LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 19, 2013, 10:03 pm 

sonic7 wrote:
Latest picture of the Demo Mevster. ( See the link for the Bulid Blog http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/inde ... hread=3274 )

GonzoRacer, is that white stuff the "s n o w" you've been spreading rumors about?

PostPosted: January 20, 2013, 8:50 am 
We are Slotus!

olrowdy_01 wrote:
sonic7 wrote:
Latest picture of the Demo Mevster. ( See the link for the Bulid Blog http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/inde ... hread=3274 )

GonzoRacer, is that white stuff the "s n o w" you've been spreading rumors about?

Yo, Rowdy-
I think so, looks like it, best I recall. Stuff is cold as hell, too. I don't recommend driving around in it...
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 22, 2013, 1:45 am 

Stewart, If I'm remembering correctly, I recently saw a reference to Mills "something or other" being listed an importer (or exporter) of MEV products into the United States recently in a copy of Grassroots Motorsports. Should your status now officially be a vendor? In case you're not aware, when reviewing or discussing products that you're financially vested in or compensated for, there's a US law that requires you do disclose the existence of that financial relationship. Since this is "Locost USA", I would expect that disclosure from everyone participating on this site.

PostPosted: January 22, 2013, 2:49 am 

Stuart hardly hides his light under a bushel basket--he's quite frank about being the manufacturer/designer of MEV products and he posts as stiggymills. Nigel, who posts as Sonic7, is simply a huge fan of Stuart and his work. Nigel has stated numerous times on this and other Locost and kit car sites that he is -not- compensated by MEV or Stuart in any way.

I never knew there was a law requiring disclosure and I've known other vendors have had multiple undisclosed screen names so they could have conversations with themselves*, but I'm confident stiggymills and Sonic7 are different people and adequately disclosed.

PostPosted: January 22, 2013, 2:55 am 

My mistake then and I offer my apology! I hope no hard feeling were caused. With school back in session I'm probably being pulled in too many directions to keep all the players straight.

The law thing is fairly recent (2 years?) and if I remember correctly is focused on internet communications and product reviews. Again, sorry for adding confusion!

PostPosted: January 22, 2013, 4:09 pm 

I doubt there were hard feelings; I stepped in so Stuart and Nigel wouldn't feel the need to defend themselves--they've already had to defend promoting their non-Locost products on LocostUSA and the consensus has been that it's okay as long as it stays in Automotive Talk and is more informative than promotional.
erioshi wrote:
The law thing is fairly recent (2 years?) and if I remember correctly is focused on internet communications and product reviews.
I think any such law will be unenforceable--who ya gonna call, Interpol? It's still Buyer Beware on the World Wide Web, and one (of many) reason I focus on LocostUSA and stopped posting on the Yahoo Locost group is LocostUSA has build logs and it's pretty easy to tell who's for real.

Half a dozen years or so ago, the level of screenname fakery on the Yahoo group got to the level of downright silliness, like Screenname A trolling with a fake complaint against [manufacturer's name] and Screenname B and Screenname C exposing the lie and Screenname D theorizing that Screenname A is really a competitor trying to run down the [manufacturer's name]'s reputation and is behind the other complaints...it got to where a legitimate builder with a legitimate "I sent [manufacturer's name] [quantity of money] [number of months] ago, what's going on there?" question got flamed as a fake and a troll and an unscrupulous competitor of [manufacturer's name] by a variety of "I have no interest in [manufacturer's name] I'm merely a satisfied customer" mysterious screen names.

Chet kept that from happening in the early days of LocostUSA and now there are so many builders and build logs that it's real hard to fake it. If an unrecognized screen name pops up to say "I'm building a Locost but my next project will be one of those fabulous products from [FF/MEV/whatever] because..." nobody's going to take him seriously if he doesn't have a build log.

PostPosted: January 22, 2013, 5:28 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

JackMcCornack wrote:
...I've known other vendors have had multiple undisclosed screen names so they could have conversations with themselves...

I remember one incident several years ago with a self-complementry vendor; when called on it he was at first evasive, then changed faces into "oh that, I was just kidding." I always wanted to ask him what part about complimenting himself was he kidding about?

I still watch his website where he advertises his self-admitted fabulous car kit, as I'm curious whether such low antics ever pay off. I hope not.

PostPosted: January 23, 2013, 12:53 pm 

KB58 wrote:
JackMcCornack wrote:
...I've known other vendors have had multiple undisclosed screen names so they could have conversations with themselves...

I remember one incident several years ago with a self-complementry vendor; when called on it he was at first evasive, then changed faces into "oh that, I was just kidding." I always wanted to ask him what part about complimenting himself was he kidding about?

I still watch his website where he advertises his self-admitted fabulous car kit, as I'm curious whether such low antics ever pay off. I hope not.

//////////////////////////////////
Geez, what a world we live in.... The advent of the internet seems to bring the ugly side of humanity to the surface even in friendly environments such as this forum. Sad state of affairs.
When you really stop to ponder the "gift" of world wide, instantaneous communication for almost everyone with a battery or wall plug, you would like to think there is some sense of decorum, common sense, and courtesy to leave one's petty, greedy, self serving characteristics at the front door. I know, I know.... That's the way it is - suck it up and live with it. Still, it is nice to come in from the cold for just a little bit to meet and learn in friendship and common interests with the likes of JD, McCornack, et al... I'm richer for simply knowing these people exist out there that are kind, generous and part of the bright side of life!!
The common thread.... if there is one!? 30 weight for blood, the pure enjoyment of imagining and the pride of accomplishment, scratching the itch to create something with your own hands from disparate parts, bits n' pieces you see in your mind. As well, a life long curiosity of things mechanical. It's a great life
inspite of it all.

To close, thank you forum administrators, and fellow DNA deranged gearheads for the fellowship of the "open end wrench"! I'm proud to know ya and grateful there is a conscious effort to distill the dark side from the forum.

m

PostPosted: January 23, 2013, 1:07 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I think the bad side of people's nature is enabled by the anonymity of the Internet. I've seen some shockingly-angry posts by people commenting on news articles. Thankfully that sort of thing is rare here due to there being at least some level of responsibility - and traceability.

PostPosted: January 23, 2013, 1:48 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I think the bad side of people's nature is enabled by the anonymity of the Internet. I've seen some shockingly-angry posts by people commenting on news articles. Thankfully that sort of thing is rare here due to there being at least some level of responsibility - and traceability.

////////////////////////////////////

Agreed! Anonymity does seem to be the vessel of courage for cowards and the dark side of human nature.

PostPosted: February 10, 2013, 4:15 am 

For those with a sense of humor :lol:

Atrocious driving or what :oops:

nigel

PostPosted: February 10, 2013, 6:58 am 

Thank you for announcing to the world that you feel my driving is atrocious Nigel.
That gives me an excuse not to buy the drinks next time we meet!

PostPosted: February 10, 2013, 9:12 am 

stiggymills wrote:
Thank you for announcing to the world that you feel my driving is atrocious Nigel.
That gives me an excuse not to buy the drinks next time we meet!

I shan't worry, it's worth a beer just to know that even you "Stiggy" can have an off driving day. :D

nigel