LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: December 1, 2012, 7:46 pm 

Stuart, don't get defensive, We were asked for our opinion. And that is what was given. Plain and simple. LocostUSA is a bunch of individuals with varying tases. Probably more so than the usual car enthusiast website. Most other sites are a bit more focused on one make or model. We are a bunch of DIY'ers, each with our own likes, dislikes and capabilities. We share our methods and designs and most of us have built up pretty thick armour against criticism.

However, in the spirit of this site and DIY'ers, you were asked to share the vehicle make/model that you got the for the MEVster windshield from. Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen an answer to this basic queation other than "I don't want to spoil the flow". We have discussed curved windshields over the years and have yet found one that does not need cutting. Cutting a laminated windshield is a 50/50 proposition for even the best fabricator. You might get a little more "street cred" on this site if you helped us guys out now and then. Especially where we have come up with a blank, or ask a direct question. I know that this is not your primary function, as you are a business. But please share this info.

As for:
Quote:
It is weird how 2 of you have got hung up over screen frame width.

I know how colors and angles change what the mind can see. I tried to find 2 cars of the same color and angle. this is the best I could do. Can you say that you have improved the field of vision? Maybe my eyes deceive, but aesthetic design is what the eyes (mind) can see, not what the ruler can measure.
Attachment:
mx5-mevster.JPG
Even your MEVX5 looked so much better in the "a" pillar that the MEVster. Not knowing the construction of the MEVX5, I suspect that you kept the entire Miata windshield surround.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 2, 2012, 9:01 pm 

My 2 cents on the windshield? Early mini cooper?

PostPosted: December 2, 2012, 9:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

eurokraft wrote:
My 2 cents on the windshield? Early mini cooper?

I don't understand why anyone should have to be guessing. If he's that secretive about something that minor it puts me off on the whole "let stiggy post here" routine we've just gone through.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 2, 2012, 11:47 pm 

I agree..Imo if you are on a forum that was created to help each other and share info ..then share info ! Or simply give us average joes on here your web address and we may or my not visit and you will never know who likes or dislikes your creation.If your interested in my opinion your car looks like one of those amphibious things made from an old jetboat hull and some kitcar bodywork glassed on top .

PostPosted: December 3, 2012, 1:20 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Cutting a laminated windshield is a 50/50 proposition for even the best fabricator.

Eh? I just use a 4" grinder with a thin cutting disc and go slow as to not melt the plastic, cuts like butter!

I didn't know it was an issue and nobody told me I couldn't do it that way so I guess that's why I haven't had a problem doing it :lol:

Wear the right gear especially breathing mask.

PostPosted: December 3, 2012, 4:56 pm 

It cuts like butter? I tried cutting a windshield with butter once, and all I got was a greasy windshield.

A good discovery there, cheapracer, I'll give it a try next time the problem comes up. A while ago somebody mentioned you can cut a glass windshield with a plasma cutter...I tried it and it came out as smooth and accurate as if I'd cut the windshield with a chain saw. So for cutting windshields with angle grinder and cutting disc, I think I'll practice on small pieces first.

PostPosted: December 3, 2012, 5:35 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
It cuts like butter? I tried cutting a windshield with butter once, and all I got was a greasy windshield.
You have to heat the butter first. It always cuts easier when it's warmed up. :P

PostPosted: December 3, 2012, 10:38 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:

A good discovery there, cheapracer,

One of my first part time jobs when I was still at school was in a car wrecking yard on weekends. When we cut the cars up we would slice the roof off with a 9" grinder and cutting disc cutting straight through the A, B and C pillars along with the front and rear windows, that's how I knew.

Please note how dangerous glass powder can be to your eyes and lungs though and do wear a mask of some type along with safety glasses.

PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 6:41 pm 

They say the camera does not lie but the pictures of an MX5 and MEVSTER side by side proves that pictures can be misleading. I did not use hot butter or an angle grinder on the MEVSTER screen.
INFORMATION SHARING COMING UP !!
I chose an off the shelf one from a VW 1303. Lots of kits sit in garages as they cannot replace a screen once the kit firm has gone to the wall, not only that but the MEVSTER screen only costs £65. Flat glass and a thin steel frame would not look good on MEVSTER IMO.
Blog has been updated now the panels are painted.

PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 8:32 pm 

Thanks Stuart! Pity it's too wide for my Lolalookalike body, but it may be useful to some of the lads.

PS: My fellow Americans, the 1303 was sold in the States as the SuperBeetle (an the winner is...MiataV8!)

PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 10:02 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Thanks Stuart! Pity it's too wide for my Lolalookalike body, but it may be useful to some of the lads.

PS: My fellow Americans, the 1303 was sold in the States as the SuperBeetle (an the winner is...MiataV8!)
But wait!
There's more!!!
Along with the recognition you will receive one quarter stick of ..................... [half used] butter!

PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 10:08 pm 

My buddies off road car used a windshield out of a Datsun 210 station wagon from I think 1972-ish. Still available at glass houses. Where I hear they don't throw any stones.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: December 7, 2012, 6:28 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

olrowdy_01 wrote:
JackMcCornack wrote:

But wait!
There's more!!!
Along with the recognition you will receive one quarter stick of ..................... [half used] butter!

YAY! Mold release agent!

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 10, 2012, 9:21 pm 
We are Slotus!

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
But wait! There's more!!!

YAY! Mold release agent!

Yep, just leave it sitting out on the counter and it'll be all moldy in no time! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 19, 2013, 4:27 am 

Latest picture of the Demo Mevster. ( See the link for the Bulid Blog http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/inde ... hread=3274 )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next