LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Considering a Midget
PostPosted: November 22, 2013, 8:43 pm 
Always Moore!

I'll toss up some more pictures once I get more under way. The cage is going to be the first project since everything sort of relies on it.

cs3tcr wrote:
The levers pull the jet down to richen the mixture whilst using the choke.

GonzoRacer wrote:
The levers that drop the jets ARE the choke.

Well that makes a lot of sense now. At first I thought the floating piston with the needle was the choke then when I figured out its function I had no idea how the choke worked. Now it all makes sense. Its no Megasquirt but I could probably find a place in my heart for these carburetor thingies....

GonzoRacer wrote:
...Midgets are likely the same....

The choke cable is long gone. The only cable going from the cockpit to the carbs is for the throttle so no way to tell if it works. Currently the spring is all that holds the jets in the "up" position. I'll probably make some sort of linkage (or safety wire) to mechanically lock them in place.

cs3tcr wrote:
Check the rear hubs to see if they're the double bearing type, if not and its class legal, you might want to look into them. The halfshafts are the weak link in the rear end, and with a spool/lsd/locked diff, they wont last very long (unless it already has some uprated 'shafts).

I'll check it out. From reading the vintage rules, it seems like updating is pretty free. The spares pile included three OEM looking axles so I should be set for awhile. I'm planning on doing vintage so there will be 185/60R13 tires on all four corners so there should be less grip available than with slicks. Then again today's high performance street/track tires may be stickier than 60s and 70s slicks.

TooBusy wrote:
That looks like a pretty solid car from the pics so far. The spring hangers were notorious for rusting away, yours is probably better than the typical street car. Floor pans, sills, rockers, spring perches, aall are really not that difficult to replace should it get to that point. I draw the line on saving a Spridget at having to replace the A or B pillar.... just not worth that much of my time.

Nice find :cheers:

The funny thing is owner #2 bought this car as a parts car to support his vintage race Spridget that he is prepping. He had to replace the floors and do some other rust repair on his. Then he found this one after his was well under way and realized that finding this one first would have been the easy way out. Since it was clean he decided to sell it instead of using it for parts.

rx7locost wrote:
THE person to get them rebuilt is Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts in Madison WI. Go nowhere else.

Thanks Chuck - at $90/ front shock and $70/rear shock I don't think the price can be beat. I'll add that to my list.

PostPosted: May 29, 2017, 8:30 pm 
Always Moore!

These darn things multiply. Its only been 4 1/2 years since my original question - finally picked up a driver. Its needs some going over since its been sitting but the price and condition were right.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 30, 2017, 10:09 am 

Cool, another Midget. It looks like its a 74, if not a 73. Is it going to be another race car?

PostPosted: May 30, 2017, 10:31 am 

Ooooh Nice RWA car!

Toss a bugeye bonnet on it and have a bug with a boot.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: May 30, 2017, 3:56 pm 

Very nice. Great color. Looks like a '70 or '71 to me, but not sure if Midgets had the split bumper the same years as MGBs.

PostPosted: May 30, 2017, 6:09 pm 
Always Moore!

1972 - start of the RWAs! I like the color and it seems fitting on a 70s car.

I'm thinking street car at this point. It seems to be solid and I don't need another non-street legal vehicle or massive project right now (really need to get the Traveller finished). The first step is going to be getting the old gas out of the tank, losing the Webers for some SUs, and hopefully it'll be able to be driven. I'll probably do some new brake hoses, an oil change, and a few other small maintenance items while I'm at it.

The previous owner said it was stuck in 3rd (odd for these cars) but it seems to have popped out. We'll see if there is any 3rd gear. I have two more transmissions sitting on the shelf if needed.

PostPosted: May 31, 2017, 12:34 pm 

Looks like a great driver for you to me ! Fits the weather for Texas. Good Luck, Dave