LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post subject: Zyko's R1 powered Seven
PostPosted: June 9, 2014, 7:03 pm 

Hello to the Locost Community,

i was able to get my hand on ace3's car back in April and got it to Ohio in early May. Out of state inspection, insurance and registration went pretty smooth.

Here is the car:
Attachment:
IMG_20140513_164536_502.jpg

The car came with PowerCommander and Speedohealer. So installed them, made a testrun to find out the spedometer needs to be brought down by 41%, programmed that into the speedohealer and it just works perfectly.
I always wanted to have a car with quickshifter, but PC wants to have 200$ for the quickshift sensor :( After looking at the available handlebar button I started to think that the sensor can only be an ordinary swith. Did some research and I found evidence that a lot of people have put all kinds of switches on their bikes to have a quickshifter. I ended up buying a 9V adapter for the PC and a microswitch with a long lever. Mounted that to the shifting linkage. Works great and i only paid 18$ :)
Attachment:
IMG_20140527_191852_251.jpg

I was all excited about the updates and then this:
Attachment:
IMG_20140520_194109_764.jpg

Luckily our welding instructor at work was able to put it back together and reinforce it. Car was down for less than 2 weeks.

I have also put in a black aluminum grill and painted an orange "7" on it and I am currently putting a "trunk lid" on the car. I will post pictures later.

Planned future upgrades:
- fuel sensor
- 12V outlet
- overload protection (maybe one touch) for the electric hand brake
- wire up the turn signals into the spedometer unit
- replace malfunctioning oil level sensor
- add oil pressure sensor

Overall I am very happy with the car and proud that this is no longer a childhood dream :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 9, 2014, 8:45 pm 

Cycle the suspension thru it's travel and look for something hitting, that looks like you may have bottomed out and ripped the bracket. ...

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 6:54 am 

I don't think so. hard to see in the picture, but the bracket was barely welded on to the axle.

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 11:36 am 

I keep waiting for mine to do that. One thing, though. The brackets look way too close to the axle. The half-holes for the axle are just about all the way back in the bracket, leaving almost no "sides". More side area might've strengthened the bracket enough to keep it from breaking.