LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Site down! Site up!
PostPosted: February 1, 2011, 1:52 am 

Dave, if you don't mind me asking, what does it cost to support the site on an annual basis?

PostPosted: February 1, 2011, 2:02 am 
The voice of reason

It's great we have so many people that are willing to contribute. It's a great crwod here. My impression is the issue is not so much of cost but simply it's a detail that needs to watched. Things go fine for long periods of time, but we do keep growing and periodically need to check up on it. In a way it's good news, with more content and more builders we're going to get more people on the road in interesting cars. Just like these cars, you may feel the occasional bump in the road! :)

PostPosted: February 1, 2011, 2:03 am 

Would setting up an archive help to control bandwidth usage?

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 7:18 am 

IMO, the site should stop hosting pictures (while keeping the old ones, if that's possible). There's plenty of free picture hosting websites, and I hate finding forums on the internet and being forced to sign up before seeing photos. It's not really much easier to upload photos with the site than it is to use photobucket or picasa, and once someone learns one photo sharing site, they don't need to learn another (unlike using multiple forums to upload photos).

EDIT - I made a mistake, apparently this forum still displays pictures even if you're logged out. Limiting the display of pictures to logged in members would substantially lower the bandwidth usage, I think that should be done at a minimum. I know I said I hate having to be logged in to see photos, and I still think using a 3rd party site to host pictures is better, but hosting photos for anyone who stumbles onto this site is definitely going to eat through bandwidth.

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 7:27 am 
We are Slotus!

krepus wrote:
Would setting up an archive help to control bandwidth usage?

So, They'd put all the "old stuff" in an archive? Horizenjob, I'll miss ya... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 8:22 am 

haha, i agree with the off site image hosting and a donation button. only problem is whenever i donate to a site, i stop going to that site for whatever reason...

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 8:56 am 

Horizon, something tells me you wouldn't be lonely... Haha!

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 9:07 am 
-the man.

IMO, leave the site the way it is. No one can fault the contents or operation, just the funding. Lets fund it and don't mess with it.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 9:31 am 
We are Slotus!

RacerDan wrote:
IMO, leave the site the way it is. No one can fault the contents or operation, just the funding. Lets fund it and don't mess with it.

No disrespect to Firebat, but I agree totally with RacerDan. To be honest, I don't know exactly what would be involved with "off site photo hosting" but it sounds more complicated than the current "upload attachment" button, and I'm all for "simple" like it is now.
:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: February 2, 2011, 10:25 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Wow! You guys are the best! We'll think about adding a donation button...in some of our spare time! ;-)

horizenjob wrote:
It's great we have so many people that are willing to contribute. It's a great crwod here. My impression is the issue is not so much of cost but simply it's a detail that needs to watched. Things go fine for long periods of time, but we do keep growing and periodically need to check up on it.

Horizen nailed it. The time invested in the site dwarfs the cash costs. Without Team Mod's tireless efforts, this site would have gone offline (or overrun with spam, trolls and idjits) long ago.

Hmm...maybe instead of donating a cash, it will take ten minutes to click on "Donate." That ten minutes would then extend my day by nine minutes. (TimePal gets a cut, you know.) If this site REALLY took off, I could live to two hundred...if not forever!

Then again...maybe if enough people clicked, I'd live weeks or even months before tomorrow. If we got slashdotted, I'd be old and dead by noon.

Maybe that's not such a good idea.

Maybe we'll just leave things like they are.

-dave "plenty of spare time, thankyouverymuch" hempy

ps. Next time a member of Team Mod passes through your town, buy him dinner and offer him your couch to sleep on. That will earn more goodwill than anything!

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]