LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post subject: My Megabusa
PostPosted: December 12, 2010, 12:12 pm 

Hi Guys and Girls (if there are any, Girls that is)
cosmick here from across the pond. I live in Polegate Sussex England.I have built a Megabusa and have just registered with this website so this is my first post. Here is my car, I will be looking at the site from time to time and may be able to answer questions especially related to Hayabusa engines.
Attachment:
MEGABUSA 078.jpg
Attachment:
MEGABUSA 095.JPG
Attachment:
MEGABUSA 096.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My Megabusa
PostPosted: December 12, 2010, 2:40 pm 

Well, first…COOL CAR!

Second, I am not sure tape would have been my first choice as a seat belt retention method.

Cheers,
Cobb :cheers:

PostPosted: December 12, 2010, 3:10 pm 

Shoot, that thing looks fast just sitting there. Nice!!!!

PostPosted: December 12, 2010, 4:10 pm 

You started it!!!
Now we need to see the entire driveline as well as any reverser setup you may have. We also need to see any and all oiling mods you have done. How are you connected to the drive sprocket and what gearing is in the rearend?
You need to show us "EVERYTHING"!

PostPosted: December 12, 2010, 4:45 pm 

I am sorry about the tape holding the seat belts, I had just carpetted the inside when that photo was taken. Here is a photo of the connection to the propshaft. This goes to a reverse gearbox halfway down the tunnel and then to a Ford Sierra Cosworth LSD 3.36 - 1 ratio. This gives a very respectable 0 - 60 of 3.5 seconds and a top speed of around 130MPH :D . I have no photos of the reverse gearbox but you can see them by looking up Quaiffe Transmissions on the www.
I have Drag Raced the car and its best 1/4 mile is 12.09 seconds with a terminal top speed of 113 MPH. Here is the link to one of the runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUT1eh1lfA

cosmick
Attachment:
MEGABUSA 007.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 22, 2011, 1:31 am 

Very nice Megabusa you have there!

Couple questions/comments.
1. What is the adjustable contraption on top of your top engine x-brace?
2. I suggest ditching the pair valve on the exhaust manifold, removing the pair tubes, and putting blockoff plates. It lessens backfires from the exhaust and removes a few pounds from the total weight.
3. What muffler is that with the twin exit? Doesn't look like the factory Westfield cat/muffler combo.
4. I bet the intake is really quiet with the factory airbox on. It sounds like it from the video. Could you tell a difference from the Westfield filter?
5. Are you running the factory Westfield dry sump kit? I see the reservoir, but no under body shots. I have a SBD pan/pump/slave cylinder with Westfield reservoir.
6. Have you weighed the entire car?
7. Is the engine running the stock ECU map? Or have you put a tune in it?
8. I'm always scared of a single roll bar without rear support. If you plan on any trackdays I highly recommend a Caged rollcage.

Keep in mind these are only my opinions. :)

PostPosted: January 24, 2011, 5:39 pm 

Hi Hank,

Firstly, I have watched your build with interest and it is good to speak. I like your car too in cool white.

1. The adjustable contraption on the X brace is the idle speed adjuster. This is no longer in that position, i have moved it to a thumbscrew directly on the throttle body now.
2. I have done away with the PAIR system during last winter rebuild. The engine is now 1340cc using a K8 crankshaft and a 1mm spacer under the cylinder. I got rid of the pair system at the same time. The engine picked up 15HP and 6 FT/lbs of torque.
3. The muffler is an Aprilia Milie item with a modified front pipe and 2 90 degree elbows welded on the end. I fitted this to lower the noise level as the Westfield muffler is too loud.
4. Yes, the airbox is totally silent and is connected to the V8 bonnet so I have a pressurised intake. The Pipercross/Westfield type air intake is very loud and is not good for power really as it takes warm air from under the bonnet (sorry Hood). I started to develop the standard airbox and have had very good results, so much so that I am now selling them to other kit car owners. Track days are getting hot on drive by noise testing in the UK and the air induction noise is sometimes louder than the exhaust.
5. I am running the Westfield dry sump set up with the belt driven oil pump. I have made a tensioner to adjust the belt tension as the pump is not adjustable to tension the belt.
6. I haven't weighed the car but it was around 500kgs according to the factory built ones.
7. I am using the Std Suzuki ECU with my own adjustments to the fuelling using a Yoshimura Adjust Box.
8. I appreciate your concerns about the roll bar and have considered changing it BUT and here,s the big BUT, I have a choice of 2 scuttles, one with an aeroscreen, plus the full windscreen. I also have a full roof and doors so fitting a rollcage would restrict the use of many things. Yes I have done track days with the car and, as you have seen, the odd 1/4 mile but I am not so worried about turning the car over as you.

Should you wish to contact me or see any photos of the modifications i have done, you can send me a message.

Kind regards, Mike (cosmick)

PostPosted: January 28, 2011, 6:37 pm 

Mike,

Thanks for addressing all of my questions/comments. I love the airbox mod!