LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 5, 2017, 1:10 pm 

Here is a wide-ranging, but very interesting, speculative, article on the Corvette's future over the next few years from Autoblog.

Corvette developments? ==> http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/05/2018 ... Redirect=1

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 10, 2017, 3:48 pm 

Seems like all the "performance" cars are switching to hybrid :| they need to just skip the bloat and go all electric. Maybe it will make for a good e motor donor in the future tho :)

My understanding is most manufacturers have been holding on to those old motor designs because they aren't financially smart enough to make the jump. The new tech exists but the cost of retooling giant multi million dollar machines for a better long term product, doesn't outweigh the "need"/massive cost to constantly revamp body styles every year :roll:

I had a discussion with a guy at an r&d company that was contracted to come up with a cvt transmission for one of the big 3s trucks. The plan was to increase mpg of the truck by 15% or something like that. The design was made but the company just increased the full capacity of the truck. This gave the customer the feeling of less stops and more efficiency and that was enough :wink:

PostPosted: May 10, 2017, 9:16 pm 

Thanks for reminding me, need to put in my will that even after death I will never ride in an electric car! :ack: :evil:
Not that the automakers care as they have already ensured that none of their products appeal to me, and I do mean NONE!

I think the real resistance to going electric is that the tech is not yet mature. (Hopefully dies out first!)
And that if it were mature the replacement cycle would stretch to the point that the companies would have to shrink or go under due to lack of sales.

I just bought a block for my next SBC hot-rod engine build, :ack: to electric cars!

Last edited by RichardSIA on May 10, 2017, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 10, 2017, 9:43 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
I think the real resistance to going electric...
Nah, the real resistance is voltage divided by amps.

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 12:00 am 

Not really Corvette related specifically, but what gets me about electric cars is that the most vocal advocates for electric cars seem to also be the most vocal opponents to any new hydro electric dams or any other kind of power plants. Where do they think the electricity to peer all the new electric cars will come from beyond a handy outlet on the wall? If I had a more normal job and commute where I could park my vehicle in front of a building for 8 hours a day, you bet I'd have an electric car for a commuter.
Kristian

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 12:15 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
Not really Corvette related specifically, but what gets me about electric cars is that the most vocal advocates for electric cars seem to also be the most vocal opponents to any new hydro electric dams or any other kind of power plants. Where do they think the electricity to peer all the new electric cars will come from beyond a handy outlet on the wall? If I had a more normal job and commute where I could park my vehicle in front of a building for 8 hours a day, you bet I'd have an electric car for a commuter.
Kristian

In their fantasy land of Unicorns and plenty solar and wind power are all we need, with a bit of geothermal for night supply. :roll:
These are the same people who not only block new dam construction but actually want to remove existing dams. :BH:
They are also chasing the coal plants that really power their cars out of business via dishonest environmental claims.
And having FITS that some states are now looking into making them pay their share to use the roads, instead of getting a free ride on the backs of IC engine users!

Many years ago I happily helped hobbyist to build and enhance their electric cars.
Then it became another way for certain people to grab power and public funds, I now despise the entire industry. :boxing:

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 11:35 am 

@turbo_bird

Actually, Kristian, I'm with you on the local commuter idea. If my life was such that I only did local things, I would definitely consider a small electric car like a Nissan Leaf, or Kia or Fiat electric. With our lifestyle, it would not work as a primary vehicle, but for local stuff it would be fine.

I'm not ready to give up my Locost yet, or go without having a truck or van. That would be giving up too much for me at this point in my life. Now in 10-15 years, it might be a good fit. In the mean time, I'll continue to use vehicles powered by small, synchronized explosions for their high utility value. :mrgreen:

@everyone
On a positive note, If you follow the WEC racing series as I do, you'll know that all the top cars from Porsche, Toyota, etc. are now all hybrids. Why? Because they are scary fast, that's why. If you've watched how these cars get pulled through the corners, and how quickly they accelerate out of the turns, you'll be excited about the possibility of a hybrid Corvette, should it go that way in the future.

As "Proof of the Pudding", here's a little 2.0L Porsche hybrid versus a large displacement Audi turbo diesel film clip for you ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clZOMYjaGt8

The film clip is from 2-3 years ago. The hybrids are noticeably faster now than they were back then.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 6:26 pm 

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/0 ... -electric/

Fastest car period around nurburgring :cheers:

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 7:10 pm 

:lol: Yah, for very few laps. :roll:
I did enjoy the Tesla fail reference. :wink:

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 8:51 pm 

So what is the exact number of laps that you require to set the record?

Someone get the Germans on the phone so we can get this laps business fixed :BH: :P

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 9:13 pm 

How long is the course?
Historically, how many laps for an actual race?
Just not impressed by an unlimited budget one-lap wonder, or any electric car in general.

