LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 3:16 pm 

I know I want an "SA" as opposed to an "M" due to the fact that I have a roll bar - but beyond that I'm pretty open. I'd like full-face to keep the wind from whacking me in the ears and eyes. I don't want to spend a fortune (read: entry level).

Does anyone have experience / recommendations?

There is a TON of info out there on the interweb and much of it conflicts. - One review says the helmet is the "roundest fit he's ever tried" and the next guy says its super oblong.

Do certain brands tend to be biased toward one shape or another? I think I'm a block head and need one that's a little longer front to back and narrower side to side. I think every rental I've ever tried on sits hard on the crown of my forehead.

Any and all feedback is welcome. If I can spend $169 for the Zamp SA2010 and be just as happy with it as a Simpson, Bell or HJC at double the price, why not!?

Thanks friends.

rusty

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 4:03 pm 

I have one data point.

I gota Helmet in 1998, a Bell Sport - entry level of the Bell full face helmets. It is soo comfy and is still fairly 'like new' as I stopped racing in 2000. Recently it's been a pain as it's SA95 rated so somewhat expired. Karting places say "OK, this time, but you need a new one" (I HATE rental helmets).

So after looking around, I decided to get the same model again. Yeah fairly costy but I know I liked the fit. So it arrives, and it was awful!. It was NOTHING like my old Bell sport. *Apparently* they have been changing the ranges, making the Bell Sport a lower level helmet than it used to be. Somehow this affects the fit?

Anyway, I went to the shop to try another size/whatever and ended getting the next model or two up and having some fitment pads added. Cost a bit more but it's comfy (And in that cool rubberised black).

Anyway, the point of my post is, even the Bells/Simpsons/whatever can fit badly and differently over the years. No advice based on that fact, but it's an info point that may or may not come in handy. Just remember that one person saying a helmet or model is bad for them means nothing until you try it on :)

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 4:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Rusty-
I'd have to Echo Tom's sentiments. I've bought one (that's one!) helmet via internet "mail order" and had to return it because it didn't fit right. The others were all purchased "live" in a store. I usually had to try on two or three models of the same size to find one that fit my big-ol'-round-like-Charlie-Brown head and would accomodate my glasses.

:cheers:
JD "Bucket Head" Kemp

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 4:27 pm 

After 40 years of helmets that gave me a headache I bought an obround Arai and I love it. If your not a round head you need to spend the money. Anything not made specifically for obround headed people will be too loose to be effective. The deal with M series helmets has more to do with the fire retardent lining material than roll bars. I have an M and they won't let me use it in a track car. It should be possible to get it relined by Arai but I haven't tried it. Most high end helmet producers would rebuild helmets in the past. They should be replaced everytime you get a good smack and compress the foam liner. The answer to the cost problem is to buy online (in fall) from shops that over stock. This works best for M series helmets :cry: But remember if you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet.

PostPosted: November 11, 2011, 9:02 pm 

Honestly, when looking at helmets the internet is mostly just useful for getting an idea of which makes/models are in your price range and comparing technical specifications on paper...You can't draw any conclusions about fit from internet opinions, and will still have to try them all on for yourself to know which one will fit your head best. So if you have narrowed down the helmets that meet your requirements, you next step is to find a shop (or shops) that carry them. It might cost a little more to buy from a shop vs online, but this is the type of product where it will be worth it.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 12, 2011, 1:49 pm 

I confess I sized my helmet at a shop. Fortunately they only had some awful paint jobs so I had to find one on line.
T

PostPosted: November 12, 2011, 1:57 pm 

"Obround". .. my new word for the week. Cool 8)

PostPosted: November 12, 2011, 3:55 pm 

I love my Arai motorcycle helmets (although I wish there was less wind noise), but can't afford an SA rated Arai, so I replaced my expired bell sport with an SA2010 version which has more of a "full fit" than my old one did. After a few races I'm noticing a pressure point right in the middle of my forehead, but that could be from the seam in my nomex balaclava. A buddy got a pyrotect for about the same price, maybe a little less and it seems to be a little higher quality, but it might be harder to find a dealer for those. Like others have said, trying them on in person is worth the effort of finding a place that has them in stock.

PostPosted: November 12, 2011, 4:16 pm 

vroom wrote:
I confess I sized my helmet at a shop. Fortunately they only had some awful paint jobs so I had to find one on line.
T
This isn't aimed at your specific situation, but I just want to throw out there that most shops will be more than happy to order you the specific version of any helmet that they are a vendor for. Some will even drop ship ordered products directly to your house.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 13, 2011, 5:38 am 

Try look what are use racing teams,they are quite important safety.
for sizes can look

PostPosted: November 13, 2011, 1:28 pm 

Comfort is paramount but have the helmet fit a little tight as it will break in. I always used to get Simpson but they altered their design and they rubbed the tip if my nose! Now use Bell and I buy from http://www.usracegear.com/. Real good people and great prices.

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: November 13, 2011, 10:38 pm 

So what y'all are telling me is buying a helmet is exactly like buying ski boots. Every Tom Dick and Harry has an opinion on which brand is 'the best' but when it comes right down to it, fit is everything.
Bummer. There just aren't a lot of Auto Racing shops here in the SLC area. Miller Motorsports Park is about the only one I can think of and it's a solid hour+ drive.

Does anybody know if M and SA helmets from the same manufacturer fit the same way? I wonder if I could hit up one of the zillion motorcycle shops and narrow down a brand that fits my dome. . .

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: November 14, 2011, 9:59 am 

I'm on my second G-Force Pro helmet and I am very happy with it. Price is about $250 and it's rated SA. Racerwholesale.com is selling a bunch of closeout helmets right now.

Ken

PostPosted: November 22, 2011, 5:04 pm 

As a motorbike rider I've had a few in the the day. I MUST try a helmet on before buying unless it's a direct interchange. Used Soumy, Shoei, Arai, Bell. You really want to buy a cheap helmet?? I know two neurosurgeons.
Buy something that fits properly. Even an expensive helmet isn't good if it doesn't fit properly.
Must admit I don't know much about racing helmets in any case.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: November 22, 2011, 9:53 pm 
The voice of reason

Rsut_bucket, wether the M and SA are the same may vary a bit by the manufacturer. I would give a better answer but it changes over the years. I believe at least sometimes the SA helmut may have a more narrow eye opening. Within a brand you would think you have a good chance on getting the sizing right by trying similar helmuts. If you go to a good motorcycle store, they should be happy to order the SA version for you, once you try on the M version. Good motorcycle stores are full of gearheads...