LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 22, 2018, 6:37 pm 

Hi Chuck,

Bone stock, runs great. I did replace the steering rack, but all the other parts i bought for it--complete cooling system, brakes, suspension rebuild kits--still in boxes.

My first car was a 1960 MGA, and a Fiberfab Jamaican was a dream of mine back then. Moved on to MGBs, then RX-7s to Miatas (with an odd Ford or Mitsubishi thrown in), but when I first heard of Locosts, I knew mine would be MG based. Then, hanging around MG people with the Locost got me back to wanting a GT.
Attachment:
GT.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 7:55 am 

So I just missed out on a 73 running driving BGT for $900 this past week. It popped up on Craigslist and I was texting before my brain could catch up and stop my fingers.

Anyway, less than an hour after the ad was posted I was second in line. I got pics of the car, rockers looked good, doglegs had been replaced, floor pans were "good-ish". Honestly floor pans were better than any convertible I've ever touched and WAAAAAY better than my "rust free" Mini from a couple of years ago...

I told the guy I could be there with cash and a trailer in an hour, but he wouldn't bump me up to the number one spot. Texted me the next day that the car was gone.

Guess it's for the best. Wifey Dearest would probably break my neck if I bought a project during the house remodel.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 11:40 am 

Nick, You have a nice looking GT there. If mine turns out as nice, I'll be happy.

Tommy, That sounds like a great deal if the car actually is what it look like and the work was done well. I think that I'll have that much in steel panels alone by the time I get done.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 12:54 pm 

you will. I spent close to $1000 on patch panels 15 years ago on my 70 MGB
Dog legs, outer rockers, left and right front floor patches and a lower valance.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 4:07 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Once in a while a decent example pops up locally. I had an '80 about five years ago, should never have let it go. Ran pretty good for a poorly maintained 'B. Wife has an inordinate fear of riding in any cloth topped car with me...... I think a Spitfire may have something to do with that.

PostPosted: July 28, 2018, 9:30 pm 

Yesterday was D-day (drive day) My friend and I took off at 7AM to do the deed; buy and tow home the GT. It was supposed to be a 5-6 hr trip each way. We got within an hour of our destination when traffic came to a crawl. We crawled about 20 minutes making about 1 mile. Then everything stopped for about an hour. There was an accident on the highway in a construction area. When it finally started moving, we could see that someone rear ended a LEO, bounced off him and then into a barricade on the rear of one of the construction vehicles. They had to cut off the roof to extract the driver. They brought in a helicopter (landed on the road) to transport the driver to the hospital. He later died.

http://www.lcbcradio.com/news/state/mot ... 5f600.html

Then, the front edge of the fender on the Uhaul dolly decided to tear off. Luckily, I had packed a new roll of racing tape, among other things, just for such purposes. We finally made it to the seller's about 3PM, transferred some cash, signed some papers, loaded the car and off we went. The trip back home was eventless. We got back, pulled into the driveway, shut off the car and went right to bed. It was about 11:45PM.

Got to get a good look at this project today. Not too bad. Nothing indicating I got taken. How could I with only 300 invested? Floorboards have been replaced at some time in the past. They are still in fairly goo nick. So are the inside part of the sills. I know that some, if not all f it will have to be replaced. I'm definitely going to have to "de-teenage girl" this car. I can't spend too much time on this until I finish the Truckster! Until then, she patiently waits her turn.
Attachment:
new home.JPG

Attachment:
motorcycles.JPG

Attachment:
seats.JPG

Attachment:
windshield.JPG

Attachment:
gas cap.JPG

Attachment:
parts.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 28, 2018, 11:57 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I'm definitely going to have to "de-teenage girl" this car.

I dunno Chuck, maybe keep it, pink is a passive color, keep you calm during the angry parts of the build :rofl: :rofl:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 3, 2018, 10:57 am 

Why does this happen to me?

I was looking around for parts for my '69 and found a '73 MGB-GT parts car on Facebook Marketplace for $150. It is more complete than the one I have. A single front fender in repairable condition is ~ 200 ea. I need both. Not to mention a lot of trim I need is NLA. Soooooo…….I now own 2 MGB-GT's. :BH: :BH: :BH: :BH: :BH: I plan to strip out the parts I can use, and part out the parts that might sell, then sell the rest to the recycler.

I now need to get it from the Peoria, IL area up to the Chicago 'burbs. My problem is that my tow vehicle is only capable of towing 3500 lbs and I have no e-brake controller. So U-haul renting is out of the question.

Anyone in the area willing to help a buddy out?

PostPosted: September 3, 2018, 2:00 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

When I rent a dolly, I always put Ford Model T, since that is the closest thing in my mind to what i may be towing, and i surely would tow a model T if I found one on the shoulder along the way to my destination. I usually tow with my 1983 short bed 5.0L v8 ranger with a c4 automatic so pulling and trans failure are never issues. I just have to ensure I drive like a reasonable person.

When i was a line mech for Airtran in ATL, there was a woman who performed sheetmetal work under the concourse (we had no hangar when i was there). She told stories of driving her mg with a sticker on the back that said "If you can beat me, you can eat me". Classic two bird-one stone scenario? Seems relevant to your unteenagegirlification process. :boxing: :cheers: :shock: :roll:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 4, 2018, 10:29 am 

MGB-GT is in the U-haul data base and is acceptable to tow with a dolly my tow vehicle. SO that won't be a problem. I did it a month ago with my 1st GT. It is the bigger car hauler that is too heavy. I guess I didn't make that point as clearly as I thought in my last post. I expected to have a non-rolling vehicle and needed a flat tow trailer, not a dolly. I just talked to the seller and he will try to get the car rolling and have the driveshaft dropped before I get there. A Dolly will work just fine for that. Nice guy!

Stick around MV8. Your always welcome on my threads. :cheers:

PostPosted: September 4, 2018, 10:39 am 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things in my own mind, Chuck. But after reading about how much better the 2nd GT is versus the first, and assuming there is some kind of paperwork issue with the 2nd GT (like no title), I'm thinking I'd be looking at a practical way of saving myself a lot of time and trouble.
Attachment:
MGB-GT Plate.jpg

Is my thinking wrong here?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 4, 2018, 11:56 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Maybe I'm oversimplifying things in my own mind, Chuck. But after reading about how much better the 2nd GT is versus the first, and assuming there is some kind of paperwork issue with the 2nd GT (like no title), I'm thinking I'd be looking at a practical way of saving myself a lot of time and trouble.
Attachment:
MGB-GT Plate.jpg

Is my thinking wrong here?

Cheers,

Well there is a small snafu on the 2nd car's paperwork. Not something that can't be worked out if necessary. It might be an option. I'd have to look at them both, side by side. That will be in 2 weeks.

BTW, that doesn't look like a factory VIN for an MGB GT, It should be stamped "GHDxU/xxxxxx". Is it yours? My VIN plate is held on with screws. They look to be factory original.

PostPosted: September 4, 2018, 3:31 pm 
We are Slotus!

VIN tags were held on with rivets.

JD "GHN5UB22219G" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 4, 2018, 5:50 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

rx7locost wrote:
Stick around MV8. Your always welcome on my threads. :cheers:

Thanks!

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 4, 2018, 7:42 pm 

@rx7locost
I got that image off the Internet, Chuck. I thought my MGB had a very simple plate, but wanted to verify that before sounding off.

I'd love to have an MGB GT, but alas, have no room for another car.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886