LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 4:31 am 

Blub4 wrote:
I like the design. Also I would like to point out that the British have their own fashion sense, which I like also.

Yeah, give a Brit some fibreglass and ... I'll just leave this here, and it's only a few

PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 10:26 am 

Quote:
Yeah, give a Brit some fibreglass and ... I'll just leave this here, and it's only a few

Kind of reminds me of a pedal car. :7:

PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 11:15 am 

Cheapracer, there's no accounting for taste and A) somewhere there is somebody (and hopefully somebodys) who likes the looks of each of those cars you've presented, and B) there are plenty of domestic examples of unappealing kit cars, it's hardly a forté exclusive to British designers. I think the primary problem with the Replicar is what the robot folks call the uncanny valley--you know what it's supposed to look like so it's oddities look particularly odd. Also as we've seen from the still photos, there are angles where the Replicar looks quite nice, provided there's nobody sitting in it.

Dang, the DBR1 is a gorgeous automobile, but capturing that beauty with stock Miata components and dimensions is an impossible task. It's nice that...
stiggymills wrote:
The MX5/Replicar wheel base is almost identical to the DBR1.
...but the same can be said for the VW Microbus and it too would take a lot of modification to match the look of the DBR1.

However, I believe Stuart has his market figured out, and his market prefers what the Brits call cheap-and-cheerful (that's cheap-and-easy on this side of the pond, and you leave my mother out of this) to optimizing looks and/or performance. I will say this, though: using stock Miata seats* is fine until somebody sits in them, at which point it turns into a clown car, and I doubt many people will stick with...
stiggymills wrote:
The Replicar seat base is thick and sits on runners, the DBR1 is thin and bolted to the floor.
...unless cost means an awful lot to them. When one sees photos of the Replicar empty, one can imagine the backrest is a headrest, but the illusion cannot withstand occupancy.

Stuart is an amazingly prolific designer. I'm quite fond of the look of the Sonic, myself, and many of his designs have my interest and even envy. But first thing** I'd do if I had a Replicar to own and love and drive is I'd remove the DBR1 styling cues (vents, radiator air inlet, etc) so it looked like a generic '50s sports racer instead of a parody of an iconic '50s sports racer.

*I'm presuming they are Miata seats, because what other excuse is there for them besides they came free with the donor? If I'm in error, I mean no insult to Barcalounger or La-Z-Boy or whatever manufacturer deserves the credit for them.
**Edit: Second thing, actually, but I think replacing the seats goes without saying.

PostPosted: September 28, 2013, 11:39 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Stuart is an amazingly prolific designer. I'm quite fond of the look of the Sonic, myself,

Just so we are clear my suggestion was sincere and genuine and I have a lot of admiration for Stiggy, he is in a position to do something really great and I agree about the Sonic, also one of my favorites. That I don't like most of his designs is personal taste as you hint at.

I would mention that the comments here about the Replicar are echoed in most forums reporting it.

I toy with the Aston idea myself occasionally and worked out a simple way to do the section profiles recently as seen below, I have just been so darn busy with other stuff but need to get back to my cars soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 30, 2013, 3:47 pm 

I will keep the positive current media flowing. Fun last weekend in the Replicar.
http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/thre ... llTo=40980

PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 12:37 pm 

Interesting indeed.

The comparison photos really show the differences.

I like the Replicar for what it is and how it looks, because of how it was designed to be built with affordable Mazda parts.
That said, it would be nice to see one built beyond just the "stock" Mazda parts.

Over here in the states, Dayton Wire Wheels will make up a set of beautiful wheels in any size you want.
Doesn't anyone over there? Not cheap, but worth it.
The Replicar will look much better with larger diameter wire wheels.
I would put painted wires on it, not chrome if I was building the car.
And then cut/reshape the wheel arches.

The stock suspension is way too tall for the lighter Replicar. Looks ready for off-roading!
So, like many of us who drive an MX5/Miata we put on shorter shocks or, as I have, adjustable coil-over shocks with shorter springs to lower it several inches.

The seat height in the Replicar is also too high but that is an easy fix.
I am 6'-4" and performed the common "seatectomy" as soon as I got my car.
That removes some of the foam from the seat base. In my case I removed 4" and it works great.
I would also like to bolt my seat to the pan and ditch the runners but after 10 years of daily driving I haven't done it yet...
In the Replicar I would use a thin seat and bolt it down at the perfect place and angle for me and not worry about how other people fit.
It would be MY car after all.

The rear end... well, new body molds would correct that difference from the original, and since the original is taller and more rounded, it should be easy to install the rear lights to comply with legal requirements.
Maybe a Mk II body in the future?
With an accurate copy of the original.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Replicar now and make my own modifications if I lived over there.

A beautiful car on its own that just needs a few details to look much better, and a new body mold to look fabulous.

Mods I would make today:
Slam that puppy! Lower it at least 3" and probably more.
Painted wire wheels of the correct size.
Seats mounted on the floor with minimal thickness but high quality/density seat foam.

Those are simple, inexpensive changes that would make it look much better to my eye, but still not a faithful copy obviously.

A demonstrator car should be the best attainable "look" that builders can aspire to achieve by going beyond the budget build.

As is, the Replicar reminds me of a raved about Concept Car revealed to the public at a car show.
Then the factory changes a "few things" to the production model car to make it more "practical".
Only to learn that few buy one because it lost most of what they liked about the concept.
The "LOOK".

Then the factory wonders why people don't buy the production model.

I really, really like the design goal of using the MX5/Miata suspension, subframes, drivetrain, etc.
I would like to see more kit cars using this type of quick and affordable construction.

