LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: November 28, 2010, 8:02 pm 

The car is powered by a Honda CBR929rr engine.S10 3.42 Diff, Fiero spindles and rack (shortened). Two driveshafts with an electric reverse at the midpoint. After 4.5 years building, it was licensed in August. It's been a lot of fun building and even more fun driving it.
Attachment:
IMG_1754-1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 29, 2010, 2:10 am 
Always Moore!

Great looking project Clayton. Any more pics?

(you have also convinced me to paint my windshield frame black - it looks much more finished than the typical bare aluminum)

PostPosted: November 29, 2010, 2:17 am 

Here is another view
Attachment:
P1010070.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 29, 2010, 10:30 am 

Sharp looking build! I must go like a scalded cat!! :twisted: :cheers:

PostPosted: November 29, 2010, 10:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Great looking car!!! I especially like the trick heat shield with the "7" in it and the front fenders. Are the fenders carbon-fiber? Where from?

Good work! Any more pics you'd like to show off? We'd like to see 'em!
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 29, 2010, 1:35 pm 

Yes Wainair it can be terrifying for the passenger my wife has told me, although I'm not satisfied with the tuning yet and I think there is more midrange but I need to install a wide band sensor to see where the tuning is. The front wings are Carbon fiber,from Carbonmods in the UK. They were 161 Pounds, not cheep but they are very good quality. I attached them to the struts with 2 part auto structural adhesive.The heat shield is a piece of chemical pipe from a local pulp mill. I'll attach more views. Thanks for your comments.
Attachment:
P1010073_2.JPG
Attachment:
P1010069.JPG
Attachment:
P1010011_3_2.JPG
Attachment:
P1010012_2.JPG

PostPosted: November 30, 2010, 8:59 am 

Wow, that is beautiful!!! That is a real show stopper. Where are you located? Looks like a Canada license???? Russ

PostPosted: November 30, 2010, 11:05 am 

Beautiful build! I recently had my fiberglass parts painted, and now they look so good I want to polish my aluminum body panels before re-installing the other parts. How did you get the high polish look on your aluminum panels?

I would love to duplicate that look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

PostPosted: November 30, 2010, 12:48 pm 

Thanks for your comments I'm located in Beautiful Nelson BC. The Aluminum panels were polished prior to installing them on the car. I did this to prevent any problems with the heat buildup and the process does build up heat. Then once they were installed I touched them up. I used a Variable speed 7 inch polisher with a wool Bonnet and a Cyclo Polisher with 2 grades of Nuvite compound F7 and S.This is a system used on aircraft but can be applied to any aluminum.Check out the Perfect Polish website. For any scratches in the panels I used a 5" variable speed grinder and a J Walter polishing system that uses scotchbrite or felt velcro backed pads and polishing compound cakes in 2 grades. The panels were placed on an old 4" thick piece of foam to minimize scratching while polishing and help hang onto the panel. It took a while to get the hang of pressure,speed,amount of compound.As far as cost is concerned I don't think I spent on any more on tools than if I were to farm out the Painting of the panels. This is how I justify the purchase of all my tools to myself . Really with a 7" variable speed polisher( Mine cost me $75) you can bring the panels up to an almost Mirror finish. The Cyclo removes any swirl left by the wool Pad and takes the finish to mirror finish. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: December 2, 2010, 1:17 pm 

Wow, what a beautifully, professionally done build! :cheers:

Where did you get the seats? Do you have a top made for the snaps on the top part of the windshield frame?

PostPosted: December 2, 2010, 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, The seats are from a Triumph Spitfire but I had to narrow up the frames 2". I had a local guy cover the seats. They are very comfortable. The top is in progress. I installed the snaps when I did the frame to avoid taking it apart later.The fellow that did the seats is going to do the top but he is booked til April. After driving it for a while in the fall i think side curtains are #1,so I'm trying to figure that out now.

PostPosted: December 2, 2010, 10:46 pm 

AS FAR AS side curtains some one at Phantom Engineering in North Vancouver is in the middle of building some, winter is coming. Mine won't need any till next fall......

PostPosted: December 2, 2010, 11:30 pm 

Without side curtains at speed, it gets very windy.So windy in fact that my registration papers that I had under the passenger seat in the plastic pouch you get from ICBC took flight, came out of the pouch and landed on the highway far behind me. I retrieved them but they had been run over a couple times.It would be interesting to see Phantom Engineering fellows design. I am going to do mine totally from aluminum/Lexan.

PostPosted: December 3, 2010, 11:06 am 

Clayton side doors are a goal for me also this winter. Post pic's as soon as possible. McMaster-Carr and Reid Tool have lift off SS hinges. I got mine 3 years ago and I need to use them. Russ

PostPosted: December 3, 2010, 1:39 pm 

Clayton,
Your project is a wonderful effort and I congratulate you. What's that expression about rising tides and boats? You just raised my personal bar, thanks for sharing.

Geoff :cheers: