LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 30, 2012, 12:09 am 

I began building this back in 1995 after my father and I purchased a number of RM kits from a group in Canada. I took one of the bare chassis and body sets and decided that i wanted to build myself a fun daily driver that could do some occasional track duty. It took an antire fall, winter and spring to get it done, but I was driving it fully street legal(sort-of) and titled here in PA the next summer.

The car was a highly modified RM-7 chassis with a Toyota 4-AGE motor, T-50 transmission, dual Mikuni PHH-40 carbs, Electromotive HPV-1 crank trigger ignition, custom header, Mazda GSL disk brake/LSD rear, Isuzu Impulse front uprights/brakes, lots of AutoMeter gauges and hundreds of hours of work.

The nice thing about the RM "kits" is the fiberglass body pieces. Some may like them and some may hate them, but its what I had and decided to build it that way. It came out pretty good for my first build and hopefully the next one will be better. I'm currently working on one for my father and hope to have it done so he has something fun to drive this summer. After that, we still have one more "kit" in storage and I might get to build one for myself. After finding these pictures, it brings back memories of how much fun these cars are.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/ ... 20replica/

PostPosted: January 30, 2012, 5:16 pm 

Beautiful build! 8)

James

PostPosted: January 30, 2012, 8:04 pm 

That, my friend, is a very nice looking car. :cheers:

PostPosted: January 30, 2012, 11:00 pm 
We are Slotus!

Nice build! Quite well done, Sir!

Were the front fenders fiberglass as well as the main body panels?

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 30, 2012, 11:26 pm 

Thanks for the kind words.

There were 8 fiberglass body sections: front fenders(2), nose cone, hood, scuttle/windshield, body sides(2) and rear fender. The rear fender section went from the scuttle all the way around the back to the other side. Big piece but the gelcoat and fiberglass work were all very nice. I have another one that I stored away back in '95 and I hope to build this summer. If I move it before then, I'll take pix of the pieces.

I remember there being some pix of the chassis, but I've yet to find them. Hopefully while cleaning this weekend I'll locate them. You never know what you'll find when she makes you clean the basement.