LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donor section editing
PostPosted: February 15, 2011, 4:24 pm 

I would like to post a section for building a Locost using Corolla GTS as a donor. Describing the required modifications and parts needed for a book frame build. But I would like others to be allowed to edit or add to any of the 8 sections. This would make it easier to find info if it is all grouped by area or section. I'm sure there are other builders for the more common donors like Miata's, RX-7s, and S-10, that could add insight for a new builder, and have the info located in one general file for that type of donor. Dave W

PostPosted: February 15, 2011, 8:23 pm 

I could add some insight.
:cheers:

PostPosted: February 15, 2011, 9:20 pm 

Dave (Hi Graham),
When Ken Howatson was operating MCC he used Corollas almost exclusively. I was part of the team mostly doing electrical/electronics for him. The Seven I'm building now is a mix of Corolla, Tercel w' GM drive line.

I don't really have numbers, but I think it's fair to say that over the years there have been more Toyota based Sevens than any other type of donor. The 4AGE made power in stock form right up to 7500 and never broke. The 5 speed was just as good, a great choice for a drive line.

I'll be happy to support your effort. I think it's a super idea.

Best of Luck

Geoff :cheers:

PostPosted: February 15, 2011, 10:49 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Dave - Great to hear your willingness to develop the site.

Currently, we don't have individual forums for specific donors -- Corolla, Miata, Mustang, etc. That's not to say that wouldn't be a good organization. About the closest we have currently is the Engine/Drivetrain forum. It has a lot of donor-specific threads.

As for other systems, they are probably better suited to a system-organized forum -- brakes, electrical, etc. You can certainly make a post about Corolla radiators in the Cooling section, and tag it as such.

Another option is to create a page that indexes relevant threads across the site. Chet started one for Miatas. Problem with these are that they tend to not be kept up-to-date too well. If you wanted to adopt this thread and collect (and maintain) links to site-wide Corolla threads, that would be fantastic!

If we had one (or several) librarians willing to maintain such a thread for a variety of donors (Corolla, Thunderbird, Miata, S10, Sonnet :wink: , etc), I'd happily create a new top-level forum for those indexes...but I'd still steer discussions of Corolla brakes to the Brakessection, not a Corolla section.

Another approach would be to create a cookbook for your favorite donor. This would be something more substantial than an index of related posts across the site. It could be a build log. It could be a book. This would be a substantial undertaking, and would be of great value to other builders of the same ilk.

Maybe there's a phpBB guru amongst us who can jazz up the site to include make/model tags, etc., that would help automate searches/indexes, etc. Anyone?

If you'll start building a resource along these lines (or something else) finding or creating the right place to put it is the easy part, and I'll happily work with you in that regard.

Other thoughts/opinions?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: February 16, 2011, 1:59 am 
Weight watcher

I think that it would take away from the current forum structure quite a bit, because making it donor centric covers in a way everything related to that specific donor.
Meaning when one wants to ask about miata diff, would it go in the miata donor section or in the engine/drivetrain section?

Doesn't work for me, sorry.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: February 21, 2011, 2:17 am 

I tend to agree with Moti, but I can see both sides. By not separating out everything in a highly detailed manner, the site kind of sucks me into reading almost everything that gets posted in a category I'm looking into. While it does mean more reading and more effort to find exactly what I need sometimes, the end result is that I've learned quite a number of things that I could easily have missed out on by not reading as widely. The down side is that there have been a few times times when I have wanted a smaller haystack when looking for that one specific needle.

A nice "how to search this site using Google" tutorial thread with a sticky at the top of the FAQ section might be a good compromise. It might even be possible to "can" some of the more common searches into clickable links that would then bring up all the relavent threads.