LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: August 18, 2012, 8:22 pm 

I finished the car at the end of last summer just in time for fall, so I really did not get to play with it much.
On the other hand this has been a pretty exciting spring and summer.
I will say, this has been fun and I doubt that I could have gotten as much enjoyment anywhere else for the money spent.
Thanks to everyone and I mean everyone, on this forum, that encouraged me, offered advice and let me steal their ideas. 8)

There are two main thoughts to a build, donor car or no donor car, the choice is yours, either way works.

Myself I like to search the world for bargains, to me that is half the fun, so mine is a non donor build.
I no doubt will forget half of what is in the car, but the components used in the car basically are as follows.

Dimensions
Wheel base is 93 inches
Front track width is 58 inches
Rear track width is 56 inches
Weight is 1648 pounds with a half a tank of gas and rear tire carrier installed.

Frame
Modified Haynes, the basic frame has the dimensions of the Haynes with a 2 inch wider than book and 1 inch taller than book.
The back is standard book portion behind the seats sized to match the Haynes frame in order to use a live axle.
I also used several gussets as well as 1.00 dom round tubing for bracing and supports.
The front lower part that supports the engine is double 1x1 16ga welded parallel together.
The floor and pedal box area as well as the scuttle front panel is 16 ga steel.
The tubes that meet the tunnel behind the seats are also tied together with a 16 ga panel.
This extra support was in case I wanted to do a V8 engine swap in the future.
Of course this adds weight, as my use is for the street it was not a concern.
The roll bar is .120x1.5 inch tubing, the down tubes go all the way to the floor to provide some protection for the fuel tank

Front Suspension
The front suspension comprises of Mustang II spindles, Gaz shocks and 350 pound springs, moog ball joints, home made upper control arms using swedged tubes and heim joints.
The lower A arm is also home made with moog ball joints, and Triumph Spitfire rubber bushings and 1.00 DOM tubing.
Steering rack is a Mustang II unit cut down 3 inches.
Granada 11 inch rotors with GM calipers
2007 16x7 Mustang V6 aluminium wheels and three point spinners, Ebay, the Lotus inserts came from Ebay Greece.
Tires are Tire Rack General Ultra High Performance summers 205x50x16, speed rated for 168 mph :lol: , yah right

Rear Suspension
The rear suspension uses Gaz shocks and 200 pound springs, home made five link set up using heims and Spitfire rubber bushings as well as a 8.8 rear 31 spline axle out of a Ford Explorer.
Ratio is 3.73 with limited slip.
10x 2.5inch drums with Speedway proportioning valve
Emergency brake is Honda, pick a part

Body
The body and interior is 16 ga aluminium panels as is the hood.
Fibreglass front clamshells, hood scoop and rear fenders.
Clamshells have been cut and widened to cover the wheels and the nose cone has been also modified slightly for height.
Paint was done in a home made booth in my home garage by myself.
2003 Mustang yellow, with a 2005 Chevy black, all done in a single stage paint.
Outside mirrors are Austin Healy reproductions.
Hood hinges are TR2

Engine
The engine is a 3.4 GM Crate motor
Approximately 200 horse power and 210 pounds of torque, give or take a smudge.
9 to 1 compression
Lift .427 intake and .454 exhaust
Duration 204* intake and 216* exhaust
Lobe center line 107*
Holley 390 cfm carb with 62 jets and 7.5 power valve
Edlebrock intake with a cut down top hat
Aluminum under drive pulleys
Proform modified HEI distributor
Speedway hot rod chrome one wire alternator
Comp roller lifters
Fiero aluminium valve covers
Accel wiring harness
Home made headers using .083 by 1.5 inch tubing, 2 inch side pipes with 1962 Chevy truck round tube Quiet Flow mufflers.

Transmission
1993 Sonoma WC 1352- 232, pick a part
Ratios 3.76-2.18-1.42-1-.72 (Tremec confirmation by email for a 1352-232)

Interior
Kirkey bomber seats
Head rests are out of an Infinity, pick a part
Drivers seat is adjustable, passenger side is fixed
Steering wheel is wood and from Argentina, ebay
Gauges are Autometer Platinum series off Ebay
Indicator lights are billet from local supplier.
Headlights are Speedway stainless buckets.
Chrome park and turn fender indicators are from Ebay UK
Rear lights are Britax from "Jack"
Switch gear is from Ebay, UK
Vinyl covering is from Blue Devil, not sure he is on this forum any longer, super product, same material used in a new Mercedes interior.
Pedals are Wilwood as are m/c, ebay
Main Power disconnect with key from ebay UK
Moab 28,000 3 speed heater with defrosters and dash vents
MG wiper system with modified aluminum wiper arms

Fuel
Tank is a 15 gallon RCI
Pump is an Edelbrock 6.5 psi Quiet Flo, free flow rate 120gpm, off Ebay
Speedway cartridge fuel filters
Fuel line is 3/8ths wire wrap brake line continuous

I guess that is about it, cost worked out to $9800 US or Canadian with the fluctuating dollar.

Most of my stuff was obtained from Ebay or other discount places.
So basically I am into the car for around 10 grand, which I think is a pretty good bargain, not counting my labour, being retired my labour is worth nothing if you compare it to the alternative of sitting around drinking a beer or two and staring up to the clouds all day.

Inspection
I sent all my documentation off to the motor vehicle department in the form of a presentation, headings and sub headings, with photos.
I went to a government vehicle weigh scale that was free, the fellow at the scale was a sports car fan and gave me an official form with my weights to send with my documentation.
My VIN number was sent to the inspection station where I had stipulated, approximately an hours drive.
Not trusting my work I towed the car there using a Landscape trailer
The inspection went through without a hitch.
It cost me $98.00 and was a bargain as far as I was concerned.
On the way home I pulled the trailer into an insurance lot,the agent came out and, checked the VIN number and gave me my insurance, registration and plates.
And that was it.

Photos
Car at the local car show
Car on landscape trailer off to be inspected, can we spell stress :shock:
I would have more photos, but once I get into the car I get all excited and roar off leaving my camera sitting in the garage. :roll:

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by raceral on August 19, 2013, 12:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: August 20, 2012, 7:13 pm 

Thats one nice looking build AL..love the color and the black guards i dont usually like locosts or even lotus 7"s with full guards ..but yours..looks just right..well done..loving that trailer too..whats the second tow ball in the front for is it just an alternative size ??

Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: August 20, 2012, 9:33 pm 

Thanks Dave, the clamshells worked out quite nicely, I still like the cycle fenders as well.
I was thinking I might make a set of cycle fenders over the winter, partly to just have a change if I want, and also to have a spare set should something happen to one of the the clamshells.

The ball on the trailer is for attaching my 2000 pound winch, it normally sits in the car trunk and has a steel plate that drops over the ball, that way it can be used on an ordinary car trailer hitch as well.
It is a way of not having it on the trailer full time, or risk the winch becoming some ones midnight purchase :)

Al

PostPosted: August 21, 2012, 1:51 am 
The voice of reason

That's one nice car, the best of the show in your picture, by a country mile! :)

Are your track numbers measured across the outside of the wheels, like the width of the car at the tires, instead of from the wheel centerline?

JUst curious because I was looking at pictures of your build to see the different proportions. The side shot of the frame with your motor was helpful for me.

PostPosted: August 21, 2012, 11:12 am 

horizenjob wrote:
That's one nice car, the best of the show in your picture, by a country mile! :)

Are your track numbers measured across the outside of the wheels, like the width of the car at the tires, instead of from the wheel centerline?

JUst curious because I was looking at pictures of your build to see the different proportions. The side shot of the frame with your motor was helpful for me.

Marcus, you are absolutely correct in questioning the track width, I have so many measurements scribbled down on paper, that I have posted the track width incorrectly.
I will fix that right away, the actual track width is 58" for the front and 56" for the rear.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :D

Al

PostPosted: September 13, 2012, 1:41 pm 

Very nice. :cheers: I like the colors. I bought a similar trailer. Keep it simple.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 7:14 pm 

Thanks for the compliment, the trailer worked out real well, I have since sold it to a friend, and in hindsight kind of wish I hadn't.
I used my wife's '97 T-bird to tow it and the car didn't sag or even know the trailer was on the back, kind of surprised me actually.

Al