A "new" Cobra kit could be done so easily this way.
Since installing a V8 in an MX5/Miata is commonly done, designing for that in a kit car would be simple.
The "new" Cobra would be lighter than a stock MX5/Miata AND any other Cobra kits available, and less expensive!
The sacrilegious could even use the stock 4 cylinder engine. :ack:
Maybe just while saving up for the V8? :roll:

James

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 1:45 am 

today i had the privilage of seeing one of Stuarts DB1R look alikes, its very basic in that only the bonnet opens, no doors or trunk.

the owner used some kirkey bomber seats and very little else in the interior, they could be made lower in the chassis but not by much.

the owners treatment of the top of the mazda 1800 motor was to say the least interesting and made it look very vintage and correct, it did not look out of place in the engine bay by any means.

the chassis and the panelling was a very simple design, i would have worked harder at it if it were mine but its o.k.

it was standing on the same wheels as in all the pictures but these definately need to go, even some fat steels with holes would be better in a 17" size with a 65 profile tire, more in keeping with the sixties theme.

the area where the side vents go is just a recess with no actual vents or slats, just a blank recess.

all in all, it could be made into a very respectable vintage style sports car if the owner worked a little harder at a progression towards the aston version of the car even if it never really achieves the replica that it could be with some mold modifications.

its a pitty that it has no doors or trunk, even i have a spare wheel and jack in the trunk of my locost and a door, all be it minimal, on each side of the car, again, this would really need mold modifications.

if i could just find someone to pull molds off the body Jack, the chassis and panelwork for the interior could be knocked up in my shed in a week, the rest is just nuts and bolts.

when you consider what curtis charge for a lotus 23 body or the like and the very minimal chassis needed, i'm shure that you could reproduce one for about double what it would cost just to ship the body/chassis kit from the u.k. there are only two parts to the body, the body and a hood.

if you worked hard on an interior package, that would improve the car a lot with a tuck and roll bench style seat and the ride hight could be attended to without a lot of trouble, all things that should be done

this is like when cobra kits first came out in the u.k. some were available based on a ford cortina, pinto ohc 4 banger and all with the cortina wheels and seats, this is where this car is now but we all know what can be done within the bounds of the cobra body, these things could be done to the DB1r kit.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 3:27 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
today i had the privilage of seeing one of Stuarts DB1R look alikes...
Aaargh! And we don't get to? Crimeny, John, don't you have a cell phone or something? :) Pics please.

PostPosted: May 25, 2015, 9:22 pm 

Jack, you know what they look like.

besides i'm an old fart, cell phones if i remember to take it with me, are for making an emergency call if in dyer trouble.

mine is ten years old and analogue, it one step up from a brick.

photos with a phone, what do you think this is, the 21st. century, next you will be telling me that i can post on the forum directly from a phone.

there are phone booths and photo booths if you need one or other while you are out.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 25, 2015, 9:52 pm 

What's a phone booth? Oh yeah, that little kiosk thingy at the Mall where you get i-phones.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 12:29 am 
The voice of reason

I don't have a cell phone either. I'm waiting till they make the good ones.

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 11:49 am 

john hennessy wrote:
Jack, you know what they look like.
Boy, I'm sure glad I put a smiley face in my "Crimeny, John, don't you have a cell phone or something? :) " so you'd know I was funnin' ya. But while I kinda know what they look like, there's value in seeing what an unbiased observer sees in a production version in its natural habitat, as well as what the manufacturer shows of the prototype. Some angles are better than others, and it behooves a manufacturer to show his product in its best light. Also, if the builder of the one you saw has installed lower seats (and/or taller wheels) it might make quite a difference in the look. So if you see it again, I hope you'll bring your camera.

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 10:51 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
JackMcCornack wrote:
Stuart is an amazingly prolific designer. I'm quite fond of the look of the Sonic, myself,

Just so we are clear my suggestion was sincere and genuine and I have a lot of admiration for Stiggy, he is in a position to do something really great and I agree about the Sonic, also one of my favorites. That I don't like most of his designs is personal taste as you hint at.

I know these comments are from 18 months ago now but, since the thread got resurrected, I'll add my tuppence worth on the Sonic :)

While the MEV Sonic is not terrible looking, it's is still a pale replica of the original Okuyama K.O.7 which IMHO is a much better executed design. By comparison, the Sonic's proportions are not quite right and it looks quite chunky around the tail. E.g.
Sonic:
K.O.7 :

Anyway, just my opinion but I rarely miss the chance to point out the K.O.7 to people who are unaware of it's existence :)

D

PostPosted: May 27, 2015, 12:29 am 
Toyotaphobe

Is the KO7 still made?

I've never seen it before and it's awesome looking. Of course I don't know any particulars about it, but I'm betting Miata powered since it's being compared to the Sonic.

$150,000?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 27, 2015, 1:25 am 

The KO7 is lovely indeed, and I too give it many loveliness points above the Sonic, but let's give credit where credit is due. Other than similarity of appearance (rear-mid engine, semi-open wheels) these two aren't even an apples and oranges comparison...maybe apples and donuts or a similar departure from equivalent food group. First of all, the Sonic is a kit car and the KO7 is a limited production exotic. The KO7 is not Ken Okuyama's most attractive car design--personally, I think the Ferrari Enzo is his finest work, from back when he was Creative Director for Pininfarina. The KO7 costs roughly 10 times what a finished Sonic sells for, and by gosh, with that heritage and price, it sure as shootin' ought to be a prettier car than the Sonic. Is it ten times as attractive? Not in my opinion. Maybe twice as attractive, but I'd still rather have ten Sonics than one KO7.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next