LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 12:18 am 

I've been looking for a simple car I can work on with the boy (he's 16) that we could use for racing/street and the 7s look like they might be a good buy. I was originally thinking a t-bucket would be good but these look like you could road race them too. The kit wants to try racing so something that is good for drag and maybe some road/autoX would be a good idea.

I'm in Canada so I would need to find a car that is at least 15 years old from the US or already registered in Canada. I was thinking an older car that isn't minty would be good so we can beat on it a bit without a lot of stress. We don't have a dedicated shop so building from scratch isn't an option.

Some newb questions:
If I got an older car would swapping in an LS be possible or does that require a special chassis?
Anything I should look for in and older 7?

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 9:15 am 

Where in Canada?

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 9:35 am 

Winnipeg.

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 9:36 am 

I see you're in Rosser. Have you been able to register one here?

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 9:57 am 

You should look at the 7's that are finished then.

And have someone with a racing background help you choose. Don't get in a hurry, be prepared to travel if needed.

I'd start looking at autocross events for cars that are for sale and also what works in a class you can realistically compete in.

Don't buy a car and show up at an autocross and expect to do well.

Autocross class rules are very specific and one spec'd item may put you in a class you have no hope in.

For instance a 7 with a V8, a true 7 has a 4 cylinder, you can always add boost.

I would be very leery of any homebuilt 7 as to be driven in anger certain geometry and structural considerations are necessary.
You could easily purchase something that looks very nice but is next to impossible to hustle around a course or worse yet breaks.

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 10:41 am 

Bent Wrench wrote:
You should look at the 7's that are finished then.

And have someone with a racing background help you choose. Don't get in a hurry, be prepared to travel if needed.

I'd start looking at autocross events for cars that are for sale and also what works in a class you can realistically compete in.

Don't buy a car and show up at an autocross and expect to do well.

Autocross class rules are very specific and one spec'd item may put you in a class you have no hope in.

For instance a 7 with a V8, a true 7 has a 4 cylinder, you can always add boost.

I would be very leery of any homebuilt 7 as to be driven in anger certain geometry and structural considerations are necessary.
You could easily purchase something that looks very nice but is next to impossible to hustle around a course or worse yet breaks.

Hah I'm hoping for something that works but doesn't look all that great :shock:

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 11:31 am 

One thing to consider when deciding your parameters is that the extreme light weight changes everything HP-wise. My friend has a 1300 lb. Locost with 220 HP at the wheels from a built Duratech 2.3. In the hot rod world 220 HP is laughable. But wait. 220 at the wheels is roughly 250 at the crank, which gives him 5.2 lbs/HP. The 2016 Mustang GT has a ratio of 8.5 to 1.

A V-8 is a lovely thing, but you can rule the streets with a lot less.

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 11:38 am 

kreb wrote:
One thing to consider when deciding your parameters is that the extreme light weight changes everything HP-wise. My friend has a 1300 lb. Locost with 220 HP at the wheels from a built Duratech 2.3. In the hot rod world 220 HP is laughable. But wait. 220 at the wheels is roughly 250 at the crank, which gives him 5.2 lbs/HP. The 2016 Mustang GT has a ratio of 8.5 to 1.

A V-8 is a lovely thing, but you can rule the streets with a lot less.

Yea I totally agree! I'm thinking a Locost would be good to start the kid out with a 4cyl and when he gets bored of it I can take it over and build a hot rod. :mrgreen: I've always wanted a T-bucket and a Cobra so this is kind of a happy medium.

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 5:29 pm 

As a dad, I'd say that as long as you can keep him building stuff and away from staring at screens, you're way ahead! A Locost is a great learning experience in that you end up pretty well knowing every nut and bolt on the thing, and have worked on every element - chassis, electrical, mechanical, fuel, suspension, et cetera. It's the ultimate lego set.

It's also real exposed - like a four-wheeled motorcycle. So if he tires of it, it won't likely be boredom, rather wanting a warm, cozy seat for his girlfriend without wind always blowing through their hair. But then you can have it!

PostPosted: December 23, 2016, 12:55 am 

Try http://www.racing.ca/?section=view_post ... eport%20Ad

Make him a lowball offer....the car has been for sale for quite a while.