LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 15, 2018, 10:00 pm 

I purchased a new-to-me 2015 Ford Escape just before the new year. It came with a lot of bells and whistles. It has, what was called at the time, MyFordTouch 8" touch screen. However well equipped my car is, it did not come with the Navigation option. The "system" is Microsoft based and has been behind the state of the art for auto makers for some time. Ford has since left Microsoft and moved on to Sync 3. I could upgrade to the current technology, "Sync 3", for a few hundred $$ and a lot of programming, or ~ $1,500 for a full Sync 3 upgrade kit form 3rd party suppliers. Ford does not have a factory "upgrade" to Sync 3. They'd like you to buy a totally new car. From what I can tell, no further upgrades for MyFordTouch are coming.

Like I said earlier, my car did not come with Navigation, however poor it might have been. However, there are workarounds. Today, With the help from the internet, I went thru the OBDII port and changed one bit in the Ford firmware that now "allows" the system to have navigation. I also found the instructions on how to upload the actual navigation software, also found on the internet.

I purchased the latest Ford Map SD card on eBay which are plugged in to the car. I now have functioning built-in Navigation. It is not as good as my TomTom nor Google maps, both which have live road conditions.

There are a lot of other options on late model Fords that can be read and selected by using the piece of software I used called Forscan. It talks thru an inexpensive OBDII reader plugged into the OBDII port.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find the address for turning on DRL's, a function that Ford did not feel was necessary in the Good Ol' USA. They do need it for Canada and allow it to be turned on for Fleet buyers. The addresses for this function that are reported on the internet are not valid in my Escape.

I am amazed at how much support there is out there for mod'ing these rolling computers.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 15, 2018, 11:58 pm 

Chuck,
You may find something on these two pages:
http://www.fordescape.org/forum/351034-post16.html
http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ford-escape-general-discussion/11770-ford-policy-re-drl-us-consumers-4.html. Look about half way down the page

You will have to sign in to see the diagrams. Happy hunting.
Walt

PostPosted: February 16, 2018, 12:16 pm 

Walt, Thanks for the links. I don't care to rewire for a mod, even though I am perfectly capable of doing so. I want to keep it "stock"(ish).

I have done a fair amount of research on the DRL and not yet found the magic. Ford did have DRL's on some versions so I'm fairly certain that it require some digtal "switch" to activate it. My Owner's Manual says there are 2 versions off DRLs (if equipped) one is not user changeable (I assume for Canada) and another is user switchable (again, if equipped).

I'll try to find the VIN of a Canadian 2015 Escape Titanium and I should be able to download the programming data from Ford. Then I can compare mine against theirs.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 19, 2018, 6:43 am 

That's pretty cool that you were able to turn on the navigation feature. I have one of the Bluetooth OBDII units and found out I have the outside temperature sensor on my truck, even though it doesn't show up on the dash. I haven't tried to do any programming though.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 1, 2018, 3:16 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
That's pretty cool that you were able to turn on the navigation feature. I have one of the Bluetooth OBDII units and found out I have the outside temperature sensor on my truck, even though it doesn't show up on the dash. I haven't tried to do any programming though.
Kristian

Interesting. So implicit question is: "why was it there?" Well, might be used for rad fan turn on settings, or as a back check for engine intake air temps. Probably even more likely to do with HVAC auto settings.

Mazda use exterior temp as a factor in how they switch on AWD. If there's a chance of snow or ice, the AWD system is iether locked on or super super primed ready to come on with a fraction of a wheel rotation of slippage. I work for a Mazda dealer and I actually haven't researched if other brands do this.

PostPosted: April 4, 2018, 8:48 pm 

iadr wrote:
turbo_bird wrote:
Kristian

Interesting. So implicit question is: "why was it there?" Well, might be used for rad fan turn on settings, or as a back check for engine intake air temps. Probably even more likely to do with HVAC auto settings.

Mazda use exterior temp as a factor in how they switch on AWD. If there's a chance of snow or ice, the AWD system is iether locked on or super super primed ready to come on with a fraction of a wheel rotation of slippage. I work for a Mazda dealer and I actually haven't researched if other brands do this.

I doubt it. Belt drive fan with an internal clutch and thermostat, no traction control or AWD to engage. I bet it's just an example of using all the same wiring and sensors for every trim level and only enabling stuff that you pay extra for. Like vehicles with manual seats that have the wire harness under the seats for power seats.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 4, 2018, 10:49 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:

I doubt it. Belt drive fan with an internal clutch and thermostat, no traction control or AWD to engage. I bet it's just an example of using all the same wiring and sensors for every trim level and only enabling stuff that you pay extra for. Like vehicles with manual seats that have the wire harness under the seats for power seats.
Kristian[/quote]

My experience is what you cite is a myth. (dealership parts person... and manager now the last 12-13 years)