LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: My messy new shop
PostPosted: May 20, 2012, 2:27 pm 

Lots of race-safe fuel cells available. A couple of examples:

http://www.atlinc.com/saver-cell-series.html
http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/road_race.pdf

Not necessarily locost...but neither is a fire.

Safety hoops (or equivalent) can keep broken axles from puncturing the tank and/or occupants. And the triangulation braces between the two rear (horizontal) hoops could be configured to reduce the risk from a rear-end impact.

Good discussion subject. And I like the MadMax configuration :twisted:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: June 23, 2012, 2:31 pm 
The voice of reason

Still pugging away. trying to tie up a bunch of details and get closer to playing with metal. I have a question about driveshaft u-joints that I'll post below. Here's the what the car looks like now. This has the improved engine bay and dash bracing. It removes the cross tubes on a Locost that are often modified to fit various engines/transmissions. Instead the dash is made stronger and the bracing forward from there is well tied together. The dash is now a "Terry Hoop".

I haev placed the front suspension parts and coilover. There is both an outboard and the start of the inboard version. I think the best option for inboard suspension is the bodywork from Jack McCornack. Half the drag means twice the power, that's a pretty good deal.

I have put in a floor to help tie down some details. Will make a Kirkey seat later today. Moved the rear hoops back a bit to allow a vertical shape 5 gallon fuel cell.

Made up a set of Wilwood hanging pedals and a set of floor mounted Tilton pedals. The Wilwood ones have the proper support drawn, the Tilton ones are just pedals for now. I think the floor mount pedals seem more right for a very low seating position, perhaps the hanging pedals are better for street use.

I made drawings of a Woodward steering rack and also an aftermarket Mustang style rack and also a collapsable oval track steering column.

Working on checking the cockpit sizing etc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 24, 2012, 2:30 pm 

Marcus, I believe that's a Ford Modular V8 with a Crown Vic sump?

Are you able to confirm that please?

PostPosted: June 24, 2012, 7:09 pm 
The voice of reason

No , it's some Chevy motor. It's an LS of some type. I was trying to draw a Ford small block but don't have good dimensions or pictures. I think it's smaller and would fit better, but I'm told unless you buy an aluminum block for your Ford it would weight 90 lbs. more. SeattleTom is thinking of building one of those and he prefers :chev: , so I drew that in for him.

From my measuring the Ford 302 is just really small. I was thinking about trying to make a short intake and oil pan, then it would be maybe 20" tall. With a dry sump maybe less.

The modular motors are just huge and once you get to these big displacement motors you more then enough power.

I noticed my wooden figure in the car is all goofed up size wise. I don't know what happened, but I'm fixing him now and putting in a seat and it makes the car look more correct with a proper size driver.

PostPosted: June 24, 2012, 9:43 pm 

The Modular is very big indeed and something of a surprise for Ford going from having the smallest, lightest V8 (Windsor) for so many years to suddenly having the biggest and most complicated without any apparent advantage.

I have a basic 3D of the Modular and AOD available to me but not sure of the sump dimensions.

One advantage if you design it around a Modular is that any V8 including big blocks will fit in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22