LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 11:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Many times members post some very good links that will take a while to peruse, but because almost all links open up in the same page I have to either hope I'll remember what thread the link was in and will be able to find it later, quit viewing and leave the page open till I have time to come back, or stop what I'm doing and scan the linked site.

It would be so much better if the links opened on their own page and that will give me the option of leaving it open until I have time.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post subject: Re: New page for links
PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 11:52 pm 

Carguy, you can do that yourself. Just right click on the highlighted link and select your choice: open in a new tab; open in a new window, etc.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 29, 2013, 10:17 am 

Chuck
you can make it a global setting in the admin control panel if you want to.

I like to open links in a new tab. It keeps me from losing my place here.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 12:38 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

We can do that (and may), but I think Chuck nailed it. As a skilled Internet surfer, "Open in New Tab" is a critical skill when you don't want to lose your place. Right click is the sure-fire, forgotten-proof method, but Ctrl-Click does the same thing (in all the browsers I use, anyway) and becomes completely natural. I highly recommend making a point of using it for a few days, and it will become automatic.

What do the rest of you think of setting this site's global default for external links to open in a new tab?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 1:04 am 
Toyotaphobe

Tried it and it works, but is counter intuitive because virtually no place else I visit makes you right click therefore you'll (I'll) forget to do it.

I'm so used to clicking a link & having it open into another tab that I'm not sure it would ever be second nature.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 8:58 am 

I did it in global settings on my site because the fishing forum is "mostly" internet un-skilled.

I even did a few tutorials on hosting pics for dummies and how to take a good catch and release photo for fishermen.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 10:00 am 

Quote:
I'm so used to clicking a link & having it open into another tab that I'm not sure it would ever be second nature.

And I'd say that less than 20% (probably less than 10%) of the sites I visit, open their links in a new tab or window. This feature may be more prevalent in some of the social websites. But even the biggies like eBay use the same tab for clicking linked pages. I'm OK with whatever way this site wants to set the default.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 11:09 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Agreed...most sites link in-frame.

One issue with defaulting to opening in new tab is that there are then no options for the user. Everyone will be getting new tabs, whether they want it or not. Linking in-frame lets users that care choose another way.

I guess my inclination is to leave it as is, but I'm not hell-bent on it.

Other opinions or preferences from the masses?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 11:49 am 

My personal preference is that it always opens in a new tab from the types of sites where I do a lot of reading and research to be able to move back and forth more easily, and I do appreciate when web sites do so. I often find myself trying to remember if this or that site opens in the same tab or a new tab, as I still haven't been able to train myself to do it manually every time I click a link. I can tell you of many times I didn't think about it and ended up leaving the page that I wanted to have stay open...And I'm really struggling to come up with a single obscure scenario where it would be to any significant advantage to have a link leave the page I was on or where opening in a new tab would present any significant inconvenience.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 11:55 am 

Looks like we've changed to open in a new tab 8)

oops, nevermind, it looks like links in signatures open in a new tab

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 12:39 pm 

Can the site be confiugured to allow the "user control panel" to determine this? I cannot find that IE allows for this as default, only whether a new tab vs a new window opens, not overriding the opening of links to the main window. I wonder of Chrome or Firefox has this user feature?

I'd hate to see this site be out of the "normal" for functionality.

BTW I have just learned that <ctrl> click forces a new tab to open; while <shift>click opens a new window. Learn something new every day, Thanks Dave. :cheers:

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 12:54 pm 
Toyotaphobe

rx7locost wrote:

BTW I have just learned that <ctrl> click forces a new tab to open; while <shift>click opens a new window. Learn something new every day, Thanks Dave. :cheers:

Yup, we learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Sometimes those are the ones you remember the best cause strange things happened to cause you to learn that new fact. Like the shady areas on your favorite twisty road don't dry out as quickly as the other parts of the road. :oops:

Since we've been talking about this I've been paying particular attention to which sites open in a new tab and which don't and I almost can't find another site that doesn't open a new tab so that you don't lead people away from your site. Once you've left, you may not come back seems to be the prevailing internet wisdom.