Given the same resources I'm certain this record could be broken by many companies.
And it will be broken, I'm rooting for an IC engine even if it runs on propane, methane, or pure nitro!

This reminds me of the Ferrari - Ford LeMans battle, Ford eventually won.
But they outspent Ferrari by a huge margin, were a MUCH larger company with vastly greater resources, and got out of the game right away after their "Win".

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 11:43 pm 

On these new electric cars you really have to read the fine print or listen carefully. i was listening to a commercial for one a while ago. On the radio I think, but anyway they gave the distance that a full charge would take you. Ok that was about 200-250 if I recall. Or about 4 hrs driving time at freeway speeds. But to fully recharge then it would take you another 8 hrs. 12 Hrs to go 250 miles? Hope you don't need to be on the other coast anytime soon LOL Wonder what the boss would say? Dive 4 hrs & take an 8 hr nap before traveling on LOL

PostPosted: May 15, 2017, 1:05 am 

Mike S wrote:
On these new electric cars you really have to read the fine print or listen carefully. i was listening to a commercial for one a while ago. On the radio I think, but anyway they gave the distance that a full charge would take you. Ok that was about 200-250 if I recall. Or about 4 hrs driving time at freeway speeds. But to fully recharge then it would take you another 8 hrs. 12 Hrs to go 250 miles? Hope you don't need to be on the other coast anytime soon LOL Wonder what the boss would say? Dive 4 hrs & take an 8 hr nap before traveling on LOL

I'm not a big promoter of hybrid or electric vehicles. They do have a ways to go for a "small explosions" fellow like me. However, they are more practical than you think, Mike.

My across-the-street neighbor bought the first year Prius (model year?). He is a sales guy and travels all over Southern California. It worked very reliably for him and saved him a world of money, besides giving him complete access to the HOV lanes throughout California, even with 1 person in the car. Six months ago he bought the second generation Chevy Volt. He likes it even better than the Prius.

Seven or eight months ago, his wife just bought a Fiat 500 Electric. She works locally (about 7-8 miles) and drives it 5-6 days a week depending on her work schedule. Her payment on the new Fiat and electricity for it is less that the monthly gasoline costs for her former mid-sized sedan. She loves it too. She drives on the freeway as well.

They had a dedicated charging circuit and some special gear installed in their garage that reduces their charging time significantly. I don't know a thing about the technical details of it , but they got a rebate from the local electric utility company for doing it and that reduced the costs for the gear substantially.

Honestly, I think in 10-15 years, most of us will be buying hybrids or electrics. They are advancing very quickly now.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 15, 2017, 6:58 pm 

I am told that there are a lot of hybrid Camrys in taxi service in Vancouver, apparently because the associated regenerative braking vastly reduces brake-related maintenance costs in stop and go driving ...

An acquaintance in San Diego runs two cars - a crossover for general use and a leaf for around-town errands.

PostPosted: May 15, 2017, 10:06 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
How long is the course?
Historically, how many laps for an actual race?
Just not impressed by an unlimited budget one-lap wonder, or any electric car in general.

Given the same resources I'm certain this record could be broken by many companies.
And it will be broken, I'm rooting for an IC engine even if it runs on propane, methane, or pure nitro!

This reminds me of the Ferrari - Ford LeMans battle, Ford eventually won.
But they outspent Ferrari by a huge margin, were a MUCH larger company with vastly greater resources, and got out of the game right away after their "Win".

I get where you are coming from (I vote diesel) it's still fun to poke fun 8) Every design has merits but electrics are finally on the cusp of making history as the ice is just starting to phase out. There is a lot of performance potential in electric motors, super torquey almost never wear out ( think millions of miles instead of a few hundred thousand or a few hundred in a race car).

The course is something ridiculously long like 12 miles. Its a big part as to why there are limited laps. Its also the battery tech, batteries are the heaviest part of an e car. It may be made up of many small cells ( like in a laptop). So using the least batteries can have a big pay off. The owners probably don't want to break their expensive toy I can imagine too :roll:
Here is an interesting lap of the track to give an idea of part of why it's limited laps
https://youtu.be/i5kwkTipAgI

Watch jay lenos take on electric motorcycles, it might give you some second thoughts. If nothing else the Prius hybrids show us that they are the cheapest to maintain lowest maintenance cars on the road. They are completely soul less to drive but give us more money and time for the project car (instead of fixing the wife's pt cruiser or whatever ). Frieght trains are diesel electric hybrids too, long before the prius showed up. Hybrids are practical if nothing else.

As far as ev cars as commuters that is all they are good until the battery systems take off. But they have more than the average commuters need on a daily basis. I know I couldn't use one for work ( wish I could just spent 48$ in gas today as a taxi driver.12hrs 200 miles+ a day will mean Ill get stranded somewhere) but a lot of people could use them. These are people that fly on trips out of state and rent cars or whatever.