LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 18, 2011, 9:23 pm 

Just wondering if it would be ok to start a thread in the Suppliers forum for local members to post in. For example, I am looking for a local place that stocks fender welting. There are several members in the general area who may know who sells it.
So the idea would be to have a post titled "local suppliers in the GVRD (Vancouver) area. In this thread a local person would say "anyone know who sells/stocks X?". Anyone who knows the a place would pipe up.

It's just always nice to buy local if you can, and it seems like a tidy way of local guys helping each other do that (and save shipping costs/time). But it goes against "In this forum there should be a thread for each type of part." in the "read this before posting" thread.

Cheers.
Cory

PostPosted: July 19, 2011, 1:06 am 

Sounds good to me (self-serving response, I'm afraid). Those of us out here in BC (apparently, diametrically opposed to the "center of the universe" - Toronto - just ask anyone who lives there!) often find it difficult to locate materials like that, even with a lot of research. Considering the amount of stuff we'll all need along the way (and fender welting is one of the things I, too, will need), it sure would be handy. Of course, there are a lot of local areas represented on this forum!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: July 19, 2011, 2:01 am 

Perhaps an expansion on the idea, regional boards? I know we're not the most active board as is, so regional boards would make it seem a little bit slower too, but having something to the effect of "East Coast US", "Rocky Mountains US", "West Coast US", (I'd suggest some for Canada, but alas, I am an ignorant American and don't really know how to best divide The United States of Candaland :P )

PostPosted: July 19, 2011, 2:49 am 

i just picked up fender welting , and welting adhesive at the "OLD CAR CENTER" in NORTH LANGLY. I came in vinyl and rubber and chrome.

AL :chev:

PostPosted: July 19, 2011, 9:57 am 
The voice of reason

I think it's a fine idea. Not sure what local means these days though. Something that's an hours drive doesn't seem like the limit for a local area, but that's not a very big area. With so many places doing shipping now, local may just mean not having to go through customs. THe most local place has become my keyboard.

In general I think it's OK to start a thread without asking. We can always move or re-arrange it later, but we do very little of that.

PostPosted: July 19, 2011, 10:02 am 

It should be pretty easy to set up sub-boards by region just to organize it a bit.

PostPosted: July 19, 2011, 11:46 am 

Cory, one place you can almost always find fender welting is a merchant that caters to the classic VW crowd.

PostPosted: July 20, 2011, 8:26 am 

skou wrote:
It should be pretty easy to set up sub-boards by region just to organize it a bit.

I'm not sure the site has enough traffic to justify regional boards. Even on board where there are thousands of visitors per day, the regional boards can have trouble staying relevant. Here, I think the suggestion of focused threads like "Dallas / Ft. Worth suppliers" would better suited that need.