I never go to ebay so I have no idea how they handle things.

For me it's just convenience. Many times I don't have time to take the time to explore a new site so I'll leave the tab open until I can. If I have to leave Locost then I either have to jump thru a bunch of hopes to get back and keep the other site or leave the other site and pray I remember which thread I found the link in. I don't find that thread very often unless someone quotes it in a latter post.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 1:38 pm 

Sorry to prolong this discussion, but.......
Quote:
If I have to leave Locost then I either have to jump thru a bunch of hopes to get back and keep the other site or leave the other site and pray I remember which thread I found the link in. I don't find that thread very often unless someone quotes it in a latter post.

Since we are in a learning mode, if you can't remember a site that you visted earlier in the day, then you can go to the upper righthand corner of IE, click the "star" icon, then click on the "History" tab, then "view by order visited today" You'd probably recognize the site by the description.

You had me check though. Yahoo.com, Amazon.com, Craigslist.com, Weather.com, USPS.com, Facebook.com, Linkedin.com, Napaonline.com, USPS.com, FedEx.com, UPS.com, all seem to open links to new pages in the same main window. My on-line financial acounts all open new pages in the main window. I think thaat it for security reasons so you don't forget to close out a different tab/window when leaving their site. I have only one site that I regularly visit that opens links in new tabs. Bringatrailer.com seems to do both opening a new window/tab or the main window depending upon some internal reasons. Maybe I'm missing your point?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 1:54 pm 

I'd prefer links be left opening in the same tab--If things automatically open in new tabs or windows, there's a proliferation of tabs and windows that's not as controllable. And, as mentioned, there are already plenty of ways of opening a new tab (Also: middle-click/clicking on the scroll wheel will usually open a new tab).

For finding information on threads that have disappeared from the "active topics" list, I really like using Google's site-specific searches:
For example, if I wanted to find a thread on LocostUSA.com that referenced "miata wiring harness" for example, one can type into Google:

site:locostusa.com miata wiring harness
Attachment:
search.PNG
And get the following, all-LocostUSA.com results: https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&out ... ng+harness

It works for any base site--if you're looking for a specific article on Autoblog, use site:autoblog.com, etc. Then, with those links, I can just middle click the ones I want to open in new tabs and see if they're applicable or useful to me for whatever I'm trying to do.

On the opposite side of things: Ctrl-W will close a tab (or window if there's only one tab), so I don't have to navigate to the tab bar and click the 'x' on each thread. Then also my left hand is already close for copy and paste (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V), undo (Ctrl-Z), etc. And my thumb is on spacebar, to page down.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 2:39 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
You had me check though. Yahoo.com, Amazon.com, Craigslist.com, Weather.com, USPS.com, Facebook.com, Linkedin.com, Napaonline.com, USPS.com, FedEx.com, UPS.com, all seem to open links to new pages in the same main window. My on-line financial acounts all open new pages in the main window.

mattrogers wrote:
I'd prefer links be left opening in the same tab--If things automatically open in new tabs or windows, there's a proliferation of tabs and windows that's not as controllable.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe this is the same thing. You guys seem to be talking about the normal operation of navigating around within a given site, where as my interpretation is specifically regarding hyperlinks to new pieces of information. Basically the question (for me personally at least) isn't whether it should open a new tab when you click on "View Active Topics" or any other navigation links at the top of the page (it shouldn't), but whether it should open in a new tab when you click the following type of links posted to direct fellow users to other useful threads or sites:

Click Here
or
Click Here

Either way, it seems that the linking above is currently opening in a new tab for me. I don't know if the settings have already been changed, if it's just the browser I'm using right now, or if I'm the one who is misinterpreting the concern...But that is the annoyance in particular that I was mentioning previously.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie