LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 11:09 pm 

I was remembering a discussion about 8-10 years ago with a family friend. She really liked Fiats. Being an Italian car lover my self I asked her how she came down the Fiat path. First, she likes small cars so back then that ruled our 'Murican stuff. Started with Beetles since they were cool, hip and economical. Good cars right...Well most of the Beetle stories are well... through rose colored glasses as it were. She had a total of three. The first was new in the 60's. She went off a corner in the rain with snap oversteer ( she is a good driver)and totaled the car. She was injured but not too bad. The second one well.. had it for a few months.. Great gas mileage... never more than 25MPG usually 22. Brakes?? Who needs brakes? Still evil handling as she called it. The floor would flex when you mashed the brake.. and you had to.. At 30 K the motor needed to be completely rebuilt. Hey I changed the oil and took very good care of the car?? One hot summer day fuel backed up onto the engine and caught fire.. Special feature.. Hey they killed more people in car fires than any other. Being a glutton for punishment she got another Beetle. Used this time. Slow lane up the hills and pray going down. Will the engine last? There was a telltale faint knocking in the cylinders.
She drives by a Fiat dealer.. Hey I like that 128.... turns around test drives a 128. She looks at me and says it could ACTUALLY accelerate to highway speed... The brakes.. Guess what they REALLY stop the car. It won't try and throw you off the road around corners. In fact, it's quite a nice handling car. She bought the car on the spot and traded her Beetle.
Drove the for 100K before the motor needed any work, got over 30 mpg most of the time. Stopped when she wanted. Asked her if she wanted to buy another Beetle. No, they are cute, but they SUCK... I never owned one but did borrow one a lot and used a buddies Samba bus a few times. Had a Fiat 124 Sport at the time. Compared to the 124?? The Beetle is a rickety grocery cart.
Remember, I'm just recanting a story

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 8:58 am 

There has been at least one fiat in my family since I was very little. Both my parents came here from Sicily in the very early 60s. Currently my younger brother has a 124 spider. My dad usually had one or two of them. I drove a 131 before I had a license. If you change the timing belt regularly they're pretty care free. Although rust can be a problem. The 124 has probably the best convertible top of the roadsters out there. You can reach behind you and pull it up without getting out of your seat. Just my 2 cents. My dads tool box still has 2 tools he made to compress the valve spring and allow you to switch out the shims for the bucket type lifters. With a bit of care they'll last a long time.