LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post subject: Martin's Reven 7
PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 2:42 pm 

Well it is time to add the Reven 7 to the completed builds.
Here are some of my build details.
The frame is based on the Haynes book, but virtually all the dimensions have been changed to fit my particular build. I had also wanted to incorporate a full roll cage, so some extra tubing was added, not only to provide lateral support, but also to allow mounting for the long trailing links. The rear section was also made from roll cage tubing to provide some extra protection for the fuel tank
The engine is a 2005 Yamaha R1. I had been intrigued by the BEC concept very early on, and although I had no intention to build a track car, I could not pass up the lure of a high revving engine. I also enjoyed the challenge of matching all the various components needed to make it a well functioning car. To accomplish a reverse, I took various ideas, and found a way to design an electric reverse. It is a simple starter motor (HiTorque SBC) mounted in the bottom of the tunnel, that engages a gear, that is welded to the fixed portion of the two piece driveshaft. It spins the driveshaft in the opposite direction, when the engine is in neutral. It is a bit loud, sounds a bit like a geared funicular, but it is very effective in moving the car. I have found that it is very easy to push, the roll cage provides for good handholds, and I only use the reverse, when I'm strapped in and need to quickly back up. Otherwise, it is just as convenient to do it by hand.
The rear end is a live axle from a 1994 Ford Mustang. One of the challenges of BECs, is the final drive ratio. Bike engines are geared fairly tall, in my case the R1 has about a 2.64 ratio, and most IRS differentials are too short for that. To account for the heavier weight, the engine needs to be geared shorter, and research had shown that a 3.27 ratio was about right. I am able to cruise at about 100 km/h (60 mph) around 6,000 RPM. Not in minivan territory, but acceptable to me.
The front suspension is inboard, with coil overs from Yamaha R1s. I enjoyed the challenge of going that route, it also seemed fitting to use more motorcycle parts, and it was a little more "locost". The rear suspension is traditional coil overs with a live axle, however, I did change the 4 link trailing arms to a Mallock design.
All the body panels, except for the tunnel, are fully removable and fastened with machine screws. The are not painted, but rather wrapped with a vinyl wrap. Should I wish to change the colour in the future, it will be very easy.
The final, official weight, is 610 kg (1,340 lbs), which is heavier than most BEC builds. However, I did not intend to make it super light, but strong and safe. One of these days I will put it on some more accurate corner weight scales, to see if it is really correct. But at the end of the day, it does not really matter.
My whole build philosophy was to create a fun toy, that I can take on a spirited drive over the local country roads on a sunny day. I am fortunate that I live in a place, where empty roads are just minutes from my house and I do not need to worry about traffic. The car is totally impractical, loud and not user friendly, but it is exactly what I wanted. A 20 minute rip up the Meadows Road after work, and I have a big smile on my face. That's all I need.

Here is my build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
Here is my build video and some other little vignettes:
https://vimeo.com/143524140
https://youtu.be/4Npf3GsIPQc
https://youtu.be/gwIxgKMOY3E

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

Post subject: Re: Martin's Reven 7
PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 3:51 pm 

Looks great! If you don't mind my asking, what's a ballpark figure for doing a wrap? I'm usually pretty decisive, but the whole paint/color issue keeps buzzing around in my mind, and the solution remains elusive. I hadn't thought of a wrap...until now!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 3:58 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I had not seen it since completion. It looks great; very professional looking.

What's your next project?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 8, 2015, 12:22 am 

Thanks, guys.
zetec7, I figure about $ 250. I was a bit optimistic, in my youthful exuberance, and ordered too little material. There is a bit of waste, since some panels are less than symmetrical, and unlike paint, you can't just go by square footage. So I had to re-order. But I think that it is a good ballpark figure. I used vvidd, which is less expensive than 3M. So far, I am very happy with it. http://vvividvinyl.com/portfolio

Miatav8. You had to ask the question. :rofl: It takes one to know one.
My first project is a new rec room, that has been on my honey-do-list for some time. I was fortunate to have a workshop and a garage; however, I had always planned to turn the workshop into a rec room for the girls, and now that the car is done, I have merged the two, and this particular project will get done. But for a real, next project, the wheels have been turning for quite some time. I've wanted to get more into metal shaping (thanks, Lonnie-S) and utilize the skills that I learned from this build. So I ended up with a plan to do a scratch built Porsche 550 with an aluminum body. I've just bought the plans for a frame, and I am tooling up for the metal shaping. This is a very long term project (I figure about 5 years +), but I have a perfectly good toy to play with in the meantime. :twisted:

My build log:
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"