump to a strgt 8an and then 8an hose to a three part fitting. 8an straight hose to a 8an to 6an reducer and then to my super hard to find 6an female to 5/16 straight hose. This then goes to the stock fuel filter and then to engine. So that's 9 fittings to get from 8an to 5/16 with a fuel pump and two fuel filters.

The return is 5/16 to the three part reducer to 8an hose back to the 8an return on the tank.

Btw you can find the 5/16 to 6an fittings on eBay. Mine came from the uk.

Evo