LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 10:45 pm 

Hi all,

I am still at information collecting stage of my building. I haven't decide which engine and transmission to go. I am exploring options.

I am just wondering, if it is necessary to buy a donor vehicle? Can I just decide what parts I need then buy used / refurbished / new ones online or just go to junk yards?

Things like steering racks, wheel hubs, front spindles are very inexpensive on popular cars. For example, a steering rack for honda civic is only about $60 brand new.

Can anyone educate me why you would need a donor vehicle? And how much money you should spend on a donor vehicle? maybe like $2000?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 9:51 pm 

You get tons of stuff you don't think about when you buy a donor vehicle, basically infinite bolts of any given size, all the accessories that they strip off when you buy used parts. Want a rubber muffler hanger? I know there's one in a box around here somewhere. I actually had a ton of fun stripping parts off of my donor seeing how the manufacturer put it all together. You get to see stuff run, you have a good idea of why a vehicle was scrapped. Plus if you want to spend the rest of your life selling parts on internet forums, you can basically get all the parts you actually want for free :?

Do you need one? probably not, but its not a bad idea.

Sam

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 10:30 pm 

Like Sam said, it's usually more cost effective. There have been numerous mentions on the forum of guys parting out their donor after harvesting the needed Locost parts, and actually turning a slight profit. Another plus for the single donor idea is that you have a pretty good idea that all the parts will actually work together. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 9:07 am 

I built my car from junkyard parts instead of a donor, so you don't need one, but I'm sure it makes things a lot simpler. I was also lucky in that we had several old vehicles around the farm that I could scavenge parts from too.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 9:51 am 

Mine is built from parts from a bunch of vehicles ...Toyota, Alfa, Miata, even some Lotus bits. If I ever do another 7, it will be for sure a one donor vehicle build. Cheaper and easier. I would have saved so much time.

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 10:01 am 

I'm in agreement with what everyone else is saying.

I built mine without a donor, if I ever built another car this would not be the case. Another aspect that may be helpful is when titling the car. If you have a donor there is a lot less justification and possibly tax saving when proving where did this pile of parts come from that now makes a car.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 11:33 am 

Well.... like everything else, it depends. Certainly a donor is cheaper. But beyond that, if you choose to use a single donor, a lot of "choices" are made for you. Things you don't have to decide on; Like the best ratio T-5 transmission, or what brake calipers and rotors to use, or this or that, and, and..... Every part needs some analysis. You get my point. A single donor does make some of the design part of the build easier. All you have to do is figure out how to package the parts in front of you. I'm pretty certain it is a quicker way to build. There will still be enough 'njunearring to be done either way.

If you are looking to end up with a street car, then a single donor is a great way to get there cheaper and quicker than buying individual parts. You will not get to push the car to its limits legally on the road. If you are looking for a "nationals" capable car, then agonizing over optimizing every last detail will be your future.

I used a single donor and probably would still be building if I chose the non-donor path.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 3:56 pm 

I went with the "non-donor" option. It IS slower, and it IS more expensive (although, surprisingly, it's still not that bad). One of my issues was that the "usual" donors (Miatas, for example) are extremely expensive around these parts (cheapest I found for a *seriously* wrecked Miata, when I was looking, was around $6K - the engine was probably dead anyway, as the front ancillaries were all crushed).

One of the advantages of the non-donor route is...you don't have to compromise. You're not "forced" into using parts that came on your donor (particularly those parts that are a long way from suitable, but you already have them, so...). This doesn't mean you have to buy new, off the shelf, expensive stuff - far from it. It just means you have to do more research, spook around wrecking yards & used parts places, etc., but you CAN find precisely the parts that will work the way you want, without compromising your design.

I realize this method is more complex, marginally more expensive, a little more time-consuming, and definitely not for everyone. BUT - don't discount it out of hand, either.

Every single time I work on my build, I thank my lucky stars that I chose the path I did. I have NEVER regretted going without a donor. My build is turning out to be exactly what I'd dreamed it would be, rather than a facsimile fraught with compromises I know I'd never be happy with.

All I'm saying is, consider the path carefully, figure out what your chosen use for the car will be, decide if you can live with compromise, and whichever path you choose...have fun!! :cheers:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 7:14 pm 

Not necessary, but it sure does make it easier. When I built TETANUS I picked up an old Toyota. The kit I bought came with a Ford front and rear end, so I didn't need the spindles and brakes, but I ended up using the following in my build

Engine
trans
driveshaft
pedals
brake master cylinders and proportioning valves
seat rails
parking brake lever
assorted wiring bits
battery tray

probably some other stuff that I've forgotten as well. I picked up the car for less than I would have paid for a motor at the picking yard

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 10:20 pm 

Depends on what you're trying to build. If you just want a low-dollar car to cruise around in: A donor car is a very good idea (especially if it supplies the majority of what you need). If you want something that has lots of new, or performance, components then there is no need. I didn't use a donor car for mine and just bought what I needed. It allows you to optimize more things, but at a cost. If possible, try to get as many of the engine parts with it though. Brackets, alternator, harness, ecu, cluster, etc will cost more buying individually.

Cheers.

PostPosted: July 22, 2016, 8:03 am 

C10CoryM wrote:
If possible, try to get as many of the engine parts with it though. Brackets, alternator, harness, ecu, cluster, etc will cost more buying individually.

Cheers.

Get the whole lump, mounts, front half of the driveshaft, starter, clutch slave, exhaust stub, air cleaner, matching set of pulleys and accys, throttle cable, any supporting hardware for EFI (fuel line stubs), etc.
Even a bent up header has value! You can use the flange and the collector to build a new one.

Plan Plan Plan, measure twice cut once.......