LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 7:39 pm 

Here's a couple videos of a kid in New Zealand that built himself a really impressive rally car in his barn. The first one isn't really technical but shows some good action shots of it, while the second one is a bit longer and is mostly an interview with the builder about how he built it and where the parts came from. I think this has somewhat renewed my faith in the next generation. I figured there's probably a few people on here that would like this.

https://youtu.be/lMAR9mBFN4c
https://youtu.be/a5WALqr9KTw

Kristian

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 9:32 pm 

Can you imagine the locost that kid could build?????????????????????????????

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 9:44 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Can you imagine the locost that kid could build?????????????????????????????

"Built in a Barn."

Ummm. I've never seen a "barn" that had polished floors and a full machine shop!!!

I give the kid full credit for building the car, but he had a great platform to start from and a LOT of help and support from family. I presume the other high performance cars in the background are Dads?

He's got a hell of a future in WRC. I wish that would pick up in the US. I'd love to see my kiddo fall in with that crowd!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 10:24 pm 

I think I actually read about this car as he was building it a few years ago. IF I remember correctly, with the exception of the work space and tools - his parents funded very little of the project, I think the only thing they actually paid for was the subaru pictured in the beginning. I think he paid for the entire build of the mc2 with winnings from his national rally championships in the subaru.

but this was a few years ago, and I could be totally wrong.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 11:01 pm 

Not taking anything from his achievements... He's far above most 18yo kids I know that won't lift a finger unless you pay them to do it and then they'll complain you didn't pay them enough.

But you have got to admit that when you start your "scratch built" car in a $100k "barn" shop, the only reason you'd fail is lack of effort!

Oh, I'll admit.... I'm totally jealous!!!

K :mrgreen: S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 11:41 pm 

Yes, it's a very nice barn. I wish I had access to the stuff he does. He obviously has some pretty good connections to be able to get stuff like a one off Sadiv transmission and water cooler Subaru brakes from their factory rally car efforts, never mind scoring a Formula Renault engine and the tuning. I'm thinking that would be a pretty cool engine for a locost too.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 12:35 am 

On the very positive side, even conceiving of, and then following through on, a project of that size at his age is truly extraordinary. That young man is obviously very exceptional. Who knows where he got the money? And, he probably did have help along the way. But still, if he even did half of the design and fab work on the car, that would put him into very rare company.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 10:32 am 

It's also inspired me to build a BEC locost rally car for my next build! I wanna slam sequential gears through the woods!

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 11:07 am 

1055 wrote:
It's also inspired me to build a BEC locost rally car for my next build! I wanna slam sequential gears through the woods!
That is the very same thought that has me wanting to build a BEC when this one is done.

Only question is: Middy first or BEC???

K "indecisive" S

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 11:21 am 

Middy BEC! Two birds, one stone! could even keep it chain drive at that point.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 11:36 am 

1055 wrote:
Middy BEC! Two birds, one stone! could even keep it chain drive at that point.
Good thing you're not closer... I like the way you think and we'd get into a lot of trouble!!! :cheers:

K "he did it" S