LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 9:34 am 

davew wrote:
There is only one small problem. By 2040 and everybody is carrying around a hunderd pound battery. We will run out of the current known world sources of lithium. Of which China has 80% of :oops: Then I guess we will have to go to plan "B". Dave W

The operative word here is "known". I'm sure the same argument was put forth about copper during the electrification of the planet. When you don't look for something, you never find it.

Bill

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 10:10 am 

I repeat:

Lonnie-S wrote:
. . . electrics are going to dominate the future. While we haven't clearly identified the future problems they will produce, what they promise to solve is significant. . . .

We've all been around long enough there is, "no free lunch."

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 1:41 pm 

Trying not to stray too far off the original topic but!
1. Bloomberg is not an unbiased source. A single article from them is not definitive.
2. "Solar" is very DEPENDENT on fossil fuels to run the generators required on cloudy days or heavy load days in order to meet their contracted demand.
3. They ALSO require significant amounts of fossil fuels to keep them at operating temperature, preventing their destruction.
There is much more to a solar plant then the shiny objects visible for miles.
4. Wind farms have the same issues but even more so, as the big wind turbines have to be POWERED FROM THE GRID or on-site FOSSIL FUEL generators when there is insufficient wind.
In most places the wind dies down at night.
Several governments have now done the math and wind/solar are losing their subsidies as they do not work so well in the real world as their backer$ had claimed.
5. This is well illustrated right here in Nevada as TESLA was granted a special dispensation and low rate to use way above average grid power to sustain operations when their vaunted solar power is insufficient.
To rub salt into that wound the rest of us got a rate increase to pay for it!
All this for a company that claims they "Have the answer" via their "EV's" and "Power wall" but cannot actually self power themselves using solar, in a desert with sunshine nearly every day!

I do not usually bookmark every article I find but could begin doing so regards underperforming solar plants, I do recall that there are numerous issues with that big So-Cal plant.
Not only does it not work as well as claimed, it's also the countries largest bird fryer, with a Fed. exemption for killing so many endangered species.
I think there are some investigations underway there as well as their being virtually bankrupt, so of course demanding even MORE subsidies.
But solar is the cheapest power. :roll:

EV's run on COAL, Hydro, Diesel, Propane/Natural Gas, Geothermal, solar is only a fractional percent of their source power.
And let us not forget the power transmission losses, charging inefficiency, and hours slow rate of "Refilling the tank".

Solar and EV's are dead end scams that are not going to "Save" anyone, or the planet, just transfer wealth to their backer$ and more power to Gov.Org.

EOR

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 8:01 pm 

davew wrote:
There is only one small problem. By 2040 and everybody is carrying around a hundred pound battery. We will run out of the current known world sources of lithium.

An investor friend of mine is getting into lithium stocks. Making a ton of money on it.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 8:40 pm 

Unless there has been a very recent change the ONLY U.S. Lithium mine is at Silverpeak, NV.
I've been there, the town is so small it only has ONE bar!
During the day it has a population working the "Mine" which is actually a series of ponds that concentrate the lithium before processing.
At night the population was six after the bar closes, one is the bar owner and I'm guessing at least one of them is the night watchman.
There have been rumors of two more Lithium mines opening in Nevada and one in Utah or Idaho for a long time.

I would not invest in Lithium for too long, if the universities ever perfect slow-discharge capacitors EV's will suddenly become more practical and Lithium worthless.
Then we get to chase whatever mineral is required for the capacitors. :roll:
From my most recent reading that may be Graphene, which is made, not mined.