LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 5:42 pm 

Language is not safe for work or children!

Here's the story from the video:
"First drive for the Exocet. Went approximately .3 miles from my house to the Chevron gas station while on the way the Exocet laser aligned. Ford Expedition backs into it literally in the first 10 minutes of it's life. Apologies for coarse language."

http://vimeo.com/40900072

I think we can all imagine what this felt like. Just thought it was worth sharing. :cheers:

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 9:27 pm 

Idiot Expedition Driver wrote:
I didn't see it!
Hint: Try looking behind the truck next time, since that's usually where things come from when you're backing up. :BH:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 12:25 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Painful. Beyond words.

The doof in the suv surely didn't see it. He should have, but they just don't see us. Blame him, hate him, but PROTECT YOURSELF!!! Of course this builder did nothing wrong and really couldn't have done anything to stop the doof...I'm thinking more about us driving around, especially in traffic, or evn worse, in parking lots.

Drive like a trained motorcyclist. Choose yellow paint over flat black. Expect that car to turn left across your path. Don't expect the car on the side street to stay behind his stop sign. Park obnoxiously, when called for. Honk ( or goose ) when you first suspect a brain dead driver, not after you've confirmed the fact...you'll be gone before they have a chance to flip you off!

Looks like his damage was minimal. Not much of a consolation, I know. But no injury, and that's what rally matters.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 8:43 am 
We are Slotus!

And the really depressing part is, if some idiot backs into your Locost and then you drag him out of his giant SUV and beat the snot out of him -- as he so richly deserves-- YOU would be the one to go to jail. Sometimes I think we've gotten too civilized.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 8:58 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
...Sometimes I think we've gotten too civilized.

My liberal friends hate it when I say that. :mrgreen: As a motorcycle rider, I concur with Hempy's advice. Physics always prevails, so drive like they're coming after you.

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 9:14 am 

I consider the Locost as a 4-wheeled motorcycle and try to drive it as such. Unfortunately, there is no defensive driving action to take when you are not even in the car (on the bike) at the time. This was an accident, pure and simple. Painful as it is, $#!t happens.

Did anybody else notice the dad and 3 kids just stop in their tracks, watch it all unwind and then sheepishly change their direction to walk around them? Maybe their reaction would have been different if the language wasn't so colorful.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 11:52 am 

wjfawb0 wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
...Sometimes I think we've gotten too civilized.

My liberal friends hate it when I say that. :mrgreen: As a motorcycle rider, I concur with Hempy's advice. Physics always prevails, so drive like they're coming after you.

I'm pretty sure they are coming after me. I also think a motorcycle has several advantages in traffic to a locost. I can fit down a shoulder or between lanes to avoid an accident, and have several times. I can also take swings at other cars, and have, to avoid accidents.

The car was in full view of the SUV drivers passenger side mirror, as a mechanic, I've found that 30-40% of cars have the mirrors so far out of adjustment that they are useless. To be a dick I've asked customers, "I noticed your mirrors are all wonky while backing out of the shop, is there something broken with the power adjustment?" to which I usually get a, "no I don't use them."

The solution to our pollution, fuel, and road safety problems is simply more restrictive licensing.

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 12:16 pm 

IA599 wrote:
The solution to our pollution, fuel, and road safety problems is simply more restrictive licensing.
Amen! :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 1:00 pm 

ALWAYS drive like it's a motorcycle. Unfortunately the doofus just wasn't paying attention. I was in a GF's friend's Miata years ago and the same thing happened at a Royal Farm store. I was in the car with my GF at the time. Honked, couldn't move since another car was blocking me. HONK HONK HONK crunch big PU put a dent in the front fender. F-hole acted like it was my fault because he couldn't see the car. The girl( car owner) was not happy to say the least and I even helped her take care of things. She still says "I owe her" to this day.

