LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: December 9, 2014, 4:31 pm 

While the in-car video is somewhat informative, overlaying the datalogs makes it even more interesting.

http://youtu.be/Scs3dw8f3B0

http://youtu.be/NU1GtHUm4RE

Data recorded with Innovate Motorsports AuxBox and processed using RaceRender. No affiliation, just fyi.

Ron

PostPosted: December 9, 2014, 6:54 pm 

Car is looking great keep up the good work. Your giving lots of nice ideas to copy from :-)

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 30, 2015, 10:41 pm 

As I mentioned last year, the videos with the closed case didn't come close to reproducing the actual sound of the car. So, this year I tried an open case with a remote mic placed over the right rear fender. It does a much better job.

http://youtu.be/F0EpYUa1D9g

PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 4:51 pm 

Finally got back to the splitter fabrication. Completed welding the structure. The attachment points are 1/8" wall bushings welded to the chassis that have been used previously to attach a front wing using cotterless hitch pins. Decided on 3/4" oak for the splitter material and rounded the leading edge with a router. End plates are bolted to the "filler" panels and attach to the splitter using 1/4" hitch pins. The panels are attached using 10-24 button-head allen bolts. Now let's go see how functional and durable it is.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 3, 2015, 11:24 pm 
Always Moore!

Looks good - nice work.

PostPosted: August 20, 2015, 3:37 pm 

Today's task was to take pics of the new paint job. Before I could get to it, the grandson was being crabby. So, I was told that a trip over to grandpa's house to swing and hear the race car engine was just the ticket. After some haming it up for the camera, the engine was fired. He was excited to observe the correlation between my right foot movement and the tach movement/increased decibels. He's really scared of most load noises, but this didn't phase him. :D
Then some assembly of the front panels and a pic of the new paint scheme.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 13, 2015, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 20, 2015, 3:49 pm 

That pic of grandson triggered memory of the previous generation. I found this one of our kids being raised to enjoy the small british car experience.

PostPosted: August 20, 2015, 10:55 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Ron!
I'm likin' the new paint scheme! Car looks good... The aero has to help with downforce, it looks too cool not to!

When ya goin' racing?
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 20, 2015, 11:53 pm 

Hey JD,
Thanks for the positive vibes man.
Yes, the aero has stuck the front better such that I had to reduce the rear roll stiffness to balance it. The rear bar had been 3/4" OD and the 5/8" OD bar on it now is about right. I'm still experimenting with the middle and soft settings. I'm always telling the other mod drivers that every event is a test session.
Next outing is the 12/13th of Sept.

I did test out the durability of the splitter at an event on June 13th. It held up fine when I hit a cone at about 55 mph. It was distracting because the splitter just kept bouncing it in front of the car.

http://youtu.be/Tp3L7CxU2QE

Ron

Last edited by seven13bt on August 23, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 7:10 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I'm always telling the other mod drivers that very event is a test session.
Ain't that the truth!!! Every time I've ever had the Slotus on-course at a Solo2, there was something different from last time that I was evaluating. If I can everrrrrr get the thing dialed in, perhaps I can then concentrate on driving!

Good luck with your "continued testing"! And with the new sport of "Cone Soccer" you have invented... :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 22, 2015, 3:50 pm 

Car is looking great I love the new paint scheme. I love how you have managed to make the car fairly aerodynamic and still look like A 7. You might want to add something of a tonneau cover over the passenger side to get some smooth air to the rear spoiler.

Something like this made a rigid material that is removable.
Attachment:
106105.jpg

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: August 22, 2015, 5:35 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I'm very curious about how the bodywork changes altered Cd. Any back-to-back comparisons for top speed?

PostPosted: August 22, 2015, 6:48 pm 

KB58,
That's a good question and one that I'd like to answer if/when there's an opportunity to do either top speed or coast-down testing. I'm not close to any road race tracks currently, but it might be possible to get some airport taxiway passes in at some point.

Ron

PostPosted: August 22, 2015, 7:18 pm 

Paul,
A rigid "tonneau" cover might be worth it for open track use, but there I'd be using a rear wing instead of the "barn door" spoiler. For solo use, it doesn't appear to be legal per the GCR. The Production car rules limit the height of covers for stuff in the passenger compartment of open cars to 6" below the top of the door. Factory or otherwise tonneau covers are prohibited.

Ron

PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 7:30 pm 

I managed to get the use of a private runway today. It was only 2600 ft long, but allowed accel to 70 - 80 mph and then coast down to 20 mph before the end. I ran the car with the rear spoiler and with/without the front aero parts. Speed was logged every 0.2 seconds. After crunching the numbers .......... Cd without the front aero is 0.78, Cd with the aero is 0.70.

Ron

edited due to incorrect frontal area used in initial calc. Using the correct area of 1.4 m^2 instead of 1.2 m^2 yields the values shown above.

Last edited by seven13bt on September 27, 2015, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next