LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 5:16 pm 

It's a 40yr old Ford that's taking up my garage space and all it needs is a fix for the tank sender/pickup.
Of course Ford isn't carrying it and wrecking yard only has other 40yr old parts.
As u can see from pic, what I need are substitutes for the round brass float the used to hang in the wire loop and for the plastic mesh filter that used to be on end of pickup tube.
Hmm, I know that some carb floats are plastic with a tab molded in.

Attachment:
IMG_0280 - Copy - Copy.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 5:40 pm 

O'reily Autoparts site shows sending units with float and filter sock for 40 yr old fords ($60). I've obtained just the filter and/or float individually from classic Mustang places but, it'd probably be a good idea to install a new sending unit while you've got the tank opened.

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 6:03 pm 

I have a Triumph sender with the float I am not using (just have to find it) that has a plastic float, it will look like

http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/fuel-t ... t-tr7-tr8/

Graham

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 6:30 pm 

We are DIYer's. It is easy to make a new one out of brass sheet and soldering up a new cylinder. But check the rheostat/potentiometer for smooth operation thru the range of motion 1st.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 8:38 pm 

1. <snip> the sound of the bottom of the clogged filter being cut off. Didn't need it anyway. Problem solved.
2. ping pong ball and the cage off of a champagne bottle. Second problem solved.

Next?

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 9:48 pm 

I know you can buy those floats up to a couple years ago. You can also buy 5/16" and 3/8" fuel screens that will push on the end of the tube. GM and Ford used them heavily.

I would definitely be testing the resistor to make sure it's working properly before spending any time/$ on it. They tend to die if left dry for a long time.

Cheers.

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 10:00 pm 

1930'S AND 1940'S Tillotson carbs used cork as the float. It might still work. It would appear to be alcohol resistant because it certainly works for Brandy and wines. Might try carving a large piece of cork.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 7, 2016, 2:51 am 

Board continues to impress with depth...
I'll try out some of the suggestions.
Should add that I'm in US, the unit shown is out of another old Ford from wrecking yard, the sending part of both units work, car is a US Granada that uses a side mount sender w/ dual pin elec. connection. It's not that the bare tube won't pickup so much as what else there may be in tank that it could pickup.
I took it for short drive when I got it started, but wanted to read fuel level + car uses relatively small filter screwed into carb. The car is in very good condition for it's age and I'm trying not to do any visible or irreversible hacking.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 7, 2016, 7:33 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Nice find! I have granada brakes on my 67 mustang.

I'm wondering what happened to the brass floats, which are easily repaired with solder. They were originally assembled with solder.

That in tank filter has very little surface area. Any trash in the tank would block it quickly. Add a large inline filter just before the mechanical pump on the engine. It will be much more effective than the in tank sock and the little screw in filter on the carb will last much longer.

You seem concerned about rust in the tank. Have the tank cleaned at your local radiator shop then coat the inside with a tank sealer. If you just have it cleaned but do not coat the inside, the water absorbed by the ethanol will get it rusting again shortly.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 7, 2016, 7:34 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
car uses relatively small filter screwed into carb
And as I have learned and re-learned on a few occasions, those things just LOVE to strip the threads out of the carb and leak like a sumbich... Be gentle, use some WD-40 or something, good luck.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 2:03 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
If you examine the fuel pump you'll probably find that it has a filter permanently mounted to it's bottom. Replacement pumps often do away with this feature. Granadas were the end of the Falcon/Mustang platform begun in 1960. The next era were Fox bodies and Ford decided to backpedal on the engines, going back to the 200 cid six instead of the taller and slightly longer 250 cid.