Crap happens, most people can't drive worth a $8it and will blame anybody else for their crappy driving. One of my good friends bought my Duc 900ss and he was having coffee at Sbucks and sees a woman on a cellphone back right into and knock the bike over. She looked around and was going to drive away. Her husband (in the driver's seat) made her stop and told her the error of her ways. She starts arguing.. I couldn't see the bike I'm not at fault.. Those things shouldn't be parked here.. At this point the husband ( Lawyer)is apologizing to my friend and says get it fixed and I'll pay for everything. He did just that. Turned out OK. My friend would have really laid into the woman, but the guy was really cool about the whole situation.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 1:53 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I had a black Miata and people just kept running into me. I lost mirrors on both sides and all 4 corners so I bought a bright yellow S2000. No more problems.

Color means a lot!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 3:39 pm 

wjfawb0 wrote:
As a motorcycle rider, I concur with Hempy's advice. Physics always prevails, so drive like they're coming after you.

I'm a bicycle rider. You expect the driver to do something stupid, then to flip you the bird when you yell at them. Then they go to the bar and tell all of their friends how all cyclists are @#$@#-holes and should be shot on site.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: April 25, 2012, 3:43 pm 

Well, at least it was all on video. Shouldn't have any problems with the insurance company.

And yes, we DO need more stringent licensing!

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 12:21 pm 

this is true,

when i was 17 my friends and i had motorcycles, two of my friend were riding along on the same bike when the front tire got a nail in it and they hit the oncomming traffic and were killed, i was following them at the time and almost ran over the bodies.

as a result i sold my motorcycle.

about 15 years later with two kids and a mortgage i needed cheap transport so i got a bike, again two of my friends needed to get home, about 3 miles away, it was about 12 midnight so they used the bike,

they were hit by a leaner driver, the bike was trashed but they both survived, although one was severly injured and was diabled for a year with several operations to his legs, he lost his job and hit on very bad times financially to the point where he was living in a van.

the very next time i got on a motorcycle, it was a dirt bike on a track, first lap going through the woops a girl hit me from behind and i fell off breaking my ribs.

that was tweenty years ago and i have not been on a motorcycle since!

the word death trap comes to mind and it doesn't mean anything when you say "i'm a good rider and i pay attention" because you are still at the mercy of other road users, i say road users because i would not class them all as drivers, drivers have skills which road users don't.

the same applies to locosts or any other vehicle of a small stature, be very carefull with other road users, assume they are blind deaf and stupid, that their radio is at full volume and they are having an argument on the phone whilst driving.

be carefull where you park and try not to leave your pride and joy unattended.

it's a battle field out there folks!

as a foot note, install a cd player and leave it on loud when you leave the car for a short time, if they don't see your car, they might here it.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 12:43 pm 

Is this the place where I mention that "loud pipes save lives" isn't probably very accurate? I once did the volunteer fire & ambulance thing, and gotta tell you, people didn't see the lights or hear the sirens all of the time either.

Then there is that "doppler effect" that means that stuff in front of you, while you're moving, probably doesn't hear the sounds as much as you might think -- they usually are hearing echos from the sides. My time at NASCAR and IndyCar events seems to bear this out.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 12:53 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
Is this the place where I mention that "loud pipes save lives" isn't probably very accurate? I once did the volunteer fire & ambulance thing, and gotta tell you, people didn't see the lights or hear the sirens all of the time either.

Then there is that "doppler effect" that means that stuff in front of you, while you're moving, probably doesn't hear the sounds as much as you might think -- they usually are hearing echos from the sides. My time at NASCAR and IndyCar events seems to bear this out.

My DD bike is damn near silent, and my room mates old Nighthawk hack-job is loud. It makes no difference.

OTOH my girlfriend's helmet has a mohawk that lights up and she rarely has close encounters when riding at night. It's amazing what some bouncing lights up at SUV-driver eye-level will do for you. I think a CB whip straight up off the rollbar with a bright amber light could do wonders for a locost. Like an orange flag on a Moped.